Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some carbine +p 124 gr. JHP loads. Been looking for some Blue Dot but, everybody within 50 miles or more of me is out. It would probably be the best for what I want. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
Check your reloading manuals. Should be plenty of info there. Also, Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester has an online loading manual that is excellent, as does Accurate/Ramshot. Pick one you have components for and see how it works. Not trying to be a jerk, but just because it's great in my gun doesn't mean it's good - or even safe - in yours. Especially the hotter +P stuff.

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
I’ve got enough odd lots of powder that I can find all sorts of loads for all sorts of cartridges. I quit looking for specific powder two years ago, and now I just take whatever powder they have off the shelf, and put it in my cart while I look up recipes to see if I can even use it. If not, it goes back on the shelf. So I have over 20 lbs of pistol powder, but no more than 4 lbs of one type.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
I have had some luck experimenting with slower burning pistol powders such as Longshot for my 9mm carbine loads. The thought being that the longer 16" barrels will make better use of the slower powders.

Longshot is #51 on the burn rate chart. Unique is #32 and 231 is #29. I do see some minor gains in the Longshot in the carbine. Trade off is more muzzle flash in the 3 and 4 inch pistols. I want to stress I strictly stay with published book loads.

Honestly, I really call it what it is, a pistol round, and just leave it there. Be careful looking for the ultimate though, the 995 is a blowback after all. Too much pressure and the bolt will open prematurely with potential disastrous results.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not gonna shoot a lot of these hotter loads. Mostly will shoot standard pistol loads but, wanted a little oomph for hunting occasionally.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
+1 what histed said. I don't shoot +p but I have the data in my manuals.

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Just stumbled upon this video today. I had recently heard 10.5 was the optimal length for 9mm. Looks like when you go +P you might be wasting powder. Penetration may actually drop. Pushing bullets beyond their designed velocity may lessen their effectiveness.

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
Just stumbled upon this video today. I had recently heard 10.5 was the optimal length for 9mm. Looks like when you go +P you might be wasting powder. Penetration may actually drop. Pushing bullets beyond their designed velocity may lessen their effectiveness.

Or it may not waste powder, penetration may increase, and pushing them up to their designed velocity may increase effectiveness.
It all depends on the powder load, the gun, the projectile, the range, and the target...which means there are too many variables to say much about anything as a blanket statement.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,608 Posts
Or it may not waste powder, penetration may increase, and pushing them up to their designed velocity may increase effectiveness.
It all depends on the powder load, the gun, the projectile, the range, and the target...which means there are too many variables to say much about anything as a blanket statement.
As in,
"More is better, until it's not"

Test test test!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about loading some 124 gr. jhp or 147 jhp with a slower powder like AA#7 . It might do slightly better out of a longer barrel, and still be ok in a pistol.

·
Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
I was thinking about loading some 124 gr. jhp or 147 jhp with a slower powder like AA#7 . It might do slightly better out of a longer barrel, and still be ok in a pistol.
Leme know how that works out fer ya. I never had luck with that powder in 9mm, but #5 worked decent

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you shoot it out of a pistol length barrel or carbine?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I chronographed some Sierra 115 gr. JHP handloads with 6.5 gr. Herco today that clocked 1330 fps average. I don't know what they do out of a handgun yet.

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Several years ago I saw the elcheapo 115gr Remington 100rd value pack JHP's bumping to 1410-ish out of a 995TS. However they totally ripped apart. I looked for that video and can't find it anywhere.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,608 Posts
Love to see a maxed out 9mm carbine running like a hot 357mag in a pistol...
I'm pretty sure it's doable, with the right powder. Or some people are full of it

·
Administrator
28,716 Posts
Love to see a maxed out 9mm carbine running like a hot 357mag in a pistol...
I'm pretty sure it's doable, with the right powder. Or some people are full of it
It's doable with off the shelf ammo. BBTI showed results of 124gr 9mm ammo ranging all the way up to around 1450 FPS from an 16" bbl. Factory 125gr .357 Mag out of a 4" bbl frequently falls in that range. So while it is fair to say that you can often get more energy from a .357 Mag in a pistol length barrel there are definitely ammo choices out of a 995TS which can match the energy level of some .357 mag in pistol.

Here are the links to BBTI test results:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: OldOutlaw
1 - 17 of 17 Posts