Anyone ever got a feed ramp pre-prolished?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Rjak, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rjak

Rjak Member

I just bought my first Hi-point, a JHP, and I discovered that the feed ramp had already been polished even thought the gun was new (bought it at Academy). Has anyone ever seen that before? I called Hi-point and the guy said sometimes they do that if they think it needs it during testing (which doesn't inspire confidence in the gun) but I've never heard of it when I was doing my research before buying it.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Why wouldn't it inspire confidence? They tested the guns and tweaked it so it would work. You should be glad they tested it and fixed it instead of putting it together and tossing it in a box. For you to fix.

yworrydog and 2012gt like this.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Should do the exact opposite. They took the time to make sure it works perfectly before letting it out the door. The feed ramps start out with a sort of powder coating that is sometimes less than wonderful and always wears off with use. They did you a damn favor.

yworrydog, moona11 and 2012gt like this.
  4. Rjak

Rjak Member

That's definitely one way to look at it. It would be better though to have one that didn't have problems in the first place. It's also possible they took one someone else returned and tried to sell it as new. Sorry, I'm just a pessimist.

Anyway, ignoring whether it's a good thing or not - has anyone seen a pre-polished feed ramp before?

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That's illegal.

It's not rare.

moona11 likes this.
  6. moona11

Anyway ignoring that has anyone seen my cat? She is black and fat goes by the name meow or fat ass. Normally at this time she comes and tells me it time for bed

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Have you shoot it yet?

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

8. Rjak

Rjak Member

Not yet. Unfortunately, it'll probably be a little while before I can get time to go to the range.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Shoot it with several different brands of ammo before you worry about if it is a stinker or a keeper. 'Till then it's just speculation and what-iffing.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

She's on my back porch asking for supper.You want me to feed her before I sen her home?

11. moona11

No she is fat enough. Just kick her and tell her to go home

histed likes this.
  12. 2012gt

2012gt Member

You should probably just sale it
    It didn't have a problem... It just had a lil too much coating on it and they went ahead and polished it for you. Do you know how many guys end up polishing their feed ramp because the manufacturer didn't? A lot. And not just hi-point owners.

13. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I recently bought a Taurus PT111 G2 and I don't know about pre-polished but it was very slick and polished.

14. 2012gt

2012gt Member

Sounds like it had a problem and they fixed it before sending it out. You should send it back.

15. bobbo jama

bobbo jama Member

I had my 995TS come home from mom for repairs with a polishd ramp and chamber. That was a thousand rounds or so ago. Sounds like you may be over thinking things. Take it out and shoot the hell out of it, see if you can break it. Enjoy!!!

16. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

Still perfect after 600+ rounds.

17. 2012gt

2012gt Member

600 rounds!? What are you doing? Planning on a war? Buying a box of 20 and shooting 5 for practice is plenty. Actually you don't even need bullets. Blanks are plenty to scare off a bad guy. If that doesn't work just throw a stapler at him.

18. harleyboy65

harleyboy65 Supporting Member

Shoot the blanks and throw the Hi-point at them.

2012gt likes this.
  19. moona11

Are you trying to kill someone

2012gt likes this.
  20. Rjak, You say haven't shot the gun yet. You've called Hi-Point, and the tech said sometimes they polish the ramp if they think it needs it during test firing. You did your research before buying, therefore you know full well that Hi-Point backs their firearms 110%.
    You just need to go shoot the gun, and then report back.

moona11 and lklawson like this.