apple seed anyone?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lcback, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Has anyone here gone to an apple seed event?

I just learned about them last week, I would have signed up for a December run but I don't have a semi-auto 22. My only semi-auto is the 995ts and after 500+ rds for the apple seed I may as well save my pennies for a 10/22 or marlin 795 around Christmas sale's and then go in the spring.

If any of you have gone, how does the scoring work? did you have fun?

for those of you who have no idea what im talking about

Text copied from site. https://appleseedinfo.org/

Can you hit a target at 25 yards? How about at 500 yards? Whether you are are new to the shooting sports or a seasoned shooter Appleseed will be able to teach you a thing or two.

For the new shooter we can teach you to use your rifle safely and also be able to hit your target. For the seasoned shooter we can teach you to shoot more accurately - even out to 500 yards.

Project Appleseed can help transform you from a man with a rifle into a Rifleman. A Rifleman is more than a man (or woman) with a rifle. A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American. And he knows why: This is a nation founded by Riflemen -- men and women skilled in the use of arms.

Those skills served the colonists well when they stood up to the British on April 19, 1775, at Lexington and Concord, and routed the British forces that tried to seize the colonists' arms. They did it with grit, with determination, and with superior skill in marksmanship. They pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor to the task. And they didn't stop until they had won. Throughout history, Riflemen have embodied personal responsibility and been pillars of their communities, characteristics that are becoming ever more rare in our nation.

At Project Appleseed, we want to return America to being a nation of Riflemen. And we want you to join us.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Looks like a cool event

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That does sound like fun. It's too bad a bolt-action .22 can't be used. That's all I have for a .22 rifle. Oh well. I've been wanting a 10/22 for awhile, anyhow.

4. Yeah, Im hoping to get $200 squirreled away from the wife bey the annual black friday $199 sale

You can use bigger rifles if you have an AR. or I COULD use the 995. But im afraid the price of ammo is just to high to be going through 500+

They said experienced people will do okay with a bolt gun. But your scores and training involve timed shots.

The training seems to be worth it though, even for people who have shot all there lives without any formal training.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Willy Wonkster should get a Marlin 795 instead ;)
    Got mine for $179 and it's more accurate than a 10/22 as well.

So they say... Plus, I found it to be extremely accurate,
    even a poor old Mole can place all the shots in a quarter
    at short ranges :D Moles are mostly blind, don'tcha know!
    [​IMG]

6. Think1st

Florida

If I find a place where I can start shooting matches when I get back, I might actually use my AR to start since those are okay.

I've seen those 795s for pretty good prices at PSA, though, and they were tempting. The proliferation of magazines and accessories do make the 10/22 that much more attractive, though. It looks like I'll have to do some research.

Hickock45 should be a good place to start. Everyone was so impressed with his review of the C9, so I imagine that everyone would agree that his word will be the most authoritative on the subject.

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

Last paragraph... :rofl:

On a related note, I really want a Marlin 795. I've been looking at them on Academy's website and their price is great, plus Promag (I know...gross.) apparently makes a 25 rounder with surprisingly good Youtube reviews.

After my experience with Promag I won't even buy them for my guns but it's not like I'm going to be replacing my AK with the 795 so I don't see much harm. I just don't trust them because I've seen Promags choke even the most reliable guns up.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  8. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

It'll cost You about $200 above the cost of a 10/22 to get You to the accuracy of a right out of the box Marlin.

eldar

9. If that's true ill probably try and grab a marlin 60 or 795.

the ruger just has such a charm about it. Or maybe its the want for 1 gun that is seen as a solid purchase

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My Glenwood (Marlin) 60 is very accurate...

11. Appleseed is very popular here. They have 2 of them each year. Most times that I go to the nearest range I see one or more people practicing it.

I've never done one, as the method doesn't apply to the hunting method we use back home. Also, Fred wrote a whole article once in SGN about us Wisconsin boys not really needing Appleseed training. He'd personally held one in Wisconsin and I think it was tittled 'Them Wisconsin boys can shoot!!'.

12. Think1st

Florida
    Are we talking about overlapping bullet strikes at 100 yards (Marlin) versus 2-inch groups at 100 yards (Ruger)?

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Don't hate son...

Attached Files:

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I looked up the course of fire, and I see no reason why it couldn't be done with a bolt gun. I used to shoot hi power matches with an Enfield P17 and kept them in the black. My Ruger American in 22 or 22 mag would be good for this, except maybe 400 yards. That is a bit long for a 22.

15. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

So, a Marlin 795 just went on the wishlist.......

16. Not fair, that 10/22 is worth $400 ish?

If anyone wants to trick out a 22 the 10/22 is definitely the way to go.

as for marlin
    I'm not sure if i would rather have a 795, or model 60. I believe they are the same action, only mag fed vs tube fed.

17. Rachgier

Worth $400? Closer to $500 with the stock and upgraded internals, but I paid $600 for it in NY from a buddy and fellow firefighter getting divorced who needed the cash. I think the last time I priced just the glass alone it was a $300+ scope. He built it to run in local competitions and I got a box of the bx 25 mags, the original stock, and the original guts.

18. I remember when you made the deal, a very cool gun.

I think most of us are looking for a budget gun. I just cant bring my self to pay the normal asking price of a 10/22 $250+

19. Rachgier

You're in the path of my cannonball run aren't you? If I'm stopping in Erie with some ammo to drag tall to the range, his call of course, I should keep this and my 4095 handy. Could make a day of it.