AR 500 vs. lower grade steel

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by desertrider, Feb 29, 2016.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

I stumbled across (literally) some steel plates this weekend while poking around some garage sales with my wife.

Some are square and approx six to eight inches square, others are rectangular and approx six by ten inches. They vary in thickness from 3/8" to 1/2".

I threw one on the drill press and was able to go through with a 5/16" bit at a slow speed with an occasional squirt of cutting oil to keep the bit from overheating.

My plan from the get go was to use these exclusively for .22 plinking, but I'm wondering if they will hold up to some low velocity .38sp and .45acp rounds?

I don't know if all the plates are of the same grade, which sucks because I'd like to sacrifice one for testing, but that doesn't mean the results will be consistent among the remaining plates.

I'm certain that .22's will just flatten out against them, but I'd hate to dimple them with the .38's and .45's.

Any of you guys use standard grade steel with low velocity pistol rounds? Any deformation/craters?

2. desertrider

desertrider Member

Here's an update for all the crickets in the house.:D

I took some time yesterday evening to start working on my plates and frames.

Here are the five plates after I started the drilling. The actual dimensions are 6 x 6 x 3/4 thick, 8 x 8 x 3/4 thick, 6 x 10 x 3/4 thick, 8 x 16 x 1 thick, and 6 x 6-1/2 x 2 thick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drilling went pretty easy using four steps with progressively larger drill bits ending with 3/8" holes.

[​IMG]

The whole reason I was garage saling with my wife was to pick up some bed frames to make stands for my AR500 plates. Here are some bed frames I picked up and stripped down to the angle iron.

[​IMG]

Done for the night, still have a couple more holes to drill to reinforce the frame with bolts and still need to hang the plates. Hopefully I'll have the time to finish this weekend.

[​IMG]

Total investment so far is $15, five bucks each for two bed frames, and five bucks for all the plates. The chains and hardware I already had. Can't wait to see how this works out!