Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have enough dough for one tax stamp and its down to a SBS remington 870, SBR 995 or SBR glock 17.

what im wondering is if a 995 will still properly operate with a 8-10" bbl vs the standard 16"? this would be a one-off project that would get shot but not alot so warranty issues would be moot. i have access to the proper tools for a re-crown job and would have to redo the stock entirely but thats down the road.

SW

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
You got short barrel on the brain, don'tcha? I wish you would stop making me think about it. It's obviously contagious.
I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, but I can see the virtue of a short 870 over a carbine or pistol.
There could be some issues with the carbine cycling well, but a heavy bullet or hot load would probly fix IF there was an issue. I don't know enough about the pressures created, or needed, for that matter, with the 995 to answer 100% accurately.
Sounds pretty cool though. I daydream about a short, suppressed 4095 all the time. My resources for DIY are limited though.
I'm hoping if you follow through you will let us know.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not sure where to look it up, but doesn't the 995 have a 1:16 rotation ofr it's rifling?

Shortening the barrel too much in any case could severely impact the stability and tragectory of the bullet regardless of attempting to compensate with a hotter load.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ever consider a pistol? Besides I'm not sure how ATF would look on a rifle with a 8" barrel. Check with Randy Weaver in from Ruby Ridge, Idaho he may know!
But his was illegal. This guy wants to legally make his shorter.

But the problem is, at that point, the stock would stick out farther than the barrel...

G

·
Besides I'm not sure how ATF would look on a rifle with a 8" barrel.
If you send them $200, they won't bat an eyelash. . .

Money talks.

$200 for a NFA tax stamp that allows you a short barreled rifle is all it takes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ever consider a pistol? Besides I'm not sure how ATF would look on a rifle with a 8" barrel. Check with Randy Weaver in from Ruby Ridge, Idaho he may know!

But his was illegal. This guy wants to legally make his shorter.
Technically it wasn't his. I believe the ATF guy hounded (entrapped) him into shortening a shotgun barrel for him.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Honestly, I think about it every time I look at my ATI'd 995. I'd like to take off about 5" so the muzzle would be flush with the front of the stock, or maybe leave an extra 1/2" to attach a short brake. I'm having a tough time convincing myself that it would be worth the $200 for 5" because I haven't come up with enough changes yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I contemplated it on on mine. Just cutting the barrel infront of my forward top rail support (old orgininal front sight post. I think it would really make for a good looking rifle and excellent in close quarters.

I don't know if it is really necessary though, the 995 is a relatively short action as it stands and I would hate to lose any of the longer range performance that it is capable of.

On the other hand i've already spent about 4 tims what the gun is worth in it's conversion and accessories and optics so what's another $200.00. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
whatever came of this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.