Any S&W SD9VE owners out there ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Celtica, May 13, 2015.

1. Celtica

Celtica Member

Hi all, I'm curious to see who has one of these and what are your thoughts on it, especially in comparison with your Hi-point pistol. Thanks !:D

2. Kiln

Kiln Member

My dad has one. They're excellent guns overall but you'll probably hear bad things about the trigger.

In my experience the SD9VE is an excellent quality firearm with good ergonomics, a good capacity, and decent sights. The trigger isn't amazing but it's acceptable. To be honest it'll probably take some getting used to if you're used to triggers on higher priced striker fired guns.

There aren't many good alternatives in the $300 range with lifetime warranties and two mags.

3. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

They are very good pistols, especially considering the price. I have an SW40VE, the SD is basically an upgraded version of the older SIGMA, and I have well over 1,500 rounds through my gun, without any malfunctions.

I honestly believe it would outlast any of my Hi Points...at least as far as not having to go back to the factory to be repaired. I don't feel this way because of quality, but design.

4. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I feel the same way about my JA9.

5. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

My son bought an SD40VE, same gun. I hate the trigger, otherwise I'd say it was a great deal. The trigger thing might not be that bad. I'm a revolver guy, and I hate the double action trigger on a revolver. For double action the SD is doable. I shoot it pretty good. Hell of a gun for the money.

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My brother has a SD40VE. No issues whatever. I find nothing remarkable about the trigger either way. A decent DAO trigger. You can lighten it if you wish with an Apex trigger for a few dollars.

7. Celtica

Celtica Member

Thanks guys, I bought one in March and I seem to be having a bit of a time getting used to it from the C9. the trigger feels somewhat mushy which I don't particularly care for, but I also wouldn't feel comfortable trying to make it lighter since it has no safety other than the trigger itself. Also, it sometimes spits the casings straight back at me instead of out the side and I'm also having a bit of a time trying to get accurate with it. It does have more muzzle flip to it, but it' also a lighter gun than the C9. It seems that I'm more accurate with the C9 I hate to say. And you're right, this is probably the best gun out there for the $300 price tag which is what I paid for mine ($299) and I feel lucky to have found it where I did because alot of places are selling them from $360 to $499, depending on the dealer. They really have them marked up. I do like it though, I had been wanting one of these since last year, but now I guess I'm feeling a little odd that I can't seem to shoot very well with it. I'm thinking of getting one of the Galloway stainless steel guide rods and springs to replace the stock plastic one. I read where that will also help reduce the recoil even if I get one in the oem 17#. The 20# spring will reduce it even more. I appreciate your input, keep it coming if you have anymore.. :D

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Welcome to HPFF!
    The lower priced S&W poly gun sells rather cheaply here.
    I just have never bought one, something else has always
    caught my my eye when I had the $$$ in hand... I have
    an M&P9 full size, great gun! Similar deal, no safety. :eek:

9. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I'll add this, I wanted a hi cap 9mm. Bought a Taurus PT809. I am happy with it and would recommend it, but wish I would of moneyed up the extra $50 and bought the S&W SD9VE.

10. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

I've got a SD9VE and really like it , only mod I've done is replace the flimsy guide rod/spring with a Galloway steel rod/spring

11. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I had one. I added the Apex trigger spring kit. That helped the trigger. It was actually a great, reliable pistol. I sometimes am sad that I traded it. Now my edc is a Bersa BP9CC. Compact, low recoil and a great shooter.
    I still miss the SD though.
    Guns are like friends. they come in and out of your life. Some you miss, some you don't and some you keep forever.

12. Celtica

Celtica Member

That's what I'm planning to do too. Did you get the 17# or the 20# guide rod/spring ?

13. histed

histed Supporting Member

I have one. Made a trip back to S&W after less than 50 rounds. Seems to be ok now, with about 300 more through it. No gripe about the trigger, but it does shoot low. When the $$$ is right, I'll put an adjustable on it. Actually suprised at how easily it conceals and how comfortable it carries

14. histed

histed Supporting Member

On mine, HPA? Yup - why? Noted for a problem I missed?

15. Kiln

Kiln Member

No. Also, if I'm not mistaken, matte stainless is the only finish on the SD9VE at this time.

16. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

20lbs spring set up

17. Celtica

Celtica Member

With the 20# spring, have you had any issues with 115 gr or do you use something heavier ? I'm thinking of switching to 124gr or heavier for my Sd9ve and my C9..

18. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I own a 9 and 40 Sigma. I was hoping for "better" from S&W. Theyre basically high cap revolvers. The DOA trigger pull I equate with a BAD revolver trigger pull. I carry one because when/if I blast a BG AND it gets taken and may or MAY NOT (more likely) be returned to me, I'm only out 270.00. The days of me carrying my HPs or 1911s is D.U.N.. I'm not providing some jack ball, UC Copper, a UC Piece, for him/her to sign out from Central Evidence.

19. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member