Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am money tight, but want to get into the AR fold-- While I was looking at doing a total build, the DPMS Sportical caught my eye--

It doesn't have all the features I want. but all I need-- and they are running mid $600s-about $700 here in the Dallas area. I figured thta I could get one and at least have a good shooter-- and later get another upper-- and in time if I get enough for a COlt or something, I can convert the DPMS into .22 or something else "fun"...

I am not that against the lack of a FA, dust cover, or a shell deflector-- I am a righty, carried an A2 for 4+ years in the grunts (USMC 91-97) and never used an FA, and my dust cover usually had a broken springand would just flop around-- thus it usually got a piece of duct tape to hold it down.

I am sort of sold on it as an affordable and reliable shooter-- and it looks that they have a 5.56 chamber (which is ok if it did or didn't-- I probably wil lonly be putting .223 through it anyway)..

Just want an opinion of anyone who may have one or have shot one here---

Thanks! 8)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I have the heavy barrel version of the DPMS Sportical upper on a Rock River lower. With the right ammo I get sub 1 inch 100 yard groups and using Milsurp 55gr ammo 1 1/2 inch groups. The best factory ammo for mine has turned out to be Golden Bear 62gr HP. I paid $410 for the upper from Midway and $210 for the Lower on Gunbroker. Add a set of tall rings and a Bushnell Banner 4-14 scope, and a few 20 and 30 round mags total cost $750. I got my lower with an A-2 stock, I'm not comfortable with most sliding type stocks. I had a complete DPMS A-2 style rifle and after the break in never had a problem.

Ron M.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I haven't shot one...but I'be played with more than a few when I went through my "I need an AR phase" a few months back.

My initial impression based on the price, they were cheap. They were light and the metal on the reciever felt thin. It just didn't have that solid feel to it. Plus there was a lot of play between the upper and lower. To me, they seem like something that they put together from the spare parts bin and marketed the creation. And no sights...I like a gun I can shoot out of the box, here you have to add optics or some irons.

The trigger heavy too, were talking 6~7 lbs.

But man, it was balanced well. All of the weight was in the reciever over/just after the grip. I bet with some trigger work, and one of those "Wedge" things to tighten the upper and lower together. It would be a fun little plinker.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My first AR is the Sportical. I too have no need for a FA, although a dust cover can come in handy out where I live. I like it's lightweight feel, ease of carry, and the lack of fixed sights is actually a blessing - I just bought a few detachable front and rear sights from UTG, a detachable UTG carry handle sight, a Trijicon dot scope, and a few lasers for hip shots. Basically I put on whatever I'm in the mood for, and fixed sights would sometimes just get in the way.

I have the CMMG 22 conversion kit for it as well, works great.

The only complaint I have about it is that it doesn't seem to like the heavier grain bullets. It'll shoot 55 grain and below all day, but if I try 62 grains or heavier it starts to FTE, or in some cases refuses to cycle. I may just have a clogged gas tube from the 22 conversion kit, or it may be the recoil spring is too light. At least the spring seems weaker compared to the recoil spring in my Stag Model 1.

FYI - if you want a good deal on uppers, JSEsurplus had some nice uppers (BCG included) for $375 - the gas tube had been cut 1/4" too long or something like that so that's why the price was so low. Anyway, if you pick up one of those uppers and then get yourself a lower for under $300 you'll have a nice low cost AR that's a bit beefier than the Sportical.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
FYI - if you want a good deal on uppers, JSEsurplus had some nice uppers (BCG included) for $375 - the gas tube had been cut 1/4" too long or something like that so that's why the price was so low. Anyway, if you pick up one of those uppers and then get yourself a lower for under $300 you'll have a nice low cost AR that's a bit beefier than the Sportical.
Sorry, forgot the link....

http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom223.aspx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.