AR questions - urgent

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, May 15, 2018.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Since I know next to nothing about AR’s couple of questions for you:
    I’ve been offered an AR on top of cash for the sale of a vehicle.
    Actually two guns.
    AR is alledgedly by Tenessee Arms but online I can only find assembled lowers and not complete guns.

0503FDC5-22BD-4B83-BC77-BF098D95279E.jpeg

Scope doesn’t come with the gun.
    Anybody recognize if this is a parts gun? Estimated value?
    Second gun is a SAR 45.
    He’s given me the choice, those two or a single gun... Colt Detective.

Actually these are the choices as he texted them:
    “I have a nice ar15, nice glock45, sar arms 45, colt 38 detective special, lil 22 or 2, some Swiss army rifle”

Two guns my choice in lieu of $1000 or just the colt.
    Decisions decisions...
    I’m not really feeling the Glock although it may be an easy sell.
    Not looking for another rifle caliber but a Schmidt Rubin may be an easy sell too.
    The AR I’d probably keep and sell the SAR but used that’s probably a $250-$300 gun.

2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

It's a polymer lower. Actually that's all I saw on TNArms's website. Polymer is a no go for many buyers. It's a parts gun. They don't sell any barrels or uppers.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    moona11 likes this.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

It's a part.rts gun. Would like to know what the components are.

Personally, it is a no-go. I do not like the poly lowers, I have seen too many fail. YMMV.

moona11 likes this.
  4. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

If it's in great shape, I'd go with the Colt Detective.

lklawson likes this.
  5. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

My inclination was to go for the Glock and the SAR and trade then both in for a nice 1911.
    Don’t know the Colt .38 was such a hot ticket item.
    But they seem to go for $800-$2500 and anywhere in between.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Only the Colt is anything close to worth losing $1000 out of the deal...

MAYBE the Swiss rifle plus the Glock, depending on if the rifle is a K31 or an older gun, and condition, plus any owner tag. But that may be harder to find a buyer.

I wouldn’t trust any AR wearing that POS scope...and the fact that he wants to keep it is odd.

moona11 likes this.
  7. Tomcat1108

Tomcat1108 Supporting Member

Negative on a polymer AR lower.

8. Dane

Dane + unkown number of likes Supporting Member

Take the money! Put yourself on the sellers end. Would you trade something worth more than the money? Could always do a deal later with the cash on the guns if you really wanted one or more.

adam01364 likes this.
  9. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Problem is that he’s got trouble finding the last $1000.
    He’s paying my rock bottom cash price so anything on top is essentially gravy so I’m not really that concerned whether it adds up to a grand if it gets close.
    But more is better obviously.
    He sold the scope separately.
    None of the guns really lights my fire so I’m looking at trading them in for something that does.
    Which means it needs to be sellable for a gun shop as I’m not crazy about private sales.
    I don’t know enough about the Swiss to make an educated guess so I’m thinking the two .45’s or the Colt.
    If the Colt is the most interesting I know a shop in town where I could trade it for a $700-$800 1911.
    Forgot to mention the guy in question is a wheeler dealer kinda guy and his dad runs a small pawnshop where the guns are at.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

One plus about the three-dimensional printer polymer AR-15 lower receivers is you can make one on your own. The only problem I hear is the life on an AR-15 polymer receiver is no where near a steel or aluminum AR-15 receiver. (Anyone have any experience on the life of a polymer AR-15 receiver?) What is the life of a metal AR-15 receiver? I read you could burn out ten or more AR-15 barrels, about 100,000 rounds on good parts, before the metal AR-15 receiver would be at the end of life.

11. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

Swaga, if he is having problems getting the last $1,000 just tell him to go get a loan from a bank.

12. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

I’ve been trying to sell this car for a while and he’s the only viable coherent lead I’ve had in a while.
    So I’d rather not tank the deal.
    Wife needs another car by September and I need cash for the car fund.
    If I end up trading for a nice 1911 to keep I’ll be ok with it.
    If he pays $4500 cash I get no gun out of it. ;)

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sounds like the Colt is the answer....but I'd offer for the Colt AND the SAR, it's a cheap import gun anyway, right? The shop probably gave someone $100 for it, it isn't like he'll be out much money on it. If he won't budge, you can drop back to the Colt alone, and maybe ask for some ammo?

14. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

I’m going to take a look at the guns on Saturday morning.
    Anything in particular that I need to look for on these guns?
    Any Glock-ticular?
    It’s supposedly a Gen 4.
    Anything on the Colt?
    I plan on looking up the serial number here:
    https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

15. Dane

Sounds like a questionable deal with guns coming from his dads pawnshop. How will they be removed from their inventory? Sell to you and do a transfer? Son just take them?? The dad aware of the pending deal??

16. Dane

Also if pawnshop deal is legit how about have him sweeten the deal by throwing in one of the 22s with the two gun. Nice revolver would be cool

17. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Yeah I’ve been thinking about the legalities .
    He owns the shop that his dad runs.
    So I’ll probably do the background check and take the guns, that way they’re legally removed out of his inventory.
    I’m not looking for an experience with the men in black knocking on my door looking for ‘missing’ guns.
    No interested in any .22’s lol
    Those are going to be $1.50/round after the next elections ;)

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Buuuuuuu.....t aren't you one of the MIB?

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The Colt is, by far, the most desirable to collectors. It is also the most likely to appreciate in value.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

SWAGA likes this.
  20. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

moona11, lklawson and TNTRAILERTRASH like this.