Any MAS 49 owners here?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by desertrider, Mar 16, 2016.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

Any FN 49 owners here?

Stopped into a local pawn shop yesterday and found an Egyptian contract SAFN 49 hanging on the wall.

Wood looked pretty rough and finish was pretty worn on all the metal, but the price reflected its condition, which means I have room to haggle.

The main drawback to me is the 8x57 chambering. I don't reload yet, and I'm down to less than 2.5k rounds of 8mm ammo. That stuff ain't cheap like it was back in the day, and I've been babying my supply so as to make it last.

Debating if I really want this FN, or if I should hold out for one chambered in 7.62.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. I own one. I have never heard of one being chambered in 8x57. Most, as is mine, is chambered in 7.5x54 "7.5 French". The 7.62 are re-bores/re-chambers and I would stay away from them. Love to shoot mine which is rare since ammo is a little hard to find. PVI still produces the ammo.

Here's a pic of mine. Sorry no feet.

Attached Files:

• mas.jpg
      mas.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:

3. desertrider

desertrider Member

You are correct, my mistake when I made the title, I meant FN 49.

I didn't realize it until after I googled the difference between the French MAS 49 and the Belgian FN 49.

The MAS was chambered in 7.5 French, while the FN was chambered in several different calibers depending on which country used it.

The rifle I saw was an Egyptian contract SAFN 49 in 8mm. I'll change the title of the thread.

The rifles look almost identical, I'll have to research them further and see if there are any differences besides chamberings. Looks like yours has a grenade launcher front sight and grenade attachment.

*** Oh well, guess I can't change the title. ***

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Oh...you fixed it.:)

I have a 30-06 FN-49, made for Luxembourg. Sweet sweet rifle.;)

Any .308 FN isn't going to be cheap. There are converted Argentine's, and Brazilian's IIRC, and they aren't easy to find.

Anywhooo...if it's under $400 and functions, buy it in 8mm...IF you want a heavy old 8 mm semi gun, or collect stuff like that.

Mine has the ears ground off the front sight.:(

[​IMG]

5. desertrider

desertrider Member

Clean looking FN you've got there! The one I saw doesn't look even close to that nice. The wood is pretty distressed and looks like the cosmoline was never properly leeched out of it, the wood looks dark and greasy.

I'm leaning towards waiting for a cleaner looking example, or an SVT.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    SVT is NOT cheap, either. Very few were imported before they were declared illegal to import, and now, despite Canada having them on sale for $400 or less, we get to pay $1200 or more.:mad:

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

Plus, aside from being very nice looking and historically relevant, the SVT isn't that great. They've got reliability issues and a couple of uncommon but fragile parts. Basically even at $700 if what I've read is right, the SVT isn't an excellent buy.

Besides that, if you're paying $1000+ for a heavy semi automatic rifle, go with the PTR-91.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Or AR10, or M1A1, or BAR, or Dragunov, etc.

You are right. The SVT is a collectors gun, there are far better options.:)

9. Kiln

Kiln Member

I like the PTar-91 the best. The Springfield M1a1 is a close second though.

10. desertrider

desertrider Member

Actually, I just liked the idea of having a semi auto 7.62x54 rifle to go with my Mosin's. Same reason I want an FN 49 to go with my Mauser. I guess mostly as a novelty.

I already have other semi auto 7.62x51 rifles.

The $1200 price of admission for a novelty gun is a little rich for my blood though.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I had to go Hakim for my 8 mm Mauser needs, my 49 keeps my Garand company in the 30-06 world. But I got into them back when $500 or less would buy any of them.;)