Anybody own a Cobra Denial?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SPCsierra, Jan 27, 2016.

1. I'm thinking about getting one and wanted to see what people think of them. I had a FS380 for awhile and that wasn't bad but ended up selling it.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I wouldn't admit it if I had one... (denial, spell check jokes ;))

Seriously, I've never seen one but they looked decent online.
    Rather check one out i person. Adam01234 is a
    "Cheaper than HP-ophile" who will be up in here soon, I'd say :D
    Cobra Denali?
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYds3wO7gI&index=126&list=UUKE8Rw4xv1zLF5LRH0SRs-g[/ame]

Looks like a bit of work on that slide it would do OK, and maybe
    a stiffer recoil spring...

3. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

They're the same as all of the other Cobra/Raven/Davis/Lorcin/Jennings...JUNK
    Don't waste the $$$

4. missiledefender

The guy said it all at the end of the video: POS

5. Because of it's weight, I can not really endorse a CF380 ( which I own, like a lot, and have carried a few times) for a carry gun, but for a budget 380acp home defense ( IE night stand gun), I can not see a much better choice than the Hi Point. All in all, I think the C9 is the better choice if you are going to shoot it often because of the price difference of 380 and 9mm ammo. I agree with missledefender....don't waste the $$$

6. The same thing crossed my mind, Mr. Mole

The Cobra Denali is a polymer version of the Cobra CA380, with a few mods that prevent totally swapping out the slides; other than that, the Cobra Denali (which is also been marketed as the "Kodiak" Denali) share most of the internal parts with the CA380 (trigger, safety, firing pin, etc.) Even the grips are from the same mold, but machined afterwards to allow for the mag release. I've been trying to get my hands on a Denali but it's difficult to do that because they are not on the mAssacho$hits kommie kompliance list. But I have managed to acquire three Denali receivers, so I'll be building some in the near future (which is why I know about the shared parts) IF Cobra ever gets around to selling me three slides :(

They sure LOOK nice, and they're lighter than their CA380 cousins. Those who own these say that they need to be massaged a bit to make them reliable - the same complaint you hear about the other Cobra automatics. POS? Perhaps. But you can find them NIB for under $100 and if someone wanted/needed a gun and was short on cash, it may be what they'd end up with.

Sorry I'm not able to provide a lot of help here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Useful info. Thanks. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    Thanks for Chiming In, ADAM-0!

So it's like a "kit gun" even though most that buy it
    will not be able to tweak on it properly to get it running...

"ohio wolverine"
    having to bump the slide at the end?
    I'm sure he went ahead and worked that one over just
    a bit more, he was SO CLOSE! I saw more problems in
    that video that he failed to address, did not extract once.

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Extractor Spring Fix is about as simple as it gets, too...
    Shim that bad-boy! Or stretch it a bit.

10. Bought my wife a Cobra aaaand it truly is a POS.
    At the time, I was extremely strapped for cash; my gift budget for her birthday was around $200, and she had been talking about pink guns. She knows how to shoot and thinks they're adorable, so I didn't argue. Called up a gun shop in Minnesota (Liberty Gun Shop) I'd seen on Armslist and ordered an FS380 in pink.
    Well, when I first got it, it seems pretty decent. Yeah, it was ugly, but like Hi-Point, we don't base our judgement on looks, plus she still thought it was cute.
    Then we took it to the range. Now, my wife does great with rifles (she's a natural marksman with my AR), but not so well with pistols (she has almost no muscle tone in her arms, and most pistols/revolvers are too heavy for her to keep level, and the recoil usually too powerful for her to quickly line back up). But I noticed that when she fired, they were going WAY off target. I don't mean like she failed to hit the target by that much or she went high or low, I mean it was smacking into the target two stalls away. Yes, at first, I thought it was her. Then she put me in my place by telling me to try, and I proceeded to miss every single shot. I put it on the paper, but nowhere near anything of value. I'm not a competition shooter by any means, but I can usually hold my own. We were out with friends, and they had the same issue.
    When I got home, I took it apart and examined all the parts. Every part was good...and then I got my boresight.
    The thing wasn't rifled except for the last quarter/half inch or so of the barrel nearest the muzzle. It was basically a hand musket, putting maybe a tiny bit of rotation on the bullet before it left, but otherwise doing no favors.
    Like any product, I don't doubt there are a few bad eggs in the bunch, and I just happened to get one, but I am hesitant to buy another Cobra in the future.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Did you contact Cobra about the problem?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. missiledefender

These things are dangerous as heck too. The slide retention button in the back is made of aluminum, and is under pressure during the recoil stroke. I've had one sheer during firing and launch what was left of the button and firing spring into my eye.
    Horribly inaccurate too.
    Pass on these guns or any like them. Buy a HP

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I have to say these are crap guns. I know i've kept to quite abotu these things in the past. I had to reattach Adams whole right arm and left leg after he shoot his first one. took alot of tape and glue but he's ok now. :zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie:

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...and he still likes cheap gunZ??? :eek:

:rofl:

16. I delegated that to my Dad as we handed off all my weapons and ammo almost immediately after that...who promptly forgot about it.
    Actually didn't even think about it until my recent trip back to the States for Christmas. Brought it back up, but at this point, I'm thinking it'll probably just end up destroyed.

17. Yup, what can I say?

Here are a couple of pics of some Davis P-series parts (same as Cobra CA-series) onto one of the Kodiak Denali frames. The match up is pretty close, but not good enough. As you can see, the Denali frame is slightly longer than its CA-380 cousin / P-380 uncle; the Denali frame protrudes beyond the Davis slide forward and aft. The only parts I need to get that are the mag release & spring and the slide. Everything else came straight out of my Davis parts bin and/or can be altered to fit. Note my frame is marked Kodiak - not Cobra. :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I live in Utah, yet I can only think of two stores that carry any of their models.

They make an HP feel like a well crafted lightweight of a gun.:rolleyes:

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Kodak calls themselves a distributor...but their address is the next door down from Cobra.

Don't know if it's a tax dodge, or an attempt to put a fresh name on the product to avoid the bad associations everyone has with the Cobra name?