Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be applying for my FFL very soon and was just wondering if anyone had experience, suggestions or advice to help me through the process. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I've got my C&R, what state are you in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I applied for and received my Type 01 earlier this year. The ATF website has a fare amount of information. www.ATF.gov I requested the application and fingerprint cards from their website and took it from there. I didn't experience any problems. I hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I went down to the local ATF office and got all the forums, I was just wondering about the "inspection" stuff they do and things like that. I'm planning on running a small internet business out of my home...

·
Registered
14 Posts
After I sent in my application an ATF Investigator scheduled a visit to make sure I was applying for the correct license and go over the legal requirements of a licensee. He did not do a physical inspection of my place of business, but your ATF office and/or state may be different. As a licensee they can stop in anytime during business hours for an inspection.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm guessing you have a store front then?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm going to be applying for my FFL very soon and was just wondering if anyone had experience, suggestions or advice to help me through the process. Thanks!
Getting your ffl is a walk in the park. If you can get your hunting license you can get a ffl.
Call BATFE and they send you a package. Take your stuff to your CLEO ( In my case the County Sheriff)
Send the rest in to the BATFE. A agent will call you and come by and inspect where your going to store your guns. And that is pretty much it. No big deal at all.
But here is the deal. You do not want them in your house. They will just show up. They are absolute pricks. You think you can be nice offer coffee and what have you? Nope. YOU DO NOT WANT THEM IN YOUR HOUSE>>
I would not do it out of my house for that very reason. They are total asshats.
I surrendered mine and sell more guns in private sales now than I ever did when I had my ffl.
Now I am in Texas and with our Private Sales of Firearms laws here I do not have a clue why anybody here would have a ffl frankly.
Did I say you do not want the ATF in your house?

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
I surrendered mine and sell more guns in private sales now than I ever did when I had my ffl.
Now I am in Texas and with our Private Sales of Firearms laws here I do not have a clue why anybody here would have a ffl frankly.
Maybe because if you're in the business of buying and selling guns, it's illegal not to have an FFL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe because if you're in the business of buying and selling guns, it's illegal not to have an FFL.
You are dead wrong. I can buy and sell as many guns as I please in private sales. I dont know what your state laws are but here in Texas there are no "limits" on how many guns you can buy or sale privately.
There is no sales transaction required. No registration. No limits on how many bought nor sold. Your wrong to the 15 power.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=tx

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
it is the same here in Arizona...don't think Mike has read his laws very well. sell/buy as many as you want, no record of sales, even though i do keep a log just in case one is used in a crime. The ffl thing would allow discount pricing to buy from the major leagues, and would let you sell for a profit or order for people for a price. i thought long and hard about it, and i said no, due to the fact that the ATF can show up at anytime, i don't know if they are jerks or not, but i still don't want them in my house, they show up, walk in, see some shouldn't be illegal but is substance or parphanalia that didn't get put away and presto...don't collect $200. there are a myriad of things they could see in your crib that they don't like and then investigate further. no thanks, not in the house.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it is the same here in Arizona...don't think Mike has read his laws very well. sell/buy as many as you want, no record of sales, even though i do keep a log just in case one is used in a crime. The ffl thing would allow discount pricing to buy from the major leagues, and would let you sell for a profit or order for people for a price. i thought long and hard about it, and i said no, due to the fact that the ATF can show up at anytime, i don't know if they are jerks or not, but i still don't want them in my house, they show up, walk in, see some shouldn't be illegal but is substance or parphanalia that didn't get put away and presto...don't collect $200. there are a myriad of things they could see in your crib that they don't like and then investigate further. no thanks, not in the house.
Yeah...but he is not alone...many just "assume" you need a FFL to buy and sell guns in any volume at all and it is just not true at all.
There is not much (if any) discount at all) unless you are selling hundreds of the same item....I was selling 5-6 SAIGA rifles a week and could get no discount at all....I sell Hi Points for $200 all day long. I make them meet me at Bass Pro Shops or Home Depot parking lot and I do ask for a Texas Drivers License. I do not keep any logs as I am not required to by law. I do not sell to scumbags. Illegals or obvious people with "issues".
Other than that I am glad to be rid of the ATF. Don't need a FFL nor them (ATF) for sure. And you are absolutely correct....they have all the power in the world and you (by signing for the FFL) literally waived any and all constitutional rights you had. They can seize property, impound. search without a warrant....pretty much screw you over and all because you have a FFL and are selling guns out of your house.

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
Maybe I am wrong, but how doesn't Title 18 apply?

(a) It shall be unlawful-
(1) for any person-
(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or
(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

Yes we can sell guns privately, but I thought once you start doing it as a business, you need a license. I would also assume that it would be the BATFE who would decide if you were operating a business or not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think what that means is if you have a registered business (lets say its called "Smith Gun Sales) and a store front and all that, you need to have a FFL. Otherwise, if you are selling weapons as private sales, you should be all set.

And yeah I don't exactly want the ATF in my home, but I am a very "Legal" person, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Eventually I may transfer it to a retail shop anyway.

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
I think what that means is if you have a registered business (lets say its called "Smith Gun Sales) and a store front and all that, you need to have a FFL. Otherwise, if you are selling weapons as private sales, you should be all set.
I don't think that is correct. I believe the meaning is that if you are engaging in business-like conduct, i.e. regularly buying firearms for the purpose of selling for profit.... In other words, not just your average collector, selling a few guns in his collection to maybe buy another gun, or just because he has a bill to pay, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe I am wrong, but how doesn't Title 18 apply?

(a) It shall be unlawful-
(1) for any person-
(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or
(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

Yes we can sell guns privately, but I thought once you start doing it as a business, you need a license. I would also assume that it would be the BATFE who would decide if you were operating a business or not.
Across State Lines. That applies to interstate dealings. Not intrastate. 10th Amendment. Read it. My dealings are inside the State of Texas. Fed's have nothing to say about it. Somedays I sell 4 or 5 guns in a single day. Hardly a day goes by I don't sell at least one gun.

·
Registered
38 Posts

And yeah I don't exactly want the ATF in my home, but I am a very "Legal" person, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Eventually I may transfer it to a retail shop anyway.
I am as legal as they come. Highly decorated veteran. Successful business owner. Daughter is a FBI Agent.
I live very very well in a gated exclusive community with no crime at all. We have our own private Jack Nicklaus golf course. ATF shows up and they just go through everything. Guns or not. I am hiding nothing and they find nothing but be prepared.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts