Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out to do some shooting today and got a chance to fire off some .357mag. These were loaded using starting load data and boy oh boy were they hit and miss. When fired from my Marlin 1894 they shot decently of course being cast bullets and the micro groove barrel they did tend to leave a bit of lead behind. Now when I fired these buggers out of my Tracker .357 at 21 ft they were all over the place and about 40% of the holes in paper were unmistakably made by a sideways bullet. I wonder if perhaps the gun being ported has anything to do with this?

At any rate does anyone have the same problem with the Lee 2 ogive radius 158 grain tumble lube bullet?

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Sakdog,

I use that exact design in my 9mm and 45acp without any problems. Cant speak to 357.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
if i shoot them out of my glock and let the barrel get leaded up bad ill get some that keyhole. if you have large percentages of your shooting keyholing, your bullets are most likely undersize or you have a cylinder, forcing cone alignment problem.

SW

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Ive got the same design in 9mm, Love it Shoots great. My Lee 9mm 124gn Truncated cone mold almost never gets used anymore as a result. I just wonder if since the 158 grain is a bit longer that it gets unstable or what? but boy oh boy them chunks of lead were just all over the place there were a couple rounds that completely missed the 8.5x11 paper at 21 feet!

Some of them seemed to stabilize I was shooting at a dirt berm that was about 160yds from where I was and I could lob some of em in to hit a 2ft by 2ft metal gong.

Also FWIW it is a 4inch barrel and the load data shows 1211fps to be the velocity for the starting load.

Ill check diameter I know when I sized these most were barely touched by the sizer but I don't see any big deal in that. but a timing issue maybe. if thats the case ill pack er up and get a hold of Taurus.

Ill have to try straight linotype when I cast these maybe its the hardness of the metal being an issue as well.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I was having issues with my set up for 38spl kinda like yours. I have no idea how or why but adding a factory crimp to my rounds eliminated the problem. Maybe it was just my molds were off or something but when i started over with new rounds i added a crimp to em and havent had a issue for the last 300rnds or so....midwayusa.com has em for like 14.00 or something might wanna give it a thought.......

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
adding a crimp0 held the bullet in the case for a fraction of a second longer and allowed more pressure to build up behind it from the burning powder. this only usually happens with slower powders but it can happen with any given load combination. what happens is when the crimp is too little, the bullet "pops" out of the case when the primer fires and because there is more space in teh case it takes a littel time for the powder to burn enough to fill the space. the bullet moves forward until the nose contacts the forcing cone and stops. then the powder burns, builds up enough pressure and forces the bullet down the barrel. slight imperfections in the chamber/forcing cone aliognment cause the bullet swage out of shape and you get keyholing and other problems. this is a lead cast bullet problem as jacketed bullets are hard enough not to swage out of shape in most cases. the only time ive ever had a jacketed bullet keyhole was with my old 7mm-08 that had an odd rifling twist and couldnt shoot light bullets at all.

SW

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I loaded these rounds I use a moderate roll type crimp as well as running them through the lee factory crimp die. I dont suppose the FCD does a whole lot of work at all maybe just irons out a bit of bulge in the brass where the bullet is seated. Im going to try and see if using a harder alloy helps to alleviate this problem. Ill do some more trial and error to see what might help... any other thoughts are well received great advice and food for thought so far!

Maybe a little more crimp to overcome the situation silicon wolverine described. It seems that bit of a stutter where the primer allows the bullet to travel out of the case and stop at the forcing cone for a millisecond while the ignition commences just about sounds like it might be a culprit. It would seem a firm crimp holds things closer together to allow the primer pop and powder ignition to be one smooth action rather than that jarring stutter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts