Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently legally carry my hi-point everywhere after polishing the feed ramps and running over 100 rounds of wwb through it and having only one FTF (magazine problem only with loading 8 rounds instead of 7), and im wondering what kind of JHP will these things feed? I don't want to carry FMJ for a self defense round...

Looking for personal experience shooting JHP's rather than a generalization...

Local gun store has some hydrashocks and some gold dot's for $28 for 20 rounds (ouch).. but has anyone tried these?

thanks

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I've had very good luck with Win. Ranger 115gr +P+
I have also shot a few of the Win. Supreme Elite 124gr +P with no problems.

Before you start using JHP ammo for self defense, I suggest you shoot at least another 100 rnds for break-in.
Once you have done that, get some JHP's of your choice & run some through it to see how your C9 likes it. I would suggest shooting 1 box of "whatever" & if it works fine then get another box & load up.

One thing to remember though. Using JHP's for self defense is fine but if your shooting through hard cover a FMJ rnd will penetrate where a JHP will not.
When I carry a spare mag I have it loaded with FMJ, just in case I need it. Even my 4 995 mags are loaded with both JHP & FMJ's. You never know when you'll have to shoot through a car door or something.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've had good luck with the Fiocci JHP's . Then again I my c9 will eat up anything I feed it .. The only rounds I have not tried are the Wolf ...

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
The only hollowpoints I've had any success with out of my C9 are the Winchester White Box 147grn JHP. Of course the only ones I've tried are that and the +P+ Federal Hydrashock (haven't actually shot them, just racked the slide, but it was a bit too iffy on when it liked to feed them for me to use).

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I use the Federal Tactical HST +p 147 grain.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I Found some Remington 9mm 115 gr. +p JHP in a 50 round box at Wally World that works well. They also had some Rem 115 gr. jhp in 100 round boxes that wasn't +p and they worked as well. I think that the nose of the bullet needs top be as smooth as possible to load correctly in my C-9. Both of these had smoother noses that the Rem Golden Saber JHP that I purchased for a lot more $'s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 9C eats every ammo I have fed with the exeption of wolf brown bear because of the laquer cases the silver was ok because of the polymer cases 8) mine groups real good with the remington JHP 115 gr

·
Registered
132 Posts
i bought a box of speer gold dot 124gr jhp and i will receive them tomorrow as well as some extreme shock afr and will report on the performance saturday. i have fired a couple jhp but dont remember what brand and i had a problem with feeding but i lubed the feed ramp and the problem went away.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Anyone try Speer Gold Dot JHP's or Hydrashocks?
i have heard from SW on this forum that the hydrashok rounds don't feed well in lots of different guns. i bought some for my 995 and they jammed so badly, i almost needed a screwdriver to get them out. for what its worth, my opinion would be to avoid them. the dimple on the nose of the bullet is larger than most JHP's, which i think is what causes the problem. i don't know about the gold dot, but maybe you can pull it out of the box at the store and examine the dimple size. smaller is better, as far as i know.

also, i have never shot anyone, or at anyone, but it seems to me that you definately want a JHP. a FMJ will just continue traveling through multiple barriers (wood, plaster, metal, etc) and i'm sure you are aware that you are accountable for every bullet. Capt. Cook mentioned shooting through cover, but i think shooting through cover is a bad shot. you shouldn't be shooting if you can't be sure of your target, and you can't be sure of your target if it is behind cover.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Capt. Cook mentioned shooting through cover, but i think shooting through cover is a bad shot. you shouldn't be shooting if you can't be sure of your target, and you can't be sure of your target if it is behind cover.
You wouldn't say that if a guy was shooting at you from behind a car door or something similar.
Sometimes you do need to have some penetration.
You all remember the bank robbers wearing full Body Armor? Well the police had no luck at all penetrating it with JHP ammo but I'd bet they could have done a bit of damage with some FMJ rounds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i know i said i would post saturday but i got to fire a couple rounds today and the speer le gdhp ammo is amazing and feed flawlessly. i also shot some extreme shock 9mm afr and comparing the 2 the gdhp did more damage to a full water bottle then the afr but it is getting hard to find the gdhp 50rd boxes cheap.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
i know i said i would post saturday but i got to fire a couple rounds today and the speer le gdhp ammo is amazing and feed flawlessly. i also shot some extreme shock 9mm afr and comparing the 2 the gdhp did more damage to a full water bottle then the afr but it is getting hard to find the gdhp 50rd boxes cheap.
Did those milk jugs look something like this??

That was with the C9 at 25 yards using Winchester Ranger 115gr +P+
And here's a couple jugs at 100 yards with the 995.

The Win. Ranger had great expansion in the C9. Hard to tell with the 995 since the rnds were buried pretty deep in the dirt when I found them.

All in all they did the job & caused much more damage to the milk jugs than the 115gr FMJ did.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did those milk jugs look something like this??[/quote]

i shot those 1L water bottles and it hit low at 15yrds but it seemed like the bottle exploded. i an going to shot at some milk jugs tomorrow and take some pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.