AR rails and grips

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Jan 24, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Looking at adding more parts onto my AR , looking at installing a mag well grip as it feels more comfortable holding the rifle there besides using a vertical forward grip . Also since I've got a Troy industries 7" quad rail looking at using rail covers but there's 3 different styles

Anyone here using any of these ?? , do they help any or ??

2. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I left the extra rails off my handguard, just the top rail and a really short bottom rail for a bipod

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I am only using a full length top rail & medium bottom rail.

Attached Files:

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    My son liked his, got enough for all the unused rails. Not that expensive, either. MagPul, even...

5. USMC_VET

How good are the Magpul XTM enhanced rail covers ??

6. USMC_VET

Went with Magpul xtm enhanced FDE rail covers and purchased (3) boxes so I had enough plus extras so I could use them on both side rails of my Troy industries quad rail .it took (4) covers on the l/side and (3) on the r/side . Did it this way so I could have room on the r/side front for a light

I also used Magpul FDE ladder rail covers on the upper and lower rails and between both the XTM enhanced and ladder covers the quad rail really looks awesome and also feels very comfortable

Not only did I do those mods I also swapped out my black Magpul Moe+grip or #mag416-blk for a fde Magpul K2+grip #mag532-fde and that really made the rifle look very nice . Next mod might be a fde Magpul ACL stock to replace the black Magpul ACL stock I bought when I purchased my AR a few months back

Will have pics posted soon !!

7. 45Man

45Man Member

It depends on the balance. I mount the vertical grip close to the magwell with a CAA tri-rail mount. Small rail forward for the bipod.

[​IMG]

8. USMC_VET

Nice set up you've got there !!:) , what collapsible stock is that ?? Doesn't look like Magpul

9. slade601

slade601 Member

Think the stock is vltor.

10. USMC_VET

here it is with the Magpul FDE XTM rail covers , FDE ladders , Magpul pistol grip and vertical grip . the open space on that side rail is for the tactical flash light mount

with this set up i've got more than enough storage area between the forward grip ,pistol grip and stock

[​IMG]

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Use a 45 degree offset for your forward grip.... it has a better feel and you'll probably find it much more comfortable to use. I also find it gives more control. ;)

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    A15-2 is going to get the "Lite" treatment. Stock or MagPul MOE forend, Mako MWG (cqb style) and that's about it. The MOE can have lights/acc attached with minimal rails and weight. Maybe a small light/laser combo, whatever is the bare minimum for the mission. K.I.S.S. Theory :D

13. USMC_VET

Never heard of mounting the VFG on a 45 deg mount !!

14. USMC_VET

That's exactly what I'm trying to do is make my AR as light as possible and using only Magpul components . I am however running a Troy industries 7" quad rail and this allows plenty of options for optics, grips or lights but again keeping the total weight down

I might change up the rail covers some and may remove the upper/lower ladder rail covers and go with more FDE Magpul XTM covers . Also looking at a Magpul XTM offset light mount on the r/front of the quad rail

Just by adding those XTM covers the quad rail feels a lot more comfortable . What I really like is the Magpul ACL stock as the cheek rest is very comfortable and Magpul makes pads to increase comfort . A plus is the storage compartment makes for a nice area to store needed items

15. 45Man

45Man Member

Correct. Got it a few years ago for the Bushmaster Dissipator. I decided to swap the AA one to the Bushy which originally had a very odd collapsible stock, i.e. 2-positions.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    I have considered a 9 o'clock or a 7 o'clock mounting for a grip on the KelTec Sub2000, and 3 o'clock or 1 offset RDS, (actually 45* offset) so it can still fold and not disturb things. Glad you find it works well, Flash!

You are listing some of the things I want for #1 here :D
    I have a short quad rail, had pix but they are not on my computer now:confused: but #1 looks pretty bad-a$$ but for low $! $700 in it, my Top Shooter was really impressed! Practically shoots it's self. I want to keep it mostly K.I.S.S. also, but for different purposes. I have a night vision picked out for it, but that could change by the time I get those funds. Not sure if I want to co-witness with a 3x power NV or not. Any input here, 'Vet? I could get 45* offset brackets, use my MBUS rear and buy a front. Slam the current RDS onto #2 for the CQB and be done with it, after MWG :D

17. USMC_VET

Never heard of co witnessed night vision !! :confused: , but have seen the use of multi-power magnifiers like Eotech or similiar style magnifier behind a night vision scope .I've got a friend with a set up like this so he can protect his cattle from mtn lions at night

Now something you
    may want to do which I'm thinking of doing is going to another style Magpul stock like goingfrom my Magpul ACS-L stock to their newer PRS series . The PRS is popular with the AR10 platform and has adjustable LOP , adjustable cheek rest and butt pad plus a storage compartment

Mako also makes a really nice collapsible stock called their GL mag survival stock , this is a really nice stock that has a storage area to hold a loaded magazine

18. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Give it a try... I think you'll see the benefits pretty quick. It gives you better vertical as well as horizontal recoil control and faster re-acquisition of target on followup shots. Also for FA use it can't be beat. ;)

19. USMC_VET

If it feels anything like that pos AFG or thumb over rail grip then no thanks . I'm an old Marine that doesn't like change and the vertical foregrip in its original position feels the best for me and 2nd to that the mag well grip

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    I love that GL model, and practically ALL the Mako accessories are really nice! If you want to sell the ACS stock LMK, it's on my list of likelys :D

Is there ANYTHING you haven't done, Flash?:p