Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a moral dilemma these past few months...whether or not to acquire an AR-15 during these hectic times. I have a trade lined up, but I'll outline that next. My good buddy (who'll probably see this post) feels I should keep the Mini-14 I'd use for the trade because it'd be worth more someday. He also feels the AR's will drop dramatically in price/value after all this crap is over with.

I'm really looking for any kind of opinion, here.

The trade is:

My (new) Ruger Mini-14 base model with 20, 30 and 5 round mags (+plus some cash) for a brand new Bushmaster (pictured below) with (3) 30-round mags and (1) 10-round. If I didn't do the trade, I'd keep the Mini and use the cash to purchase one, maybe even two handguns. I'm leaning towards an EAA Windicator and maybe something else.

MSRP on this model rifle is slightly above $1,100.00

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right now the value on your mini is maybe 450-500$. if hes willing ot trade you an 1100$ rifle straight up id be all over it.

SW
With this particular trade, I'll be throwing in cash. The amount of cash is fair to me and the trade itself is fair. My biggest question is whether or not AR's will always be circa-$1,000.00 rifles, or if their value/price could drop drastically at any time.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Those rifles went for $800-900 before the election, so I'd say jump on it...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Inflation has a tendency to stick even if its not justified. For example they blamed the rise in the price of food on the increase in the price of fuel, now that the price of fuel has dropped the price of food has not gone down in kind. I have a feeling that you will see the same situation with AR's. Now on the other hand th forced inflation of Mini-14 prices ( due to the fact that people are wanting an automatic rifle and if they cant get an AR they will settle for a Mini) I think you will see drop, right now people are willing to pay more for mini's due to the fact that the market is dry on AR's. I think that once the panic fades and you can get a Mini at Walmart again for 600.00 the value of a used Mini will drop down to what it was pre election.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I've been wanted an AR for awhile now, but the sheer lack of .223 ammo around here turns me off everytime I touch one. Same reason I dont buy a Bersa, or cheap ~$80 "suplus" handguns. I personally, dont thing they will get cheaper after this mess is over, nothing gets cheaper....ever. I remember the day I turned 18, my buddy's dad got me a hooker. $40 for the "anything I can do in an hour" package. Go down to 47th and Broadway in Wichita, KS now....that same package is over $200. And thats if you find someone who still swings that deal.

If your dead set on an AR, sell your Mini and get one of those new "Sportical" AR platforms from DPMS.

edited by Strangerous: I white'd the text out that isn't family friendly, highlight the text to read it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I would do the trade.

If you do and you love your new gun, you will be happy about it.

If you don't, you will always be forcing yourself to accept your mini as a valid AR replacement and you will deep down regret it no matter how many times you say to yourself "My mini is just as good as an AR".

If the value drops, you might lose what? 100-300 dollars? That really isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The AR is not going to drop in price. The price hasn't really gone up all that much anyways (as a percentage).

AK variants have more than doubled in price, and aren't worth what people are shelling out for them. AR's on the other hand are up 50-100 for kits, and 100-200 on full rifles. Brownells still sells the Superior lowers for $96 (when they are in stock) if you have an 01, or an 03 (you just need to ship it to your local 01).

I say do the trade.

·
Registered
166 Posts
used ar-15s don,t depreciate because they are hard to get new and someone is always willing to buy one used so it is not in their name . When the old assault weapons ban went into effect the pre ban guns brought a premmiun .get it quick!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lotsa good points here, guys...and I think you're right: it's not going to drop that much in price, and I'll just regret not taking the deal when I had the opportunity. I'm sure I'll have more fun with the AR than I will with the Ruger, anyway. Just gotta get a collapsible stock on there :tongue2:

Bobotech:

I shot you a PM today--let me know if you got it or not :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been in a locale gun shop 2 in the last month and both times the rack was full of AR-15s everything from a DPMS With A3 flat top for $749 to a M&P-15 A3 flat top with handle for $1399 all new. I have not seen a shortage of them or .223 at wally wold for $76 for 200 rounds. Glad I live here.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I stay away from .223 anyway just because of the fun and games the Feds play with that market.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
There is a place that sells Bushmaster AR's for 700 NIB. It's called Hoplite Inc. 502-955-5014 8am-5pm EST. It has a collapsible stock, 16" heavy barrel, 30 rd mag, it's just an A2 style carbine.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If you going to spend $1200+ any way may as well go for Springfield M1 (Civilian model of the M-14, not the carbine or those AR clones) that is perhaps the best combat rifle I ever shot. I didn't even know they were still in production so now I'm on a quest to find one. Just have to be patient to get a sane price.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
springfeild amory has a whole line of m-14s I like the socom with the short barrel but they are pricey
Very pricey in deed. One in a firearms store was going for 1900.00 today. This is just too much wayyy too much.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
The best rifle I own is 2300 bucks (then again I am fortunate that my dad gave it to me as a gift), if you have the money for expensive weapons I don't see the problem with getting them, don't cheap out if you don't have to, I hate penny pinchers... I'm not rich myself so if I can't afford the gun I want I wait and save up for it. And no, AR-15 prices will not always be high as I told you a place where you can get a new one for 700 bucks. So good luck :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.