Anyone Ordered from Southern Ohio Gun Before?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Dlister70, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

I'm looking at the 9mm 995TS, and the cheapest place according to gunwatcher.com is southernohiogun.com

However, they seem to primarily sell to dealers. All the guns have a graphic stating "FFL purchase only". The website says they are "strictly dealer wholesale" but then in the FAQ it says if you don't have an FFL, you can still buy, but you must have it shipped to an FFL.

I've always shipped guns to an FFL, so if that's the only stipulation to get the cheaper price, that's what I was going to have to do anyway.

I've lived in Illinois my whole life, so maybe other states just have the mailman delivering guns with their letters, and I just didn't realize..

Has anyone dealt with this company before? $219.95 sounds pretty hard to beat.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/hi-point-md-995-target.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Unless you're going there to get it, it will have to be shipped and the only way you could do that (unless you have an FFL) is to ship it to your FFL for the transfer. It's not a stipulation so that you get a lower price. It's how it's done period.

3. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

But don't all firearms purchased anywhere online have to ship to an FFL? I thought that was standard procedure because you've got to fill out your paperwork and background check before taking possession.

I've only bought a couple of handguns online, and both had to be shipped to a local FFL where I picked them up after filling out the paperwork. I intend to do the same when I buy the 995TS.

I guess I was a little confused as to how they could be a "dealer only" place, when they also say they sell guns in the same way that I've bought them from other places online.

It made me wonder if shipping to an FFL was an unusual thing that I'm just used to because I'm in a state with restricted gun rights. But a quick Google search seems to indicate that everyone buying guns from an online retailer must ship to an FFL.

So I guess I'm still confused by the place. "Dealer only", except.. Not really. It just sounds a little unusual I guess, and I wondered if anyone had experience with them. I've had good experience with Grabagun.com but they are about $50 more For the Hi Point Carbine.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    My guess is that they have a dealer-only price because dealers buy in quantity, allowing them to make up for the narrower Martine with greater volume. If they sold at those low prices to individuals, they probably wouldn't get enough volume to remain profitable.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

My only experience with them is they are a wholesale house to ffl only.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

SOG will *ONLY* take orders from FFLs. If you want to buy firearms from them you must have your LGS order it for you. They won't allow your LGS pick up either, even if they are local; so be resigned to pay shipping as well as FFL fees. However, unless your LGS rapes you on "handling fees," you can still get decent deals.

However, SOG sell C&R guns to holders.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

7. I have bought guns through them when there was no internet(shotgun news). IIRC they had the same statement in their ads. They accepted my money and shipped to my FFL without problems. But that was 30 years ago.

8. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

Oh I see. Instead of just ordering it myself and shipping to the FFL, I have to get them to order it on my behalf.

Well I don't think my FFL has Hi Points, so maybe they won't mind going this route. It does seem like the sort of thing that would piss me off If I was an FFL who was selling the same gun in my shop and someone tried to get me to order it for them wholesale. :)

Thanks for the info, we'll see how it goes.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I have ordered 5 guns from them. You order the gun from them but your LGS has to send them there FFL and say it's okay to send it to them. Easy. I also used my 03 and ordered a MN 44 to my house.

10. moona11

Shipping is about $18 for long gun. $8 for hand gun

11. 0311

0311 Member

They had a decent deal on some used Beretta trade ins awhile back, but I could not find any info on their site about shipping.

12. jmstevens2

jmstevens2 Member

I have. I just had to have a copy with me.

13. moona11

The thing that sucks is you don't see the shipping cost until after you buy it and your LGS gives approval. But hope my post helps everyone.

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I've purchased from them and had no issues with the quality of the firearms or their service.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They wouldn't allow my FFL when they tried to do the same. I suspect a policy change occurred.

It's either that or my FFL flat out lied to me about required shipping, something which I really doubt since it was their idea to try to pick up.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  16. 0311

0311 Member

Stupid way to do business. I want to know the details of any potential sale before I go through all that.

Doubt they'll be getting any of my $$ anytime soon.

17. Not if they are charging actual costs, as opposed to flat rate estimate to cover all shipping. Which means if you live close you pay the same as the person who lives far.

I don't remember exactly what the shipping was when I bought firearms from them but it was not much. They are a good company and will not screw you, or at least then they didn't. If you want to know the shipping find out what their handling charge is, and which service they use and you can research it yourself.

18. 0311

0311 Member

Say what you will about other on-line retailers. But take Cheaper Than Dirt. They charge $10 to ship. Others are FREE. Whatever it is, it should be right there for you to consider.
    On the other hand is a place like Bud's that offer free shipping, but it takes 2 weeks to get your gun.
    My friend has a FFL, works out of his house, & can get me a gun in 3 days. Sometimes the next day.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Yup. Nearly everybody's got an angle, to pry your money from your hands...