Anybody into air rifles???

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by bombadillo, Nov 6, 2007.

1. bombadillo

bombadillo Member

I am looking for an air rifle that has to meet a few requirements. It has to look like something a little more wild. I usually don't pick my guns in this way, but its an airgun and I want it to have the wow factor. It has to shoot relatively well as far as accuracy is concerned. I'm going for either .177 or .22 air rifle, no bb's. I need it to be sub $300. Those are my only real requirements. Color, and all the other stuff are just side issues that I don't care all that much about. What are you guys shooting. I've found anything from crossman, to crazy 3k air rifles for pure competition.

2. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Ive got an old crossman in my garage that used to play w/ as a kid, now its just for unfortunate roaches scampering about the garage. theres no sights on it anymore but if i can see it i can hit it :wink:

sorry no help

3. neothespian

neothespian Member

$300 for an air-rifle??

You can buy a nice REAL gun for that cost. Perhaps it's just me...just not my thing

4. Look into Benjerman-Sheridan. My grand father bought me one almost 20 years ago it is a 22cal and a very nice weapon the volocity ranges from 100fps to 1500fps increasing about 100fps per pump they are a little pricey but you will never have a problem. I also have a pump pistol by the same company in .177 it is truely remarkable.
    :D

Here is the web address
    http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/benjamin-sheridan-airguns-airrifles-pelletguns.html

5. bombadillo

bombadillo Member

Yeah, but you can't afford to shoot it anymore. With something like this, http://www.compasseco.com/index.php?action=item&id=827

you can shoot all day at targets or anything that moves for a few dollars. Try blasting through 400 rounds of .45acp and see how much of a difference it makes in the pocket book.

Also, I'm just trying to expand my arsenal to add a few more. The list is as goes:
    RRA saiga .223
    airforce talon ss (check these out except $$$$)
    mega ar-15 lower so I can build it later
    mossberg 500
    mini 14/30
    multiple sks configurations. At least 2-3

and handguns go into a different category

6. OK that thing is wicked i may have to get one!!!!!!!! :D however i would like to know the fps of it

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

.22 cal pellet guns w/1200fps????!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, that is..well...lethal if you hit them enough. I had no idea that there were air guns that were as powerful as a standard .22

8. bombadillo

bombadillo Member

That particular gun is in the 850 fps with .22 cal pellets range. The .177 is in the thousand fps range, depending on lead, steel, or what weight pellet. And there are as high as 1600 fps .22 airguns. If you want to see really nice air guns, check out airforce guns.

9. Ridge

Ridge Member

I have an old Daisy lever action bb rifle :)

10. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

OK I just gotta ask Why do you want to shoot air? Did it do something to offend you? is it evil?
    Hmmm Guess I gotta keep my eyes peeled for the bad air :wink:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

{Sorry couldn't help being a smart butt]

11. apachepaul

apachepaul Guest

SERIOUSLY ...I USE A "GAMO" .177 CAL. FOR CRITTERS AROUND THE HOUSE. (I LIVE IN THE CITY LIMITS) IT IS NOT PARTICULARLY COOL LOOKING BUT IT PUSHES A PELLET @1000 FPS AND HAS VERY NICE FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS (DAISY'S FIBER OPTICS ARE TOO THICK) HOPE THIS HELPS :?

12. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

Some of these new air rifles are sweet. I've been looking at a Talon SS, the one with the integral suppressor, but $500 is a lot to drop on an airgun. I still have and shoot my trusty Crosman 766 American Classic, though. 30 years old and still hits what I aim at (the 4x15 Tasco scope helps).

13. bombadillo

bombadillo Member

nicadflyer,
    the only reason that I don't go with either of those, is that they aren't quite up to match quality, and the new pre charged pneumatic guns (pcp's) are much better at maintaining pressure than a little tiny CO2 container is. The lever guns are a really good option as mentioned above too. You can get a really nice gun for under 300 for hunting options. 1000+ fps from a break barrel or lever gun. I'd preferably not go with a break barrel because over time, things will eventually wear out and lose its accuracy

14. icono

icono Member

if i am able to rent a house thats on 1 acre i was looking in to getting some
    air rifles and pistols some of thoes seem very high powered not sure if i
    would need the extra power of a "break barrel" or the ease of shooting a
    CO2 powered one

15. bombadillo

bombadillo Member

^^^
    Don't get either, get a lever pull like an rws model 48. Either get a precharged pneumatic, or a lever pull because the break barrel eventually wind up losing accuracy. If you think about it, if you fold the barrel (the thing you're shooting through duh) 90* down every time, eventually the bushings and pins will wear out. The accuracy has got to go down sometime. All the manufacturers say its nothing but I just can't believe that. The pcp guns are running 800+ fps which isn't bad. The side lever guns can shoot upwards of 1200+ fps which is astounding.

16. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

I am partial to Gamo, I love my Gamo Shadowmatic, it's a break barrel with a semi-auto loading system, sorta like a magazine.

It shoots hard, I didn't chrono it but it's suposedly up to 1000fps.

Their latest rifles include 1500fps beast (with their little gold pellets) and a shotgun! (I want one of those!)

17. biganimal

biganimal Guest

I dunno about that..............I have a Gamo 26 breaker that shoots as well as it did when new in 96. I put 50 to 75 pellets thru it every month. if you dont bend the barrel it will not lose accuracy as the sights are on the barrel.

18. reaHP

reaHP Guest

I had to weigh in on this one. My 12 year old son did his research and asked for a "high powered airgun" for christmas a couple of years ago. He selected the Gamo Hunter 1250. His gun is rated at 1250 fps with lead ammo, and 1600 fps with their special PBA, gold plated ammo. They no longer sell this model, not sure why, it is a great gun. We have gotten rid of several nuisance "varmints" with it. There is a video that shows his very gun being used to shoot a 180 pound hog and dropping it in one shot. It is located here.

http://www.gamousa.com//Catalog.aspx?Action=Videos

It is the video labeled Hunting Experience. Check it out.

As far as the break barrel cocking goes, the sights and barrel are all mounted on the part of the gun that has the movement when cocking the gun so that all stays aligned. My son does complain that the PBA ammo does not seem to be as accurate, but he doesn't have any problem dropping varmints at 50 yards.