Any bullet casters advise accepted

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by Panda15, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Panda15

Panda15 Member

Got a Lee 124 grain 9mm bullet die. Round nose with the tumble lube grooves. Any one shoot these out of their c9 or 995?

2. histed

histed Supporting Member

Yes to the C9. Shoot as cast, tumbled with 45/45/10 or 50/50. Good idea to slug the bore - ours slugged at 3585, but I've heard of them being as much as 360. PM if you want suggestions for powders. No insult intended if you're already an experienced caster.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I shoot it's brother, the TL356-124-TC. They drop at .358 weighing 129 grains. I load them as cast with the Lee "mule snot" for lube.

4. F751

F751 Member

Iowa
    I have a 2 holer in that mold and have shot many 100's out of the 995. They shoot very well with the right recipe. I shoot them without sizing. I used the 45/45/10 lube and then started powder coating about a year ago. No more lubing for me. I got a 6 cavity Lee 9mm (non tumble lube) for Christmas along with a 6 cavity in .40. I'm hoping they'll drop from the mold a bit easier than the TL type. Production time should go way down too.

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I tried powder coating, thought it was too much trouble. Tumbled with plastic pellets to create static electricity so the powder would stick, sifted the excess powder, and baked them. All outside because of the smell. Verses shaking them in a cup and pouring them out on a sheet of waxed paper to dry. I liked the powder coat results, but did not think it was worth the hassle.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:Panda15!
    You are practically neighbors with my Buddy BULL! :D

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

9. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I have the same mold and have been happy with them. They shoot well in my 995ts. I have had problems getting them to chamber in guns with a short throat. The bullet ogive hits the rifling unless you seat them fairly deep. I always do a kerplunk test to make sure a gun will fully chamber rounds made with these bullets.

10. Hey, all,
    I use several of Lee's molds, including their 105 Gr. SWC, and have had good accuracy with one load, but it is inconsistent-- What I've been running into is some of the bullets are "Keyholing", even tho I run them at .357 sized. Haven't slugged the bores on my two H-P 9mms yet, (C-9 and Comp.), but hope to do that this week.
    I blend my own metal mixture using primarily wheel weights with 1/2 a one pound bar of 45/55 solder, and add some 95/5 solder to add some tin and antimony to the mixture. Haven't experienced any "Leading" in the barrels, but sometimes get bad bullets with the temp set at "7" on the Lee melter with pouring spout.
    I haven't come up with a good load for the Lee 124 Gr. Truncated cone "Tumble lube", or their 124 Gr. TLRN, but am going thru numerous test loads. When I come up with some good, safe combos, I'd be happy to share them, via regular E-mail-- [email protected] Also would be grateful for any good recipes you all have come up with, in .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. (I have a GREAT .45 ACP recipe using Bullseye, that ALL of my .45 ACP handguns LOVE! E-m me for the recipe.
    Cheers,
    Fred (Honcho)

11. jcwit

jcwit Member

I use the same mould, but I use no lube, I powder coat.

Clean handling bullets
    Clean barrel after shooting, one patch clean-up.

Win all the way around.

Very simple process.

12. histed

histed Supporting Member

Bad bullets as in??? Wrinkled bullets are nearly always the result of either a cold mold or "cold" lead. Unfortunately, those numbers on teh lee pots mean virtually nothing. Couple of ways to make sure your molds are hot - I usually dip mine in the lead for a minuet or three after the lead melts. I cast with the temp cranked wide open. Best way is to get a lead thermometer. See what I can dig up for 9 and 380 this week.