Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if anyone saw my last post, I'm going to be picking up a Century Arms C15 Sporter (AR-15) in exchange for my base model Ruger Mini-14.

The only thing I detest about that rifle is the barrel/handguard length. My plan is to swap over to a 16" barrel and--subsequently--a shorter handguard.

My question is...when you swap out barrels, do you also have to change to a shorter gas tube? Also, any other tips you guys could offer for the swap? Anything to watch out for? I did a bunch of reading and it seems easy enough, but I always like to hear what others have to say.

Lastlly, if anyone has a barrel for sale, let me know :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have nothing to add other than nice trade wish I could come across a deal like that. Best of luck on the build from what I hear AR's are a bottomless pit of upgrading and configuration changing fun.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
just buy a complete upper in the configuration you want and sell or keep the other. then you dont have to fart around checking headspacing and such. if you buy a built upper the spacing is set and you drop ina bolt and go. headspacing can really be a bear to get right, BTDT. its not just swap and go.

SW

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Well, if anyone saw my last post, I'm going to be picking up a Century Arms C15 Sporter (AR-15) in exchange for my base model Ruger Mini-14.

The only thing I detest about that rifle is the barrel/handguard length. My plan is to swap over to a 16" barrel and--subsequently--a shorter handguard.

My question is...when you swap out barrels, do you also have to change to a shorter gas tube? Also, any other tips you guys could offer for the swap? Anything to watch out for? I did a bunch of reading and it seems easy enough, but I always like to hear what others have to say.

Lastlly, if anyone has a barrel for sale, let me know :)
you need some tools to get it done right. there is an upper receiver block that you put the upper in and in your vise. then you have to use a barrel wrench to break the barrel nut free after you remove the gas tube. you will need a carbine length gas tube. headspace isn't really an issue if you get a new barrel. if you're really paranoid, a smith can check it out for you.

basically if you only plan to swap 1 barrel in your life, pay and have someone do it. if you have a lotta ars, it's worth it to invest in the tools.

G

·
I have gathered all the AR tools that I can, and have all those tools, but I lack the knowledge to do so.

I will have to mimic SW on this: Just keep it and find one that suits you, or sell it and use profits to find one that you like.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input so far, guys. Lots of good points were made, so let's see if I can hit some of them.

*I have a lead on all the tools--they're available at my local shop

*I've read mixed reviews on the headspace--I'll have to do some more research.

*SW: a complete upper would be nice, yes. But what it comes down to is a price difference of about 200-250 which I'd love to spend elsewhere. Also, some of these rifles already came with Panther uppers, so I'm not sure if I should even swap a good upper out.

*I've been fabricating for years now and love to do things myself. I'm all for giving this a shot and from what I read, it shouldn't be too bad at all.

****The biggest problem I'm facing right now is that barrels, uppers and lowers are soooo back-ordered right now. Anywhere from 8-12 weeks to 12-14 months. I'm going to hope and pray I can find one at the gun show next month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.