Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good AR dedicated upper in 22lr with a bull barrel? I'm looking around for one, and considering purchasing one. Anyone know anything much about them? Accuracy, reliability of magazines?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any suggestions? That surprises me :blink:. I'm thinking of getting a Velocity. It doesn't have a bull barrell though. I can't find one with a decent bull barrel for less than $600 I have heard good and bad things about them, but it is in my price range and I think it will work for me.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
No one has any suggestions? That surprises me :blink:. I'm thinking of getting a Velocity. It doesn't have a bull barrell though. I can't find one with a decent bull barrel for less than $600 I have heard good and bad things about them, but it is in my price range and I think it will work for me.
I have been looking for something also. I do not have the money right now but I did see these.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta/storeproduct725.aspx

Do you have a link to the one you are looking at?
Aries

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Hi there....I have been looking into this also and (because of the same reasons) I am gravitating towards the Velocity dedicated upper, whithout front sight or flash hider.

I have not been able to find anybody that can say how these perform but, this thread (link below) is promising and for approx $335. it is something I can handle.

https://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74688

If you get one, keep me informed, I would really like to know. If I get one, I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Can I ask what your intended purpose is for the .22 AR? I was thinking about building one until I researched prices for the upper and spare magazines. In the process though, I did find some very attractive alternatives to using the AR platform. Most people want dedicated ARs so that they can afford to practice more. Just wondered if that was your reasoning and if you've looked into alternatives.

-'bridge

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i mainly want it to practice with more. I love the AR platform. I am also in the market for a .22 and I was considering a 10/22, but I just think the AR platform would be so much more fun than a 10/22 and once I did all that I wanted to do to a 10/22, it would come out to be about the same price anyway. I really wanted a bull barrel though. I will probably buy the Savage bolt .22lr I have been looking at eventually too though. I believe it is a MKIIBTVS it has a stainless steel bull barrel, a thumb hole laminate stock and the accutrigger. That will be easier to get though, so I think my next purchase will be the upper.

I am open to hearing alternatives though.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Feast your eyes on this if you haven't seen it already. http://www.rbprecision.com/id72.htm

I've been in contact with RB Precision for a few years now. I prefer their Gen 1 stock over the new Gen 2 but they're both very nice.

I consider it one of the few truly best-of-both-worlds guns available.

Whaddya think?

-'bridge

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is pretty sweet bridge, I may check into that. I just wish I could find a decent used 10/22 somewhere because all I really need is the receiver, seeing that I want to put a bull barrel on it.

Zero, the kit still uses the standard 223 barrel which is slightly larger than the .22lr. The .22 bullet basically "bounces" slightly in the larger diameter barrel. The twist rate is also different, so your accuracy is crap with it. You also have the trouble of crudding up your gas tube because the .22 ammo is so dirty and gritty.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Eventually, I will have 3 ARs in my stable. At this time, I have one Cenier .22lr kit to use between the 3.
What do you think of the Cenier? I have read good and bad things.One of the problems I have read about is that using your 223 upper with this kit to shot 22 will clog your gas tube over time. I have also read that accuarcy is not good.
Aries

G

·
I have a Ceiner kit and love it. Haven't noticed any issues with the gas tube clogging (never cleaned more then spraying junk through it either with over 1k 5.56 through it and probably 3k .22). But you MUST clean the chamber after using it. The seal between the adapter and the chamber isn't perfect (good thing I suppose, less likely to wear), and all kinds of junk gets in there. The first few times I used it, I just threw my 5.56 bolt carrier back and and blasted away. Ended up with a case stuck in the chamber each time. My only real gripe is that the mags kinda suck to load (sharp edges, no hold down on the follower). I don't have any of them yet, but I understand several places (Black Dog Machining comes to mind) offer improved design magazines.

As far as accuracy of the kit, I can put 5 in a quarter at 50yds with it.

A couple of side notes...
It cycles 9 times out of 10 for me with Agiula (?) SSS subsonics, though I've been told that's unusually good.
The guy at the range I bought it from ordered one at the same time for his M-16. Not quite as impressive as 5.56, but only 30 cents a second. 8)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I have a Ceiner kit and love it. Haven't noticed any issues with the gas tube clogging (never cleaned more then spraying junk through it either with over 1k 5.56 through it and probably 3k .22). But you MUST clean the chamber after using it. The seal between the adapter and the chamber isn't perfect (good thing I suppose, less likely to wear), and all kinds of junk gets in there. The first few times I used it, I just threw my 5.56 bolt carrier back and and blasted away. Ended up with a case stuck in the chamber each time. My only real gripe is that the mags kinda suck to load (sharp edges, no hold down on the follower). I don't have any of them yet, but I understand several places (Black Dog Machining comes to mind) offer improved design magazines.

As far as accuracy of the kit, I can put 5 in a quarter at 50yds with it.

A couple of side notes...
It cycles 9 times out of 10 for me with Agiula (?) SSS subsonics, though I've been told that's unusually good.
The guy at the range I bought it from ordered one at the same time for his M-16. Not quite as impressive as 5.56, but only 30 cents a second. 8)
Thanks for the info.
Aries

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I have a Ciener kit that I run with Black Dog Machine (BDM) magazines. As long as you keep everything clean, polished, and lightly lubed, there should be no issues. Federal 550 bulk pack @ $14- makes for a cheap day of shooting!

I've added ten more BDM magazines to the collection since this picture was taken. I put the rifle together over time by hunting parts down over on AR15.com. Bushmaster lower, unknown flat top upper, 1/12 twist chrome lined USGI barrel and an NOS A1 butt stock.

I haven't put the rifle on a bench yet to see what it's capable of, but these groups were typical when fired at 25 yards while sitting on the ground using my knee as a rest.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I have a Ciener kit that I run with Black Dog Machine (BDM) magazines. As long as you keep everything clean, polished, and lightly lubed, there should be no issues. Federal 550 bulk pack @ $14- makes for a cheap day of shooting!

I've added ten more BDM magazines to the collection since this picture was taken. I put the rifle together over time by hunting parts down over on AR15.com. Bushmaster lower, unknown flat top upper, 1/12 twist chrome lined USGI barrel and an NOS A1 butt stock.

I haven't put the rifle on a bench yet to see what it's capable of, but these groups were typical when fired at 25 yards while sitting on the ground using my knee as a rest.

Thanks for the information and the pictures. I might get one of theses later instead of a complete upper.
Aries

1 - 16 of 16 Posts