Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently do not own any HP firearms but have in the past. I am fixing to order a new pistol/carbine combo in 45acp to play with and just found out there is a local 3-gun club that shoots once a month. I just think it'd be great fun to show up with my inexpensive HP stuff plus an inexpensive shotty and see if I can be somewhat competitive against the folks with the high-dollar toys. So I ask, are there any members here that use their HP for any 3-Gun comp's or any other comp's out there?

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts
Get a set of 9's

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I currently do not own any HP firearms but have in the past. I am fixing to order a new pistol/carbine combo in 45acp to play with and just found out there is a local 3-gun club that shoots once a month. I just think it'd be great fun to show up with my inexpensive HP stuff plus an inexpensive shotty and see if I can be somewhat competitive against the folks with the high-dollar toys. So I ask, are there any members here that use their HP for any 3-Gun comp's or any other comp's out there?
From time to time, people compete with HP firearms. Usually it's just for fun and shiggles or "train with what you got, and I gots Hi Points" group. People who are serious about the game don't stick with HP. The capacity is too low, the cyclic speed too low, the ergos not customizable enough, etc.

I recall a few months ago, someone posting some vid of them running a PCC match with their 995TS.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts
From time to time, people compete with HP firearms. Usually it's just for fun and shiggles or "train with what you got, and I gots Hi Points" group. People who are serious about the game don't stick with HP. The capacity is too low, the cyclic speed too low, the ergos not customizable enough, etc.

I recall a few months ago, someone posting some vid of them running a PCC match with their 995TS.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
They were running a C9. Seriously I have seen revolver guys doing reloads as fast semi-autos.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Like taking a Kia Soul to the drag strip.

Reactions: 304tothecore

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Until the shooter can outshot the weapon he takes to the competition, the differences in performance will only amount to a single-digit number of seconds for a stage, so running Hi Points won't be a huge disadvantage for most shooters. It will be a disadvantage, but it won't be as big as some might make it out to be.

The people I've seen run open guns really have hit that point where they could outshoot a Hi Point if they ran one, so the time differences for their stages probably would be much greater with a Hi Point than what they'd get another weapon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To SWAGA:

Depends. In IDPA not really. The drawback to the Hi Point vs. say the Glocks I run is more design issue. My reloads with a Glock (17, 22 and 26) all hover around 1.8 to 2.3 seconds. The C9 is around 2.3 (if I get everything right) to 3 seconds. Why? The C9 is NOT a combat handgun is trying to consistently drive that skinny single stack magazine home is work. You have to get it just right every time. Under stress its not always easy and it doesn't always fall out of the gun as quickly as the Glock mags do. Also, most modern handguns are a bit more ergonomic than the C9 which can and does help a shooter. Otherwise its fine.

In USPSA the 995TS is at a disadvantage because I run against PCC's that have 30-40 round magazines. Max I have is 20. That's a speed game and those precious seconds count. But I shoot that more for fun and still do OK for the few times out.

BZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To SWAGA:
But I shoot that more for fun and still do OK for the few times out.

BZ
Yeah honestly I will be happy with "OK". If I can be competitive and/or beat just one person with their $750 Glock and $1000 AR and his $2000 Benelli then I will be happy LOL It's all going to be in fun, for fun ... so fun it shall be :) I don't mind nice/expensive guns, I own a few myself but I Just can't stand gun snobs :lol:

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
The 4595 with the Thingmeister mag catch will take 25 round drums.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah honestly I will be happy with "OK". If I can be competitive and/or beat just one person with their $750 Glock and $1000 AR and his $2000 Benelli then I will be happy LOL It's all going to be in fun, for fun ... so fun it shall be :) I don't mind nice/expensive guns, I own a few myself but I Just can't stand gun snobs :lol:
Chuck:

I've never shot 3 gun so I don't know what exactly that would be like, but since its part of USPSA its probably a 'speed game'. When speed is the first factor equipment does matter. Just understand that reality. Doesn't mean you can't do well or even beat people. Just its a different shooting sport.

As long as you have practiced some and are a decent shooter with your HP pistol, you'll beat people. I am the ONLY one who runs a Hi-Point pistol at the IDPA shoots in Bridgeville, Delaware and my fellow IDPA club members are supportive about it. Its a really good shooting club. They get its partially a joke and serious at the same time. Yes, there is some ribbing on my part but one of the main reasons IDPA became popular is its a real "run what ya brung" shooting sport. You DO NOT need the latest and greatest to be competitive. Stock M&P's, Glock's, Walthers all do very well if not come in the top ten. So if you beat anybody with a HP, you are beating a more expensive pistol LOL! As no one else shows up with them. I do think HP pistols are on a more level playing field in IDPA. Again, doesn't mean you can't run one in USPSA single stack division and do well, its just a different game.

I don't know if you can see my IDPA and USPSA scores, but here is my Practiscore dashboard (D. Nelson). SSP is when I run one of my Glock's (17, 22 or 26) CCP is when I run the C9. Now with the ten round magazines for the C9 I will only shoot SSP Division. Unless for some weird reason I change.

https://practiscore.com/dashboard/home

If you have any questions, let me know.

BZ

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 4595 with the Thingmeister mag catch will take 25 round drums.

Swaga:

If it was a 30 round drum it would be perfect. Even at 25 rounds I would still have to reload on most USPSA stages can be 28 round count courses.

I do like when a stage requires a PCC shooter to reload. It does even the playing field up, or if the round count is low. Had a fun scenario that was only 7 rounds with a mandatory reload for the 8th shot. Basically 3 paper targets with 2 rounds minimum each, reload after engaging all the papers and shoot a steel knockdown target all while sitting on children's bicycle! That was both funny and fun.

BZ

·
Registered
75 Posts
IDPA and USPSA are broken up into Divisions. What division you shoot in determines your magazine count.

Now IDPA is easy. Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol only allow 10 rounds max in your magazines. Depending upon the stage, SSP and ESP start with one in the chamber and 10 in the mag with all mags loaded to 10. If you have more than 10 you get penalties each extra round you fire. There are other divisions that have round counts lower than 10, like Compact Carry Pistol only allow 8 rounds per magazine (one in the pipe to start) unless the Stage or Course of Fire says otherwise.

USPSA is REALLY different. There is Production Division that limits to ten round magazines, Single Stack Division which I think may be 10 rounds too. Pistol Caliber Carbine is unlimited. 100 drum? Who cares! No rules on how much ammo you can have in PCC and I think a Division called Open?

I know IDPA better than USPSA and I only shoot PCC in USPSA.

As far as States that have mag restrictions. I don't love in one of those states, but listing to others it depends. If the mags are grandfathered, no big deal. If not? It sounds like those states don't have as many USPA matches.

BZ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts