Any iterest in a Belt fed AR?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by MachoMelvin, Nov 7, 2015.

1. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Slidefire marketed the Valkyrie modded Colt AR upper about two years ago. They were quite expensive! Maybe they will lower the price now?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LDM1u7v0"]youtube[/ame]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

IMO; More of a novelty than anything else. First on the confiscation list also when that comes around. Given time and people like "O" and Hitlery, I'm sure it will. Would be burdensome to carry and operate. Side feeders with belts have traditionally been a two man operation ever since WW I. I believe the "saw" was somewhat of an exception to that rule. Would you be able to only buy the belt ammo or have to piece it together. The vid says it uses the M37 belt. I have a few of those belt types for the M885 rnds (I believe, I'd have to check the cal. again) and their a pain the the a$$ to put together. I do like the option of using a standard mag as well though. Sounds extremely expensive to me. I'll pass. :foilhat:

I went back and made some corrections to this post based on some of the things said in the video that I missed. $5000. +. Geez

4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Yea, I think the selling price was lower, but they no longer show it on their site. You have to go to Valkyrie now at the $5K+ price. If someone had that extra $$ they probably would go with a .50bmg instead. I know I would! :D

The one mentioned in the American Rifleman has a suggested price lower than the Valkyrie, but I don't believe using mags with it are an option. Belt only.

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

The cost of that belt fed upper is close to what one would pay for a high end custom AR. Ammo for belt fed firearms can be purchased either pre-linked or loose. Linking ammo for an AR belt fed is not difficult at all, you use a linker same as any other belt fed. The biggest PITA with a belt fed is picking up all the links afterwards, unless you either have a catch can set up or you are using cloth belts as in a 1919.

6. Branth

Branth Member

I could dig it. It would be a fun range toy and little else though.

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'd prefer a couple of drums or a stack of 30 round mags personally. They're just more convenient, more mobile, and probably considerably cheaper overall.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Having had the pleasure of actually packing a belt fed gun around the woods a bit, I have absolutely no desire to hang a belt off a perfectly good 7 lb mag fed rifle.:rolleyes:

Now, if it were a 15-25 lb gun with a bipod or tripod, and I were setting up a hardened position for squad support in defense of a sector on a perimeter...then sure, a belt feed would be good, especially if my assistant gunner knows how to link the next belt in, so we don't have to open the lid and reload.:p

9. Branth

Branth Member

No doubt. For us civilians and our semi-automatic rifles, magazines make more sense.

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

as soon as I win the lottery, buy my nfa full auto lower, and pay someone to link my ammo then I'm in.

11. Kiln

Kiln Member

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be a fun gun to shoot. I just don't see it being practical unless you're entrenched like Ajole noted.

As far as general use I don't see it.

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Would be good for our defensive points around the edges of town... but we have people with belt fed 50's for that already!

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That's why they fielded the SAW.

14. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And it weighs about 20 lbs, too. No thanks. Let the FNG pack it.;)

Funny thing. The Marines are deploying the M27, a STANAG mag fed auto, based on the HK416, as a replacement for the SAW, wanting better maneuverability. They also found it more accurate, the enemy can't determine the gunner as easily, and it's only about 8 lbs loaded, instead of the 20+ of the SAW. It isn't as good at sustained suppressive fire, but it's good at accurate fire that hits the enemy, instead of just scaring them with near misses.;)

I think they were talking 20-25 mags per gunner to equal a SAW load out, so you'd still need assistant gunners, but all they do is stay close as they maneuver, and feed mags...any 5.56 mags, so every rifleman has more...to the gunner.

16. Branth

Branth Member

That's the IAR, right? It's basically a piston AR pattern rifle? I really don't understand what it offers that the standard M4 doesn't, except for maybe lower heat buildup due to a piston instead of a DI system.

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The M60 was better than the SAW. Carried both. Heavy yes but you get used to it.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly, and we are on the same wavelength regarding the questions, too.

19. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Is it still going to make that stupid 'boing' sound when you shoot it?

20. OK so this is me. .. piston vs DI they both use dirty gas to activate the bolt. One keeps the gas in a long small dia. tube that's not so easy to reach unless you use something like a long pipe cleaner. The other brings the gas back into the receiver to activate the bolt, but the way the bolt is removed, getting to the affected dirty area is possibly easier for the average person, do they really fire enough round to get to the point where fouling is an issue? IMO And this is me,if a person treats their weapon system as they should, I is changing over to a piston system worth the expense to change over. ..
    Just sayin. ..