Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in another thread, I recently became the owner of a 20" heavy barrel AR.
It's a flat top and I'm looking for a good quality carry handle sight to make it as original as possible.
I've always been an AK guy, so when it comes to the good and bad quality parts for ARs, I'll be honest I'm not that well versed.
I've been looking at one by Yankee Hill Machinery, but it was close to $120.
That's a bit much for my wallet at the moment, due to Christmas being extra tight this year. Any of you AR vets know of a good quality carry handle sight that won't break my bank?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The flat to reciever is original for that gun. It is designed more for a scope than for open sights. Our military is currently using some flat top for their squad designated marksman. I just don't know how sturdy the add on after market carry handles would be. If you want to really have the "classic" AR-15 look, you would be well off getting another upper for your rifle with the built in carry handle.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The flat to reciever is original for that gun. It is designed more for a scope than for open sights. Our military is currently using some flat top for their squad designated marksman. I just don't know how sturdy the add on after market carry handles would be. If you want to really have the "classic" AR-15 look, you would be well off getting another upper for your rifle with the built in carry handle.

Just my $.02
I should have clarified a bit more, when i say original, I mean to make it look like the original design with no flat top.
A more "traditional" look so to speak.
I have indeed looked into getting another upper, probably a 16" inch .

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
There are a bazillion of them out there, and I NEVER saw one that cost that much before!
But I am cheap... :devilsidesmile:

Cheaperthandirt and lots of other places sell the cheap ones, some really crap, some perfectly serviceable.

Leapers makes one with A2 style adjusters, also not top shelf quality, but...here's free shipping at under $40
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-ar-15-carry-handle-mnt-950.html

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I'm lookign for is something in that happy medium: not too terribly expensive but still good quality. I've got a detachablr rear sight on it now, it's a DPMS I believe.
But for some reason I just really want a carry handle sight.
I love that profile. :D

G

·
Just a heads up patriot: That carry handle doesnt really allow you to carry it by the handle. I know this from my UTG Carry handle: Not much room for fingers. Granted, its an imported knock off (all I could afford back then)but from studying all of them, even the name brand ones: There just isnt enough room to get your fingers in to comfortably grip it like the traditional non-flattop uppers do.

If you shop around, esp places like arfcom, you might find a deal on a used "quality" carry handle. I have seen bushys and others for between sixty to ninety dollars. Good luck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a heads up patriot: That carry handle doesnt really allow you to carry it by the handle.
Yeah, I've heard that. Makes you wonder why they even bothered.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well, you CAN carry it by the carry handle but you'll typically get smacked upside the head by another AR owner if you do...

I have a Fire For Effect Carry Handle I bought a while back...found a nice red dot Im thinking about buying, so I might sell this carry handle if I do...

The red dot:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Served in the Marines 4 years 97-01. Carried it that way exactly no times.

Can still picture the four drill instructors yelling at the one recruit who tried to carry it that way about 5 minutes after we were first issued our M16A2's.

One of the most useless features I ever encountered on them...aside from the whole shitting where they eat thing.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
But for some reason I just really want a carry handle sight.
I love that profile....
It is the distinguishing feature; Gene Stoner must have had a good reason for it.

G

·
I have been studying this topic out. Those that I talk with all want to push me toward a RockRiver NM carry handle. But I just don't have that money. I have been looking all around. I have yet to see any difference between a $39 one and a $89 one. It is very Frustrating!!! The two that I see popping up all the time online is the UTG and the CAA ones. After days and hours of study I still dont have any real solid info to stand on.

G

·
IIRC: THE main reason Eugene had that feature, was early incarnations of the AR platform, had a cocking lever in that slot where the "Fingers" go, thus making it ambidxtrious. Insert finger, pull back on handle, let go forward. On NodakSpuds Retro AR page, you see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know, my Stag came with one installed, it is removable. As for fellow AR owners smacking you down, that must be some Marine thing or something, as I saw people carrying by that handle all the time in the Army through my time there, I guess nobody got real touchy about it when a squad came back in the wire after a few weeks out in the rice paddies. But then again, their reluctance to be picky about it might have been the mental state of those carrying it by the handle, I don't recall returning from patrol in a real warm and fuzzy attitude. Any BS might well have provoked a lot of full auto fire toward the person complaining.

If I ever take mine off, it will be to mount a Trijicon on it. But that thing costs nearly as much as the rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.