any cheap .22 bolt action rifle out there

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by oldnoob, Mar 3, 2008.

1. my girlfriend's dad is looking for one and that means i'm on the mission to make the man happy. anywhere around under $200 will be ok. i'm not familiar with any rifle/carbine so i turn to the forum that i trust.

with link will be great.

thanks.

2. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

I have a bolt action Savage Mark II that I love. It's both extremely reliable and accurate.

3. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    A .22 Bolt Action for under $200 should probably be pretty easy, aside from all the choices it gives you.
    Any specifications other than .22 and bolt action? New vs. used? Single shot vs. mag fed?
    I've seen used single shot BA .22s for as low as $30 at local shops around here, or you could go with something like a tube mag fed BA like the Marlin 981T for right around $200 new.
    http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MA981T&mfg=Marlin&family=981

4. i'm aiming a new .22 mag or toob fed. but if you guys come across a used one please post the link too, i might as well add a .22 to my inventory. ^__^

5. cd

cd Guest

go find a used marlin, hard gun to kill, but I love my henry lever, I think it was $240ish

6. Ari

Ari Guest

The Savage MKII this is a great gun for the money.. Also if you can the CZ made Charles Daley. This is a great gun! It is such a good gun Remington has started bringing in the gun into the USA under their own name.

7. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

Mark II FVXP here. That's a great little weapon. I've put ~2000 rounds through mine and it works great. The only problem I've had is that it doesn't like Winchester Super-X hollowpoints at all. They don't eject about 60% of the time. I don't think there is anything wrong with the ejector, I've replaced it once just to see if that might help, but it works fine with CCI, Remington, and well everything else I've tried. I gave $120 for mine new with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope.

EDIT: It takes those generic 10 round curved .22LR mags, can you get those in anything higher capacity than that? 20ish would be great.

[​IMG]

9. does any one know in California the max round per mag is 10 but does tube feed count as magazine?

10. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

More than likely. Though, it might only apply to detachable mags... Good question.

11. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    I'm thinking it might be different. The link I posted of the Marlin 981T says it's 17+1 capacity and it's CA approved.

12. cd

cd Guest

the only thing I don't like about the savage is it seems some are hard to feed, however I believe this is fixed now???

13. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. It was the last one they had so it was cheaper. I think I got mine right as they were starting to sell the .22s with the accutrigger system on it.

14. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    The Winchester Wildcat rifle is a decent buy. I have one.

15. just confirmed, the tube mag rifle in california is allow to carry more then 10 round.

16. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

OMHO, go with a clip fed rifle. I've always found them easier to clear jams, faster/easier to reload, and you never have to worry if you left it loaded. Just pop the clip and check the breach. I'm also not sure I've ever seen a bold action that is tube fed. Probably have... Anyway, I think what you will find for $200 (barring a super find from a friend, gun show, etc.) will probably be clip fed.

Also, what does he want this for? That bit of info may prove helpful as well.

17. when the man was young, he had one and loved it so very much. since i start learn and enjoying my c9, he start talking about the 22 bolt action he had when he was a young man. and now he want his son, who just turn 18 to enjoy it or at least try a 22 like he did. i, with very limit rifle knowledge turned to you guy to point me to the right direction.

18. Are you set on bolt action? I got my Ruger 10/22 for $189 new.