Any recommendations in .40 S&W pistols?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Hey all,
    Thinking about .40 cals now - anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to keep cost below $400, but am looking for a reliable pistol.
    Anyone have any experience with the Ruger P944?
    How about the Sigma SW40VE?

2. I consider Ruger one of the best. You would not be making a mistake by buying one. I have the Rugerp89 9mm and it's the most reliable gun I own or have ever fired.

3. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I do like Ruger, have a P345 & though it isn't their most popular gun, it is my favorite pistol that I have ever shot.

4. I have the SW9VE and its a great pistol.

Check out the Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro line, they are awesome sub-compact's and I never had a single problem with the PT-111 M-Pro 9mm I had.

5. neothespian

neothespian Member

**Cough**Hi-Point**Cough**

BUT...

If you're looking elsewhere, my little sis LOVES her Taurus Millennium .40. Compact and far more accurate than one would think for a compact. It also has a very low kick for a .40. And, with a market price of about $299 depending on where you buy, you can't go wrong.

6. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I had been previously thinking about a taurus, but am currently having some difficulty with my 24/7 9mm. Until I resolve that/figure out what's wrong I am hesitant.
    Since both of you are recommending Taurus - do either of you have trouble ejecting unfired rounds by racking the slide? Other than hollowpoint ammo I mean..

Did I just hijack my own thread? :)

7. Milehile

Milehile Guest

I just bought my CZ 75B about 2 days ago and I love it. Haven't shot it yet, but it's really comfortable and it seems to be built really solid. I got mine Pre-Owned for $399 at Cabela's here in Michigan.

8. neothespian

neothespian Member

She never had an issue with a FTF or ejection problems in the year she's owned her pistol, and her slide is a bit chewed up since it was used (probably from some gang banger wannabe shooting "Gansta" style. It's only chewed on the right rail... :roll: ). It's performed like clockwork for her the entire year she carried it for her security job.

9. FLA2760

FLA2760 Guest

I like my Sigma 40VE and my Glock27. Both have been 100% reliable.

10. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Glocks are a little above his $400 price range...

My XDs were slightly above that too, but I got 'em off Gunbroker.com for $415 each.

11. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I think I'm going to head out and check out a new shop this weekend.
    That is if I don't go to the swap meet at my range on Sunday.
    I'd really like to get a feel for the MillPro, XD & SW40VE.

Anyone know when the next cabela's sale flyer is supposed to come out?
    I was thinking that I did see the SW40VE & XD on sale in one of the last few.