Any archery people?

Discussion in 'The Archery Zone' started by Rachgier, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

So I recently (this morning) decided to get back in to archery. My BIL had an old Darton SL50 compound bow that he gave me and now we're off to the races. He and his daughter shoot and I decided that along with me handling the firearms instruction for my kids, he could teach the kids about archery along with helping me knock a bit of the rust off.

The bow is stripped and I know it isn't worth much, maybe $50 at most, so I will probably end up putting about $150 in to it with the sights, arrows, rest, etc. Seeing as I am starting out it doesn't make sense for me to go full out and drop a ton of money in to a newer bow and toys until I'm ready to step up my game. Plus I have the 14 y/o son in to scouting and he did some bow shooting this week and is really interested in it as well, and once I get this bow set up I can always hand it down to him and pick myself up a new one down the road.

I posed the question to Austin, and am asking you all here as well, if maybe we wouldn't want to put up a dedicated archery board similar to the knife and blade area. That way any posts about it wouldn't get buried in another section.

2. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I've shot bows for 60 years (started when I was 5); however, I'm not into compound bows. I read a book on them over 14 years ago to help my son tune up his Mathews Featherlight. Unfortunately, I forgot most of what I learned at that time about compound bows. The accessories change so fast in the in the compound side of the sport that if one doesn’t constantly keep up with new products one can be left behind with outdated equipment and knowledge in short time.

I’ve got 10 different recurve bows but nowadays few people are interested in traditional archery. I like shooting recurves instinctively because they are simple to shoot and are much lighter to carry than compounds. Recurves weigh one pound to one and a half pounds whereas a compound with sights, arrow rest, stabilizer and other paraphernalia usually weighs between 5.5 to 7 pounds. Compound bows are great for hunting deer in a tree stand where you can hang it on a hook until close to the time you need to make a shot, it but if you carry one all day long it eventually begins to feel quite burdensome. Longbows normally weigh even less than recurves, but I haven’t shot longbows since I was eleven years old.

I’m sure I’d look at posts in a dedicated archery board but I can’t exactly say I would have much to contribute since I’m not into compound bows.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Why the hell not? Not like we restrict ourselves on topic for long anyways!
    It'd be a fine addition to our topics, and damn hard to beat a bow for shtf meat acquisition. Quiet and non ammo consuming.

4. Rachgier

Well, I doubt we could talk archery without talking about the old school. We let Kirk talk about old school pugilism and hand to hand stuff. My grandfather started me out on recurves and I'm sure you have plenty of relevant information that can be used in modern times.

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Back in my younger days I was into Black Powder for awhile and Bow shooting for awhile. Had a Damon Howatt recurve with a 50lb draw. Excellent & beautiful bow. One of those things I wish I still had. Never did any hunting, just target shooting.

6. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Okay, I’ll be all for it if we can post what we had for dinner.

Attached Files:

7. Bull

^^^^ Nice!!!!

8. Rachgier

That's the sort of thing that board could be used for. Pics of the trophy and the weapon that took it.

Nice bird by the way.

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

i havent taken my bow out of its case, or the case out of the closet, in probably ten years or more. Ive got a real nice Bear compound bow, bought it when i was in my teens, and used it almost daily for a long time. then one day, stopped.

10. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I'm going on the second 3D comp shoot of the year tomorrow. I have no idea what I have, 10 year old compound fully tuned and set up. It's a hand me down. I've built the muscle tone and have it cranked to max, 70 pounds and I don't miss many anymore. But I cheat and use my angle range finder. I don't shoot for score. I shoot for practice hunting.

11. Rachgier

After checking out the prices at a couple of local archery shops and comparing them to Dick's and Gander, I ended up going with Dick's and picking up a Trophy Hunter whisker biscuit, Tru Glo 3-pin sight, a Tru Glo 4-arrow quiver, and a Trophy Hunter quick release. I also picked up a half dozen carbon arrows from Easton, and a dozen 100gr bullet point target tips. Hit up their pro shop and found out I have a 34" draw and had them max my bow at a 32" draw and max it to 70#. Apparently it shoots pretty damn quick for an old bow. I guess 320fps on a 30 year old bow is a good thing.

I still have to install the peep sight, draw loop, and find a cable guard rod and guide that will work with the bow because Darton doesn't have anywhere to get the parts anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bull

I liked the whisker biscuit rest I had a klot

13. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I decided to man up today and not use the range finder. And I lost an arrow damn it. The shot was st a sashquash down hill at maybe 35 degrees. I set the sight for 60 yards and missed high. The distance was 50 yards. Then there was a buffalo st 98 yards! What the neck my range marks max out at 60. I took a guess and missed low about 15 yards. I had one great shot. A tiny bear standing in profile at 60 yards. Nailed him in the 8 ring. Gun day and got home on time for the cup race.

14. menhir

menhir Member

I started shooting arrows when I was but a lad. I began again when my own children were young and really got back into it big time until I started my current business about 15 years ago.

The demands of the business were such that there was no time to pursue archery until recently, and pursue it again, I will. I renewed my long-lapsed membership at the local sportmans club, bought my Hi-point carbine, and I've just begun dusting off my archery equipment.

I've always been a traditional stick bow/wooden arrow type. I have a Fred Bear recurve that draws 45# and my favorite go-to bow, a Howard Hill "Big Five" longbow which draws 70#.

It's been a while, though...I'll probably start up again with the 45# bow until my shootin' muscles get back into shape. :rolleyes:

I've missed it.

15. Rachgier

That's where I am at basically. I shot a lot as a kid, my grandfather taught me how and had a target shed in his back yard. I stopped when I joined the Corps, and the kids getting in to Scouts has lit the fire again to start back up. I'm actually going to set up a target stand in my garage with a 5-high 2-deep stack of hay bails and some 1/2" sheets of osb with 6" of high density foam board set at angles on the perimeter to trap any really shi**y shots. I figure the kids can make the 20' shots from the door frame of the garage so none of them send any arrows off towards the neighbors. My BIL and I have marked out the rest the driveway so we can shoot at 10, 15, and 20 yards.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My church has a day camp for cub scouts the first weekend after school gets out every year, then they decided the girls needed one too. I was asked to help out with the archery station, our UHP boss runs the BB gun station, and there's a few other things a little more girly that they do as well.

We have a set of 8 of the Bear Goblin bows, 15 lbs is more than some of the 8 year olds can draw, but we make it work.

They really do seem to like getting to do the same stuff the boys always get to do.

17. Rachgier

Speaking of girls and archery, my woman played the "anything you can do I can do better" card so I handed her my bow and told her to show me how bad ass she was and draw it.

I think I'm sleeping on the couch tonight because my pillow is at the foot of the stairs.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Shoot, I don't think I could pull a. 70 lb bow, even if it was a compound. My dad was 5' 4", his bow is at 55, but the draw is a touch short for me, so I anchor at the base of my thumb, and with the release, it works.:rolleyes:

19. Rachgier

Oh, I doubt I get too many 70# pulls on the bow once I get target shooting on a regular basis. I know after shooting a dozen arrows at the shop range my arm felt like jello held together with overcooked spaghetti. I'll probably end up dropping it back down to the 60# range until I get the strength back.

20. Bull

What kind of release you guys using... I had a tru nock with the wrist strap... Made it pretty easy to hold at draw.