Anyone choose a caliber because of cost alone?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Back2School, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Back2School

Back2School Member

Went to Academy to pick up some ammo the other day and after looking at the cost, I really thought about stepping down to 9mm and .22

Now don't get me wrong, I like my .40 and my .45s, but my C9 is one of my favorites. Add in the fact I can get 50 for $10.99 vs $15.99 and I keep thinking I may want to trade my 4595ts for a 995ts.

Am I the only one?

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Where do you live, I could help you out with that?

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I sold my Savage 110 chambered in 7mm rem mag due to ammo cost. I felt $1.50 pr/round was a bit excessive.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

How was the recoil on yours? I had one in a rem 700, and she was pretty stout. Manageable but stout.

5. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Yes, It is the main reason why every pistol I have owned has been 9mm or 22lr. It would require me to shoot less to have different calibers and it would mean shooting less to go with .40 or .45.

6. harcdaddy

harcdaddy Member

Yep 9 mm is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

7. aeroe

aeroe Member

I opted for two calibers, 9mm and 22LR for cost primarily. My next purchase will also be a 9mm firearm (Shield or BP9CC, dunno yet). My small collection of six firearms use two calibers.

40SW was very tempting, especially since I had no trouble spotting it on the shelf. Fortunately 9mm is easy to get now, and the 995TS eats anything I find for it.

Cost is also the driving force behind the purchase after that. I'm leaning towards an AK over an AR. The gap has closed, maybe due to that Ukraine mess.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You aren't the only one, but you ARE looking at this the wrong way.:p

You don't trade it for the other, you just save up and get the other, in addition to the one you have.;)

And, the other solution...start reloading. Most of my pistol ammo is about the same cost now.

Of course, since I haven't seen a brick of .22 in 18 months now, limiting myself to a .22 would be a terrible idea. My .22 Mag or .17 HMR ammo is no cheaper than 9mm, but at least I can find it to buy.:(

9. MachoMelvin

I used to think like this OP. But then I started thinking that what if "IT" hits the fan, and I stumble across a cache of ammo, not 22 or 9mm? I felt I would be safer if I had at least one of each of the basic calibers. So I started changing my thought pattern. Now I have 9 different calibers? I may pick up a few more calibers, but I have all the basics covered.

10. mawguy

mawguy Sheep Dog Member

I went with multiple calibers just for flexibility. I have weapons in .22 .38/.357 9mm and 40S&W.

11. MachoMelvin

I have 22LR, 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 223/5.56, 7.62x39. 7.62x54, 308/7.62,
    12 ga. I try to get at least 2 guns of each caliber, pistol & rifle if possible. I would really like a Rossi 357 snub nose & a Rossi Lever Action 357?
    It's ON the list!

12. Back2School

Back2School Member

That was my initial thought when I bought as well.

And one of the reasons I went with .45 was because I was given everything I need to reload - probably at least 1000 shells. I have heard .45 i the easiest to reload since its so low power - but I still get nervous as I caught myself with at least 1 double load so far - just kinda worried what would have happened if I missed it.

For the price 9mm is cheap enough to buy, and well if I am worried about the .45, I am worse with the higher powered 9 and 40 bullets. Besides, the only way I have seen to really reduce costs is to go lead "boolits" but I hear a lot of complaints tht that can hurt your pistols.

Maybe I just need to spend more time shooting my reloads to feel better about using them.

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Same. You knew you had been shooting the next day though. Bought it for long range shooting but after getting a couple Mosins the Savage pretty much became a dust collector. So as soon as I found myself in a financial bind I stole the scope off it and sold it for what I paid for it. Can honestly say I don't miss it.

14. Branth

Branth Member

If "it" hits the fan, I'd hope you're not lugging your entire gun collection on your back hoping to stumble across a cache of ammo.

You might have a point if you were planning on bugging in, but the odds of you stumbling across a cache are much less, and you'd probably be better served to have fewer guns and put that money into more ammo of your own for your own chosen caliber.

15. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

I figure if I come across an ammo cache, chance are I will be able to find a gun to shoot it in with it, or nearby...

16. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I have pistols in 9mm .380 and 45 cal. The 9mm is the cheapest. I have the 995ts and the 4595ts. 45 is going for 17.50 per box of 50 for the tula. Luckily both th hp and my XdM love the tula. My AR only likes brass cased. The cheapest around here is independence 5.56 for 7.99 for 20. Thats expensive, but it sure is fun... I guess I need to invest in reloading equipment

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

A 12 gauge pistol, now that would interesting. Recoil might be a little on the heavy side.:eek:

18. aeroe

aeroe Member

I was strangely highly considering a Serbu Super Shorty, until the price was factored in. If I had that sort of change laying around, I'd get a high end AK instead.
    I've heard conflicting info on whether Indiana permits SBS or not, but the Serbu line is considered "any other weapon".

Those Serbu shotguns are the closest to a shotgun handgun I can think of, excluding the Judge revolver.

19. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

stayed with the same ammo between the 995TS and my new S&W SD9VE just for convenience plus the ammo is much cheaper than 40sw and 45acp

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

If the it hits the fan.... My guns are on me or my family...