Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a Mossberg 590 with a 14" barrel from Mossberg. It is my understanding that this would be classified as an AOW by the ATF. However, I have also heard that this might also be classified as a "Short Barreled Shotgun". Does anyone have any insight on this?

Also, how would I go about registering an AOW with the ATF? I havent done a lot of research on the subject matter.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
You would have to apply for, pay for, and be approved for the AOW tax stamp from BATFE before you purchased the Mossberg. Then, after approval, you would be able to purchase it.

I believe that it is classified as a Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS) if it meets a certain minimum overall length (OAL). After that minimum OAL has been surpassed it is no longer a SBS but classified as an Any Other Weapon (AOW). An example would be, a shotgun with a 14" barrel but with a full length butt stock would be a SBS, but change the stock to a pistol grip and it becomes an AOW.

Go to the BATFE website. I'll look today also.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd never read this before:

(M21) Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate? [Back]

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]

So you can get them but can't take them anywhere. Great. Glad I've been able to resist the urge to buy.

Also this is awesome:
(M30) Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms? [Back]

The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF's Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax. See Questions M15 and 16 for application details

That should put an end to all those hits being done with paintballs

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
A shotgun can be an AOW or an SBS depending on configuration. there is no minimum length. the best way to do it is register it as a SBS with a stnadard stock afterwhich you can do pretty much whatever you want. if you go the AOW route you are stuck with the configuration you registered it in, no changes. SBS is the way to go.

SW

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
To expand on what Silicon Wolverine said, it can't be an AOW if it has ever had a stock. A smoothbore shotgun can be an AOW only if it has never had a stock installed. Pistol grip is fine. Rifled barrel makes it a "pistol" in a caliber larger than .50 which is a DD (Destructive Device) and that's a $200 stamp again.

SBS = more flexibility
AOW = much cheaper ($5 tax stamp)

TBH, it's probably not worth it unless you just want to own one for the novelty & awesomeness. I would have to recommend against using any NFA items in self-defense due to the mainstream brainwashing and the likelihood of getting convicted in the court of public opinion just because you used an "ILLEGAL" gun (even though it is completely legal when paid for).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Except in states like WA where SBS are a no go. However I believe AOWs are a go. I do know that we are quite limited here.
Like what???

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Like we can't have SBS or SBRs. That is a big bummer. I would gladly pay the 200 dollars for a couple of my AKs. Would be fun to have a real SBR. I would even consider doing it to my GSG but again, no SBR.

And no full auto either. :( I would have gladly dropped 4k on a full auto Mac 10 or something a couple of years ago if we could do full auto but that isn't in the cards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like we can't have SBS or SBRs. That is a big bummer. I would gladly pay the 200 dollars for a couple of my AKs. Would be fun to have a real SBR. I would even consider doing it to my GSG but again, no SBR.

And no full auto either. :( I would have gladly dropped 4k on a full auto Mac 10 or something a couple of years ago if we could do full auto but that isn't in the cards.
Well, it doesn't say you can't own them, just not illegally. Have you contacted anybody on this??

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think you are missing the fact that here in WA, we cannot legally own full auto/sbs/sbr NFA guns even with the tax stamp. That is the crux of the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.