Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a guy locally that has a lil 18" barrel marlin 1894 chambered in .38/.357 I am not a huge fan of Lever guns but I love the idea of a carbine in that caliber. He is selling it for $375 is that a pretty decent deal? any input would be great
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
it's on my list of "next to have"....brand new they were running around $500.00 on the last gunshow, if you could find them....you usually see one or two per gun show and they are gone in the first 15-20 minutes.....

It it is in good shape, grab it!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Those are a great little carbines. I have one in 41mag and have shot 1 deer and 2 pigs with it. Hand load a stout 357 with a 110Gr JHP for a super varmit load.

Ron M.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Big 5 Sports used to sell that bottom of the line 357/38spcl Marlin (holds 9 rounds, right?) for around 379 or 389 on sale for new.

Is it a round barrel?

The round barreled models are the basic models. If its the octagon barrel, its worth more.

If it is the same as the Big 5 model, I would offer 300 and see what happens. Maybe he will come down to 340 or so. Can't hurt to bargain.

Roberto, the 500 dollar 357/38spcl Marlins are usually the longer octagon barreled models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it's in good shape that sounds like a good deal to me. Last year I looked locally (Upstate NY) for a Marlin but ended up with a glad just to find it Puma 92. I got it for $450 on special order @ Dick's, soon after that I saw a new Marlin for $600 @ a local gun show. A nice feature of the Marlin is that it has a side discharge that allows for a better mounting area for a scope than the top eject cowboy style, Winchester clone Puma. It's my second ever lever action rifle, after a Henry H001 which sold me on levers. So far I kind of like shooting the 38's more than the 357's...not what I expected.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
SKAGDOG,

Unlike you I love lever guns. I'd get it in a heartbeat especially since I don't have that caliber. All I've got is the Marlin 444 and a Henry Golden Boy 22. I'm always looking to add to the lever gun collection and having a carbine in pistol caliber would be good. By it! If you don't like it you can always donate it to the 2 TN Mules Lever Gun Museum. :D

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the great input I think im going to take it. I dont think that its the hex barreled one but its hard to tell I do know that it is in great shape. I sometimes run across deals that just "sound good" and even though lever guns arent really my thing... I think they could easily be real fast! I will have to post a few pics once I pick er up which should be thursday or friday night

If I dont like it the 2tn museum will be a great place for it to live out its days

Skagdog out..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice, sounds like it's a go... As a heads up if your not aware of it, when you go to get some ammo as it's a lever with a "nose to primer" tube mag it is recommend to use only flat points. Personally I think the lawyers make the manufactures say so, but it does seem safer to me. Also, that should have a Micro Grove barrel that supposedly better likes jacketed bullets (an argumentative subject). The Winchester / Puma (1 : 30 twist) can handle soft lead and the heavy / hard, hand cast Cowboy bullets but apparently these rounds (especially towards the heavier loads) aren't as accurate with a Micro Grove (1 :38 twist). I'd ask the seller what he found that worked for him with that particular rifle. I'm still trying to work out a grain / weight and manufacturer balance between the 38 and 357 rounds, as far as a reasonable compromise on dialing in the sights on a single setting for range use with both calibers. I did find that on my Puma if I sight in for a heavy weight 38 SP that when I go to cycle lighter weight 357 Mag's that they're pretty much "off paper," and it requires a sight reset.

Don't forget to post those photos, like to see it when you get a chance...

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went and picked it up yesterday. Havent shot er yet but the action cycles nice and smooth and everything looks to be in Good condition a few nicks in the wood but the metal is all in great shape.

Makes a great companion to my Tracker .357 Gotta love lever guns.

Wife's cat likes em too!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Sakdog,

I see you went and did it. Great looking gun. I've got a place already cleaned out in the TN Levergun museum. Sadly guess you'll want to hang on to it till it is a museum piece?

Seriously, nice gun! Happy shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.