Anyone have a S&W 15-22 ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by gasman42, Oct 31, 2015.

1. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    I've been thinking of picking one up to cross train with.. 22s are a little cheaper to shoot than .556 or 223 the Smith seems to be identical to the AR platform
    As far as the controls go.. Any info would be much appreciated.. Thanks..

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The M&P 15 is the high dollar "15/22" so to speak... one can get as
    much in a 22lr/AR as a real 556 version. The M&P is a poly receiver.
    It is perfectly fine for that, but there are some metal receiver models
    out there, and some are less money! :D Chiappa, and Colt is on sale
    @ CDNN... usually for around $300. That is a great deal IMO ;)

I am also a BIG S&W guy, but I'd prolly get the Colt for this gun.

3. lsi1

lsi1 Member

Tallbump found me a 15/22 for $370 at field and stream a couple years ago. I like mine a lot. So much in fact that I bought its big brother the 15 sport to use as my AR.

It is polymer but seems bery durable. I have a couple bricks through mine and about 400 without cleaning and the only problems I have had was some feeding issues from 22lr that was older than i am.

I like shooting it a lot I've found no cost savings in 22lr over 5.56 because quite honestly I would shoot up the difference in rounds.

4. I have heard good things about them.
    But you can buy a good bit of.ammo for the price of the mp1522. Have you looked at a 22lr upper for your AR

5. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Good stuff. Light, accurate and reliable. no complaints on my end

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    As already mentioned you can get a Colt M4 22 for a great price.

1 LINK

2 LINK

1: $299.88
    [​IMG]

2: $349.99
    [​IMG]

7. lsi1

lsi1 Member

upper costs nearly the same and requires you to buy other optics or sights as well. I'm a don't put all your eggs in one basket kind of guy.

8. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I had this M&P 15/22 discussion with Dewiejr a few months ago. He owns the Colt, Sig, HK, and several others, and a couple of the S&W AR-22's. He said hands down the S&W was the best AR-22 on the market, no matter what the cost. And with a collection, like nobody's business, I would value his opinion.

9. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have several of the GSG's, not the AR platform, but I have had NO problems with any of them, if you use the correct ammo.

Attached Files:

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I have an S&W 15/22 I set up with a 2lb. trigger, reverse brake, SightMark RD and a SlideFire AR stock..... it runs like a top and I have never had an issue with it. ;)

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    2lb!! :eek:

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I have the 15 & 22. Neither has ever failed me. I have put half dozen brands of 22 food thru the 15-22 and can't remember it ever failing. Very accurate also. JMO :foilhat:

13. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    Thanks guys, I've looked at all the other options I do like the Chiappa.. Or the price anyway.. It's upper will fit on my AR lower.. I've thought of going that route.. I've seen where you can buy just the upper and mags.. But I want another stand alone rifle.. I had made my mine up until I read all this.. So now thinking maybe the Chiappa looks pretty interesting.. Thanks again!

14. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I've had the S&W 15-22 for about 5 years now. Zero problems, run more than 5500 rounds thru it. I also have a DPMS AR15.

When I take friends shooting my 15-22 is the most popular firearm they want to shoot.

I bought the S&W 15-22 because I wanted to be able to do the cross training with a rifle that functioned as much like a true AR15 as possible (safety function, trigger work, popping open the rifle and clearing a jam, etc.) Other than buying a special upper/barrel and mating that to a regular AR lower, the S&W is the closest. All controls function exactly like my full AR15 version.

(in one of the earlier posts was a link to a video on the field strip on the Colt version .22. It showed a pretty unusual takedown that required turning the barrel, using punches to pop the takedown pins, etc. That pretty much blows away the cross training of clearing jams, IMO.)

The price difference between the lower cost models and the 15-22 boils down to a couple thousand rounds at today's pricing. I've pretty much spent as much buying ammo for mine as I paid for the rifle initially.

15. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I know Buds had the uppers for around $150 with two magazines at one time.

Classic has the whole gun.

16. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    *FLASH*

$169 at Buds with two mags!!

LINK

[​IMG]

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Complete at Classic $250

LINK

[​IMG]

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

19. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Opp said decided on the Chiappa (HiPoint) so I left links. I know plenty who use this upper or complete gun with no issues. Runs a bumpfire stock too.