AR variant vs. Ruger Mini-14?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by browwiw, Dec 21, 2007.

1. browwiw

browwiw Member

This summer I've decided that I'm finally going to man up and put together a .223 target rifle. The obvious choice is to build an AR, but I hear good things about the Ruger Mini-14. I'm split on the choice because the Ruger is a good rifle and less expensive, but if I went the AR route I'd have a universe of aftermarket customization. Not to mention the satisfaction of putting together my own rifle (which could possible be negated by the fact that I am incredibly unhandy and that I may just end up with a cardboard box full of gun parts).

So, between the Mini-14 and AR, does one of have some drastic bonus over the other?

Thanks.

2. jason865

jason865 Guest

I would say the AR if you are building a target rifle. The modularity and aftermarket support alone make it so much more adaptable than the mini 14. Now, the mini 14 does have good aftermarket support, but not near what you have for ar's. Dont be afraid of building an ar, there are alot of great tutorials out there, and the rifles are amazingly simple to start with.

3. 1motion

1motion Guest

if you want to put a bunch of goodies on it i would go with the ar but if you want to save some money there is now a ruger mini 14 target model. i plan on building a mini 30 through the next year. here is a site with moa barrels and nice stock that uses ar type grips and butt stocks.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Also dont forget the AR-180B. best of both rifles in one package.

SW

5. I went through this dilemma a few years ago, Settled for neither and bought a Saiga 223, but ended up later buying an AR-15 as well.

Nothing compares to the modularity and ease of modifying and accurizing of the AR, except may the 10/22. On the same lower in less than 20 seconds you can have a carbine with combats sights or a varmint upper with optics. Not the cheapest way to go by any means, but more capable when it comes to the money spent IMO. Even though I still have my Saigas, I have not regretted going that way.

6. uncle jerky

uncle jerky Well-Known Member

I owned ONE AR, a High Standard flat top. I've owned TWO Ruger Mini 14s and currently own TWO Mini 30s, a new Ruger All Weather Synthetic/Stainless Mini 30 and a 1992 vintage beautiful wood and blue steel Mini 30. The stainless has 1 Ruger factory 5 round mag and a ProMag 10 stainless 10 rounder. The 1992 model Mini 30 has a factory 5 rounder and an aftermarket steel 25rounder. All of these mags are flawless in the guns,giving them adequate hi power capacity. I guess you can see where my loyalties are.

7. Ari

Ari Guest

What type of target shooting are you going to do? Are you going to shoot national match or something? Or are you just wanting a little range time?

8. I prefer the newer model Ruger Mini-14's over any AR platform in .223 because I like the look and feel of the Ruger and old M1/M14/Carbine styling better than that of the AR. I think if I were investing in a brand new system it would be a Springfield Armory M1A or possibly a Norinco M14 if I could find one at all.

9. browwiw

browwiw Member

Range time and personal enjoyment. Maybe some of the rinky-dink and friendly competitions they have at my local range, if I feel up to it. I'm not a competitive person. Sometimes I think I'm missing the "us against them" gene.

10. having owned and shot both, there is no comparison between the two- ar all the way

11. If I hadn't found this COLT HBAR at an estate sale for $500 I'd probably never of had an AR:

[​IMG]

But now I'm glad I have one....used to have a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch rifle but just didn't like it all that much.

12. Ari

Ari Guest

13. uncle jerky

The Target Minis are available in the Thumbhole stock Ari showed and also in Hogue overmolded stocks, that are more "traditional" in appearance. These guns can sell for just under $800 NIB from the right source/retailer and that's very competitive with any AR pricing. They come with Ruger rings, so all you need is a decent scope,tune it and the harmonic dampener, use quality factory ammo, and you are ready to meet any challenge from a tricked-out AR hot shot out there.

14. browwiw

browwiw Member

I'm actually thinking about a Kel-Tec, now.

15. uncle jerky

I understand that the Kel Tec 223 rifles have polymer receivers vs.some type of metal and subsequently, there is a strength & durability issue there.

16. Ari

Ari Guest

Do not forget the Saiga! Russian made AK in 223 for $259... Very good guns

17. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

there have been several occurences of KTs melting, breaking or otherwise damaging the reciver. I had personal expierence with a bushy carbon 15-a bad expierence. i dont buy rifles with plastic recivers now.

SW

18. Cappy

Cappy Guest

I almost had a mini 14. Did some shooting with it and turned to to have some bad mags. Checked on availability of some good ones and decided to go with an AR. Also got a Bushmaster in the deal. You're really limited with the mini 14 as compared to an AR or one of its cousins. I'm well pleased with both my AR & Bushmaster. Just wish ammo hadn't tripled in price.

19. Kagern

Kagern Guest

<Insert AR clone name here> all the way! *cough* Sturm-Ruger hates you. *cough* Well, only if you like 'high-capacity' magazines that 'responsible gun owners' have no right owning.

20. Cappy

Cappy Guest

Uh Yep! Funny how Ruger doesn't want us to have high capacity mags for our rifles but offers big mags for handguns. Go figure?????