Any Taurus TCP 738 owners out there???

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Asher1, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Asher1

Asher1 Member

If anyone owns and knows of the problem with short stroking the trigger on a Taurus 738, there is a easy solution. I just did it this evening on one and it eliminated the problem.

The fix is to replace the sear with one from the Kel-Tec P3AT. The only modification you have to do is open the pivot hole in new KT Sear up about .003" so it will fit over the Taurus pin. Now you are not able to get a false reset on the trigger like you could before...

KT part number is P3AT-272 and the part cost $5.50 from Kel-Tec...

2. Kiln

Kiln Member

Does it ruin the TCP's beautiful trigger pull?

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I agree, I have a Kahr, but usually carry the TCP because it's easier to rack and has a better trigger!

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  5. Asher1

Asher1 Member

It changes nothing other then not allowing you to short stroke the trigger and wind up with a dead gun... The trigger feel is exactly the same, in fact I had 2 TCP's sitting side by side (one modded the other stock)... I closed my eyes and had the wife hand me each one and I couldn't tell the difference on a dry fire. Of course don't try this practice unless you have and very trustful wife or no ammo anywhere around... :D

Also keep in mind, there is no mod to the gun (just the KT sear install/swap) so if you don't like something all you have to do is swap the sear back to the Taurus piece (as long as you don't loose it)...

I liked it enough that this morning I did it on the other gun as soon as I got up..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  6. \

The TCP is easier to rack??? WOW Mine is a bear. Shoots and no FTF or FTE, but hand racking is a nightmare. :mumy:

7. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I just wanted to be a little more clear... If you fire the TCP and hold the trigger back and let it cycle. You can still slowly release the trigger and get it to click at 1/2 stroke. The difference is with the KT sear, when you allow the trigger to go forward to the first click then try to pull it back it again, it will not allow you to like the Taurus sear would. So then you just have to let the trigger go fully forward to the second click (actual reset)...

8. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I have never had any problems with my TCP's, but I never liked the possibility of short stroking the trigger and having to rack a live 380 round out of that small gun to get the trigger to work again...

If you don't know what I am talking about, remove all ammo. dry fire your TCP, keep holding the trigger back and rack the slide. Now slowly release the trigger until you feel the first click (false trigger reset). After the first click pull the trigger back again. It will allow the hammer to cock about 1/2 way and "mock" fire, but it doesn't force the hammer back all the way and the hammer doesn't have enough spring tension to fire the round. The only way to make the gun functional again is to manually rack the slide and eject the live round to feed the next one.

This mod fixes the problem, when you release the trigger to the first click it will not let you pull the trigger back again until you get to the second click. So you eliminate the chance of short stroking and having to rack out the live round.

I didn't come up with this idea, I stumbled across it on the Taurus site and a couple guys have done it, but it works, it's cheap, it's easy, and it's reversible...

9. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I've had my TCP about a year and maybe 600 rounds and I have never experienced the problem. I don't see a need to make any changes.

10. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I have probably put double that through mine and never short stroked the trigger either, unless I tried to make it happen and it did... The thing is, that it CAN happen. If my gun was a target shooting gun I wouldn't worry about it. but it's not, it's a gun that rides in my pocket more then 40 hours a week. I want to minimize any chance that it "could" malfunction if I needed it in a SHTF situation.. Because if it does, you will need both hands, and a little luck that the live .380 round won't jam up when ejecting..

I have shot in a couple IDPA matches, and taken a lvl 2 defensive shooting classes (not bragging, I'm not good)... One thing I have realize is that under stress nothing works as planned (including your motor skills), and your gun better be as flawless as possible because you might no get a chance to fix it...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  11. histed

histed Supporting Member

Asher - got a link to the direction for the mod? Sounds cheap enough and, like you, my tcp goes anywhere its legal to carry. That it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't - and at the worst possible time. For $6.00, why take chances?

12. Asher1

Asher1 Member

Here is the best link I could find... it's really easy, just find a you tube video of a detail strip that removes that part of the gun..

Field strip, remove front frame pin, and hammer spring from bottom of the grip, pull out frame assembly, finally look into gun and verify how the spring and sear sits. Drive out pin and spring and sear will pop right out.. The hardest part is getting the spring back into the sear and pushed into position. I recommend a couple small screw drivers, and small pair of needle nose pliers, even tweezers would work...

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700-s/142236-tcp-hammer-block-replacement.html

13. Either you posted to the wrong person or you misunderstood me. I am talking about " manually racking the slide back, releasing it and repeating to eject cartridges from the mag" not anything about the trigger action.

14. Asher1

Asher1 Member

Alittle misunderstanding, but I wasn't trying to be defensive/offensive (or what ever you would want to call it)... Sorry if it came across that way.. I thought you where confusing this mod with something to do with cycling...

These little TCP's are great guns, I think one of the best of the pocket .380's it competes with... If there was anything I would change on it, it would be to make the trigger a true double action (or double strike) like a lot of the Taurus line offers..

Great to meet other TCP owners on other sites... we should start a secret club...