Any Homebrewers in here?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MaryB, Mar 21, 2016.

1. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

After a 30 year break form it I have picked up homebrewing again. Just 1 gallon batches so far but I am collecting the equipment to do all grain brews again. Northern Brewer has a lot of different 1 gallon extract brews so I have been trying them out.

First one that is ready is called Caribou Slobber, dark brown ale with lots of chocolate and coffee notes. Sipping one now and not a bad beer at all! Have more of it bottled and carbonating. Have 5 other ales brewing right now, 2 will be ready to bottle end of this week, Chinook IPA and Barleywine. Barleywine will need a long age in the bottle, 3-6 months to make it best.

Missed puttering in the kitchen and having a homebrewed beer to drink!

2. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

I dont do it, but is it any less expensive than buying commercial brews that are available?

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Bud? Nope. $12 Micro-brew 4 packs? Yeppers.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Not done any beer or mead in a while. Probably 5 years now. Still make muscadine wine and had a good winter jacking apple's this past season.

5. papataylor

papataylor Member

I don't do a lot of home brewing, but I'm pretty good at home drinking

6. FirearmFanatic

Add me to that category! :rofl:

7. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Me too. And for $2/40oz you can thin your blood all you want.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've made my own Ginger Ale. Does that count? :rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. cicpup

Vermont
    That's harder. Ginger Ale actually has to taste good.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I did it because none of the commercial ginger ale's had enough "bite" for me. I figured that brewing my own would allow me to add as much ginger as I wanted. The first batch didn't come out with much bite at all. The second, I simmered the syrup much longer but it still didn't have as much bite as I wanted. The third I ruined by being impatient and opening it before the yeast had sufficiently carbonated it but, even flat, it still didn't have enough bite. The fourth batch I didn't bother straining out the ginger from the syrup; I just left it sit in the bottom of the fermenting bottle like ginger based trub. Still didn't have enough bite.

I think I'll have to try again now. Maybe I'll boil the ginger straight up and use a garlic press before straining into a syrup. Then mix in far less water. Maybe I just need to use a thin syrup and yeast that. hmmm...

I bet it'd be nice with Agave instead of sugar too...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1458664095.944513.jpg rhis stuff is really good

12. FirearmFanatic

Or maybe you should just quit trying to make it? :confused:
    :rofl:

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, that's where I've been for, I dunno, maybe 8-12 months? But I'm on a Ginger Ale bender again and buying different brands from lots of places so I'm beginning to get the bug again. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. HFAdmin

HFAdmin Staff Member

I used to. I have a friend that owns a homebrew supply shop. Sometimes we get together and brew.

15. greg_r

www.blenheimgingerale.com/
    Kirk, have you tried this?

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah. I got a few at a small store in Ohio on my way between Dayton and Mansfield. It was pretty good but I wanted more bite. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. cicpup

Vermont
    Oh just chew on ginger root already.

18. greg_r

They make a regular and a hot. I like the hot washed down with a regular to cool it off!

Just kidding, it is my favorite ginger ale though. The hot is just a bit to stout for me except for a once and a while treat.

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I like ales and with a 12 pack running $18 for anything halfway decent I will save money brewing once I go back to all grain. Extract brewing isn't cheap but a good way to try a lot of different ales.

20. cicpup

Vermont
    Speaking of "brewing", lookie what I just found at my local discount store. I'm in heaven.

Attached Files: