anyone have/use a Battle Belt set up

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by USMC_VET, Jul 7, 2014.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Where's your canteen and E-tool?:p

2. shubbell

shubbell Member

The drop leg gear is pretty popular for it's taticool look, have you ever tried to run with it? Kneel, squat or climb? I say stay away from that stuff. Just my opinion. Your center of gravity is at the hips...pretty much what a LB belt is for. I keep my belt very minimal and use chest LBE or a pack (or possibly both?) for larger gear. I would also like to know what is in the IFAK? Being a medical person, alot of what is shoved in a prepackaged kit may not suit your needs and add weight. It also looks pretty big for a belt kit. My IFAK is barely bigger than a cell phone case. My blow-out kit is about the size of what is posted. Neither are on my belt.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    KEWL, USMCVet!
    I am building my own 'Belt, but ideas are always welcome!

I call it my Batman Utility Belt ;)

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I will have a holster, dump bag (with flap) and multi tool. Plus I can carry an axe and knife.
    All of this is subject to change with the situation. I have 2 safety harness belts, they were
    from damaged harnesses, but the belts were still perfect. A harness must be taken out of
    service in certain conditions and these belts are not going to be used for a safety device to
    bear human weight anyway. It will be perfect for what I am doing, very wide and strong.

6. shubbell

shubbell Member

Might want to include a good fixed blade knife. Full tang preferably.

Sent from my iPad using Hi-Point Forum

7. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

got part of my shipment today which included the drop leg holster ,drop leg M4 ammo pouch ,dual pistol pouch and tactical belt . Put those together earlier today and adjusted the straps and felt very comfortable and easy to move around and bend over .Still waiting on the padded Gen II molle battle belt and should make it more comfortable

also found out that HP carbine mags (4) of them will fit nicely in one of the M4 pouches

the AFAK med kit i was looking at is kinda basic but can build from that like getting a C-A-T "combat application tourniquet" and other items like ammonia inhalants ,this is what was included

Included is the new ACS 1st Response Quik-Clot and all the items necessary for wound management. Contains the following items:1 Israeli Bandage 4" 1 Lip Balm1 Set of Blue Nitrile Gloves 1 Quik-Clot2 H&H Compress Gauze 4.5"x4.1yds. 1 Tan Self Adhesive Bandage 3"1 Tourniquet non pneumatic 1 Tape 1"x10yds.1 Set of EMT Shears 7.5" 1 Triangular Bandage 46"x46"x52"

8. USMC_VET

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That AUS8 steel isn't all that great for holding an edge.

But you can put a really good edge on it.

As a Marine, shouldn't you be sporting this one?

http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Fighting-Utility-Knife-Serrated/dp/B001H53Q6W/ref=sr_1_14?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1404845015&sr=1-14&keywords=fixed+blade+knives

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  10. USMC_VET

11. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

No, no, no. One of THESE...

[​IMG]

12. shubbell

shubbell Member

Very good. I hope they work out for you. Some guys really like the drop leg gear. They just didnt work so well for me...as much as I wanted them to.

The kit looks good. Thanks for the reminder, I need to replace my twist tourniquet with a CAT. The shears can do multi use. I carry 2 sets, one a bit smaller. One stays in the med kit, the smaller is for general use. It is great for skinning.

I use the crap out of my SOG Seal Pup Elite (EDC), it holds an edge very well. My Ka-Bar...loved it until the handle finaly just fell apart. It has paracord on it now, but I like the SOG better...personally.

Keep us informed.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  14. USMC_VET

15. USMC_VET

any difference between the CAT or SWAT tourniquet ??

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Two solutions...para cord, or this:

http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/molle-kbar-adapter.html

17. shubbell

shubbell Member

You would get more milage out of a SWAT in theory. I think either are fine. For me it is a matter of space and weight. I like what I carry, but it takes up too much room. The SWAT or CAT probably are similar in space and weight. The SWAT does have the advantage of being flexible, so it could take care of a hard to reach bleed like a femoral artery.

18. USMC_VET

19. shubbell

shubbell Member

This past Thurs-Sat I helped teach a Tactical Combat Casualty Course (TCCC) for some LEO's in my State. I took the CAT and the SWAT. While I REALLY like the SWAT, one can more easly apply the CAT to themselves and stay in the fight. So my opinion is....both. The SWAT can do multi-duty and does not take up much room in a standard medic kit. Scenarios were drug house breech and active shooter. It was a GREAT course....

The issued gear was a drop leg holster and a drop leg panel for the med kit. Medical personel are operators 1st, so are armed and expected to fire under fire. I switched to a tactical vest the next day. Downside, I lost magazine capacity that way. The majority of the FT operators (SWAT, Sheriff SRT and a couple of ATF's) wore the drop leg and like them. So I guess for what I do, they just do not work. Kneeling, squating or prone, I could not access my sidearm or my med kit very efficiently. With the vest, I could access the med kit in any position, my sidearm in any position but prone (cross-draw on the vest) without some manuevering. My med kit on the drop leg also peeled off in a rapid corner sweep as it caught on the door jamb. That could have happened on the hip or chest as well. So...ymmv.

Summary...go with both tourniquets. Drop-leg is VERY personal. Those FT boys could draw and shoot from the drop-leg like they were in the old west. I learned a ton of new tactical info, got to shoot a lot (have to reconfig my AR now), made new, bad ass friends and generally had a blast. NEVER go into a situation where the BG is a SWAT team member...unless you are wearing diapers. I earned the prestigeous nickname of "DOC" when we were done. Crazy stuff. Highly recommend it!!!

I also realize that I have a real good bartering tool in a SHTF situation. What was really cool was I also got to participate in LEO canine casualty. So...not only can I save you...I can save your dog as well! Water, food, ammo please...none of that green paper stuff;-) I know how to make my own TP.