Antelope 2018

Discussion in 'Grip and Grins' started by Rachgier, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yeah buddy!

Wanted the monster buck I was watching meander my way from over 1,000 yards out when this dude strolled by my hide at 40 yards. He's not a monster but he's in the freezer. He's even got two cutters on one prong so while not a Pope and Young, he's a trophy. Got a little over 16lbs from the rear quarters, 12-ish pounds of burger meat, and 3 meals worth of straps and loins off him. About 40lbs of meat all told.

I was out solo today so had to drive home to have the real grip and grin done. Used the knife dad bought me right before he died to gut, skin, and process it.
    20180913_152710.jpeg 20180913_155314.jpeg 20180913_163131.jpeg 20180913_183338.jpeg

lklawson, yworrydog, greg_r and 3 others like this.
  2. Fracman

Fracman Member

Pretty sure that is not an antelope. Better check your species. Very nice pronghorn. Have to love hunting season nice kill with a bow

3. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Nope. It is a Pronghorn. Unique to here only. Not related to anything else. A unique animal only native to NA.

Antilocapra americana

4. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Nope. It is a Pronghorn. Unique to here only. Not related to anything else. A unique animal only native to NA.
    Pronghorn
    Antilocapra americana

5. Rachgier

Yeah, it's actually an American Pronghorn which is colloquially referred to as the American antelope, pronghorn antelope, prairie antelope, or simply antelope because it closely resembles the original antelope but is slightly different due to parallel evolution. They're also the only surviving member of a 12 subgroup family?

They're actually closely related to giraffes, but are distant cousins to modern day antelopes and gazelles. Fastest land animal in North America, 2nd fastest in the world, tops out at 55 mph but can go for miles compared to the cheetahs 700 yards?

I like to research my prey, but am not above using colloquialisms.

I ordered a new coffee cup this morning, check it out. 61Ja4aBDXZL._SX425_.jpeg

6. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

7. Rachgier

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the hunt although that non matching Camo is a bit of a fashion violation.

[​IMG]

9. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

Rach needs some m2d camo!

www.m2d camo.com

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Non matching camp is the only thing to use on speed goats. They see so well, if you wear matching, they know you are a hunter. Non matching, they see you, but they can’t figure it out.

Hey Joe, you see that lump that looks kinda like a hunter?
    Yeah Larry, but, it can’t be a hunter, the top and bottom don’t line up.
    Guess you’re right, Joe. Let’s ignore whatever it is and maybe it will go away.

Rachgier and OldOutlaw like this.
  11. Rachgier

Meh. I've got Sitka, Kryptek, mossy oak this, real tree that, marpat, woodland, ACU, none of it matters. There ain't shit for cover out here. It's a wide open prairie with the occasional cholla for concealment. Light green grass with dark green cactus bushes sticking up. Despite all the expensive camo in the gear bag, my old marpat works the best out here for color matching. It was also 102° yesterday. I was not in the mood for long sleeves.

Besides, I'm the one taking multiple lopes 3 years running with primitive weapons on public land while the locals complain they can't get within rifle range.

Attached Files:

Mechnic, SWAGA, ajole and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    So, where are you in the photo? :)

Pistolkitty, Rachgier and ajole like this.
  13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    How many guys read " It's a wide open prairie with the occasional cholla for concealment." and said, "What the HECK is a CHOL-LA?":p

I hear they have a lot of it near La Jolla, in Cali...:rotfl:

Rachgier likes this.
  14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    He's on the side of that dead antelope, of course....he's the one with a beard, but no horns.

Oh...you meant the other picture... :bacon:

15. Rachgier

Cholla, pronounced choy-ya.

16. Rachgier

That photo was actually used for evidence. A private land owner decided to throw up a new gate and fence on his allotment, blocking off access to about 800 acres of public land and a Forest Service water tank. A lot more hunters are coming down in to the grasslands and being jerks. Leaving gates open, trespassing on private tracts, and dumping vehicle garbage everywhere. So far this year I've picked up about 30 or 40 empty bottles and cans and a couple of bags of garbage after the weekenders come through.

I've had to go to 3 different rancher's homes to get them to take the locks and chains off of gates that are public access. The owner of the new gate in the picture refused to open his gate so I showed it to CPW. Now it's not locked anymore and he got fined for the fence.

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Oh, thought maybe you were one of those clumps of bushes visable there wearing one of these.

[​IMG]

Rachgier likes this.
  18. Rachgier

I made a couple of those back in the day. Wish I still had them.