Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone was out Goose or Dove hunting recently? I was out yesterday and today and managed to get 3 geese and 8 Doves.

I'm interested to hear other people's stories.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I AM OFF FOR THE NEXT 6 DAYS DOVE HUNTING!!! In AZ you can only hunt from sun up until 1200. i will ge my limit of 10 in about 20-30 minutes!!! They are really a nuisence around here, eat your grass seed, nest in the roof, poop all over the place. kinda like an edible pidgeon! although banded pidgeons taste pretty good! My 2 favorite recipes:

Roadkills Jalepeno bacon dove breasts:
1. Soak dove breasts overnite in Italian salad dressing
2. drain, reserver liquid for basting, take breast and a sharp knife and make a 1" slit in the top of each side of the breast
3. 1 jar of pickled jalepeno slices, cut slice (the vertical ones,like a ring) in half and insert 1 half of the pepper into each slit you made in the breast
4. wrap that puppy in a piece of hicory smoked bacon (don't scrimp, buy the expensive stuff!) secure with toothpicks
5. grill for about 15-20 minutes turning frequently, baste with the marinade to keep from getting dry.
6. Open a Mexican beer and ENJOY!!!

Roadkill's Dove Pate:
10 breasts
1. place in a smoker or your grill with one side lit and a pan of water with apple wood chips in it
2. cook for about 2 hours
3. microwave until totally done
4. let cool, pick off the bone
5. combine the meat with:
1/4 cup onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cap of worcestershire sauce
1 tsp basil
1 tsp allspice
pepper of your choice, white or black
cream cheese
sour cream or mayo

blend all in a food processor until consistency is smooth and add cream cheese and mayo a little at a time for a binding agent. refridgerate

eat on a GOOD cracker (don't waste money on these also) and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here in Wisco, it's sun up to sun down for doves and geese. The daily limit for doves is 15 and 5 for geese. It was a beautiful night out and I just sat in my blind waiting for the birds.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I AM OFF FOR THE NEXT 6 DAYS DOVE HUNTING!!! In AZ you can only hunt from sun up until 1200. i will ge my limit of 10 in about 20-30 minutes!!! They are really a nuisence around here, eat your grass seed, nest in the roof, poop all over the place. kinda like an edible pidgeon! although banded pidgeons taste pretty good! My 2 favorite recipes:

Roadkills Jalepeno bacon dove breasts:
1. Soak dove breasts overnite in Italian salad dressing
2. drain, reserver liquid for basting, take breast and a sharp knife and make a 1" slit in the top of each side of the breast
3. 1 jar of pickled jalepeno slices, cut slice (the vertical ones,like a ring) in half and insert 1 half of the pepper into each slit you made in the breast
4. wrap that puppy in a piece of hicory smoked bacon (don't scrimp, buy the expensive stuff!) secure with toothpicks
5. grill for about 15-20 minutes turning frequently, baste with the marinade to keep from getting dry.
6. Open a Mexican beer and ENJOY!!!

Roadkill's Dove Pate:
10 breasts
1. place in a smoker or your grill with one side lit and a pan of water with apple wood chips in it
2. cook for about 2 hours
3. microwave until totally done
4. let cool, pick off the bone
5. combine the meat with:
1/4 cup onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cap of worcestershire sauce
1 tsp basil
1 tsp allspice
pepper of your choice, white or black
cream cheese
sour cream or mayo

blend all in a food processor until consistency is smooth and add cream cheese and mayo a little at a time for a binding agent. refridgerate

eat on a GOOD cracker (don't waste money on these also) and enjoy!!!
Those seem like some good recipes. Last time I had dove, I just breaded them in some Hooter's Wing breading (they sell it at my local grocery stores) and fried them. I tossed them in wing sauce then. Pretty delicious!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Here in Wisco, it's sun up to sun down for doves and geese. The daily limit for doves is 15 and 5 for geese. It was a beautiful night out and I just sat in my blind waiting for the birds.
early season is just until noon, late season in November is sun up/sunset, +quail and just about anything else you can shoot and eat.

ya gotta remember, this is the REAL desert! rattlers try to take your bird right when it falls! seriously!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
got my limit this morning but it took forever! the hot spot i always go to aint hot no more, they did not plant anything so the birds are not there. also we are getting some of that hurricane rain from down in Baja so the low pressure keeps them in. then all of a sudden around 0900 they started flying, got 10 and i'm outta there. back out tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Unfortunately I live in the South Texas Dove zone, the season opens 18 September. Most of Texas opened 1 September. I'm planing a White Wing hunt and fishing trip around Port Mansfield on the 18th and 19th.

Ron M.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
This was last year dove season opener.... I was only out there for about an hour or so, and I got my limit in about 30 minutes. This place is a real hot spot that I'll be going back to once I get home. The next day, me and my buddy Travis went out there, got set up at 0830 and were done by 10:00 and we both had our limit.

The sunset over the mountains on the way home...

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
How is it that you hunt goose with low brass 2 3/4 lead bird shot? You hunt them in a field or what? If anywhere near water it's gotta be steel shot.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
It's alot of fun for sure. Those jokers are so fast too, it helps you get better for skeet/trap shooting when the season comes in for competitions.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Take pics and post 'em up dude. Good luck, shoot straight and don't miss.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How is it that you hunt goose with low brass 2 3/4 lead bird shot? You hunt them in a field or what? If anywhere near water it's gotta be steel shot.
Oh, I thought those were the cheap steel Winchesters - that box and the shells look exactly the same.

I load up my gun with the steel #7 shot for doves then when the geese come in I load up the #2 or BB. Here, if you're hunting waterfowl anywhere it's gotta be non-lead shot. That's why I use steel since being in possession of lead shells at the same time is illegal.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally remembered I have a camera on my cellphone - albeit a bad one but, a camera none-the-less.

Here's a pic of a lone goose I shot. It came in totally alone. Not huge but, should make for some delicious spicy goose jerky. Circled 4 times before my buddy and I got a shot at it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
going out "dog" hunting tomorrow morning..coyotes. my new AR upper should be in this week plus the new leupold scope, but tomorrow i'll be using the .17. really just going out to scout areas. made a set of shooting sticks that turned out better than the ones at the LGS for $60! love DIY. made a DIY decoy with an old racoon tail i had and some quail feathers, took a piece of fiberglass rod, made a "T" with a piece of pine at the top, hot glued the tail and made the feathers streamers that will catch the wind. i'm hand calling now until next payday when i can order the new Foxpro Spitfire $199 with 24 custom calls and a 100' wireless remote...so in the next 2 weeks it should be like Christmas...new DPMS flattop upper, new scope, burris one piece scope base, and the E-caller....frigging fantastic.

great job on the goose by the way! i just never got into big bird hunting. love upland birds and i love to eat them gooses and ducks!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.