Any safety lever mods?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Morpheus, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

Forgive me if this has been done here before, but my only complaint about my new 995 is the safety sucks, and I can't seem to think of a way to make it more ergonomic, aside from growing a longer thumb. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I did this a long time ago, works great, much easier to actuate, not the prettiest but very functional. Just some shaped bent metal (I think it I used a hinge from some blinds) and JB welded to the safety.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

This is an electrical insulator that I got at Home Depot for about 40 cents for 3. Dabbed a little contact cement on the lever and in the insulator and walla. It doesn't help with thumb length, but it's easier on the thumb once you reach the lever.

[​IMG]

4. AS6

AS6 Legible in My Own Mind Member

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

Thanks guys

6. Etechonline2002

Etechonline2002 Member

Take the saftey off and get a custom made one local shops charge next to nothing to weld a piece of metal on there to make it longer

7. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Really, what does your local welder charge?

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

how often do people flip thier safety on and off that this is really an issue? ON when its in storage, or transportation, or not being fired. OFF when you are ready to fire it.

sure, its small, but, its not like you need to access it a million times. once to use it, once when you are done using the rifle.

9. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

i've got no issues working the safety lever on my 995TS but i do also have long thumbs / fingers

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

Well my concern is on how fast I can disengage it...something goes bump in the night, I'm awoken from a deep sleep, how easily can I disengage it from the ready position? I like the slide through safety on my shotgun, even like the style on my hp handguns, but the carbine safety seems a little awkward to me.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I don't use the safety.
    It's well proven that under severe stress your fine motor skills deteriorate rapidly.
    Your large motor function stays intact eg racking a slide vs fumbling with a safety.
    Especially in the dark.

The only times I use the safety is either at the range or in holding the slide back.

12. You should never rely on a mechanical safety anyway, keep your booger hook off the bang switch and you'll be alright.