Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kicking around the idea of buying an AR10. But I'm cheap. :(

I've been waffling between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor is the new hotness, has a more distance and energy at +300 yards, and shoots much flatter. OTOH, I very seldom (never?) shoot that far, .308 is vastly more available, and I've already got dies and components for .308 (for my boy's converted Mauser).

So as much as the 6.5 Creedmoor sounds neat, I think I've talked myself over to the .308 side of the argument. Now I just need to find one which is decent but won't shut down my cheapskate bone. ...and wins out against the 8 or 10 other competitors for "Kirk's new gun."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Ruger SFAR looks really intriguing.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
The Ruger SFAR looks really intriguing.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The price will hurt your heart....
POF makes a small form factor .308 as well. IIRC, it was POF...:unsure:

Get a .308. 6.5 CM is wonderful, but ammo costs are insane, and availability is still nil.

Build your own. Go light, the things get heavy fast. Unless you want a heavier gun that you shoot from a bench on a stand or the range.

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price will hurt your heart....
MSRP is a tad under $1300. I know that bare-bones AR10's (no sights, etc.) run about $950 or $1K. So all of them hurt my heart. :(

POF makes a small form factor .308 as well. IIRC, it was POF...:unsure:
I hadn't heard about it. But the MSRP is around $3K. Talk about hurting my heart! This is the big one Elizabeth!

Get a .308. 6.5 CM is wonderful, but ammo costs are insane, and availability is still nil.
I heard one reloader saying that the bullets themselves are less expensive.

Build your own. Go light, the things get heavy fast. Unless you want a heavier gun that you shoot from a bench on a stand or the range.
Thought about it. But I don't have the right tools, which means more cost, and, frankly, there's even less standardization on AR10's. The options and the myriad ways to buy the wrong parts and screw it up make my head swim.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Haha
Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
But I don't have the right tools, which means more cost, and, frankly, there's even less standardization on AR10's. The options and the myriad ways to buy the wrong parts and screw it up make my head swim.
You are overthinking it, and reading too many Interweb expurts opinions and buying the fearmongering.
Just pick the standard you want, and make sure everything fits it. There are really only three, and one is Armalite's, so that's a silly choice.

Tools? A pipe wrench and a vise are the only "special" tools you need. 🤣

It's HARD to screw it up, the only way to do it is to "overshop" and try to squeeze a few dollars out by buying some no name part that doesn't fit your standard.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts
Yeah, I did mine the hard way - because I can be cheap too. Depends how much i like something. I wanted a 308 semi-auto to have as part of the stable.

I built mine from the ground up, LR-308, not AR-10. Weird how certain parts do not interchange... anyway yes it works great, only hickup is it only seems to like the Hexamag LR-308 mags... does not like Magpul, will not strip the first round.

I know it is a BCG issue but once again, I am cheap if I am not totally invested in it. Easy fix would be to buy a better BCG. The BCG I have came with the Upper receiver at a discounted price during a Christmas sale or something... But with Hexamags feed reliable and its a tack driver up to 200 yards (farthest I have shot it at my range).

@ajole is right, they can get heavy fast!!! Go as light as you can if you do build. I went heavy but it is more of a range toy with bipod. This isn't a "run-n-gun" gun lol.

Get a smaller handguard, mid profile barrel but accuracy will suffer slightly (HB's add a good bit of weight) and a minimalist stock and forged over billet (which I am sure you already know). They have lightweight receivers but they cost a fortune...

Tools wise, you can buy a complete upper from BCA (Bear Creek), PSA or equivalent for about $500 and assemble your lower. Lower receiver, Aero LPK and buffer tube etc. won't break the bank and can be put together with common tools.

Barrel and Trigger are the items you don't want to chinse on. Trigger you could do a spit and shine and it will be more than serviceable though.

There are a few AR/LR 308 threads here I believe with lots of good info. I know at least Rach and myself have built 308's and I am sure there are others I am missing... but we can walk you through.

Or just buy one built lol

That is actually a pretty good price... did a search at PSA too - a lot of reasonable ones.

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
Tools wise, you can buy a complete upper from BCA (Bear Creek), PSA or equivalent for about $500
I bought a Noreen stripped upper, BCA barrel and a budget BCG/CH, gas block/tube, muzzle brake and handguard. Not more than $400. Hex barrel nuts on handguards make special tools a non-issue.
But you are right, if you can get an assembled upper with BCG and CH for $500 or less, that would be a good way to go. (y)

Barrel and Trigger are the items you don't want to chinse on.
Trigger: LaRue. Just got one for $105. Excellent.

·
Premium Member
9,427 Posts
Yeah, I did mine the hard way - because I can be cheap too. Depends how much i like something. I wanted a 308 semi-auto to have as part of the stable.

I built mine from the ground up, LR-308, not AR-10. Weird how certain parts do not interchange... anyway yes it works great, only hickup is it only seems to like the Hexamag LR-308 mags... does not like Magpul, will not strip the first round.

I know it is a BCG issue but once again, I am cheap if I am not totally invested in it. Easy fix would be to buy a better BCG. The BCG I have came with the Upper receiver at a discounted price during a Christmas sale or something... But with Hexamags feed reliable and its a tack driver up to 200 yards (farthest I have shot it at my range).

@ajole is right, they can get heavy fast!!! Go as light as you can if you do build. I went heavy but it is more of a range toy with bipod. This isn't a "run-n-gun" gun lol.

Get a smaller handguard, mid profile barrel but accuracy will suffer slightly (HB's add a good bit of weight) and a minimalist stock and forged over billet (which I am sure you already know). They have lightweight receivers but they cost a fortune...

Tools wise, you can buy a complete upper from BCA (Bear Creek), PSA or equivalent for about $500 and assemble your lower. Lower receiver, Aero LPK and buffer tube etc. won't break the bank and can be put together with common tools.

Barrel and Trigger are the items you don't want to chinse on. Trigger you could do a spit and shine and it will be more than serviceable though.

There are a few AR/LR 308 threads here I believe with lots of good info. I know at least Rach and myself have built 308's and I am sure there are others I am missing... but we can walk you through.

Or just buy one built lol

That is actually a pretty good price... did a search at PSA too - a lot of reasonable ones.

You beat me to the PSA suggestion. One of the nice things about that place is that you can order a complete upper with BCG and charging handle for a very reasonable price and then buy the completed lower when it's also on sale.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
You beat me to the PSA suggestion. One of the nice things about that place is that you can order a complete upper with BCG and charging handle for a very reasonable price and then buy the completed lower when it's also on sale.
I did that 1 and a half times. I bought a Gen2 lower. I waited and waited for a nitride upper to show up in stock. They never did. I got a Gen3 upper with an 18" stainless and an adjustable gas block. $599, the lower was $289 with a Magpul ACSL stock and grip. Then I got a Gen3 lower with the cheapo wobbly PSA stock for $219-$239.

The Gen2 needs to be modified some. The 3 is beveled going towards the buffer. The 2 gets banged by the back of the BCG and dents the cartridge cases on exiting. I talked to Josiah @ PSA he told me to send it in. I haven't and it's been a couple of years (lifetime warranty)

I bought a ballistic advantage nitride 16" want to put an A2 front sight and use a MagPul hand guard. I bought a Brownell's 16" at first that is phosphated. It has a quasi A2 already on it. Not going to use it.

AIM NIB BCG, Aero upper. I will probably bevel the G2 myself.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
This is the Gen3. It's a Sta Wars themed model. I added a $59.99 PSA NIB 2 stage trigger. 2.5lb final pull.
Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Nickel Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Wood Flooring Gas

Reactions: Rerun and Think1st

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,937 Posts
@lklawson
DO IT!!

I never did, but I did rule out the 6.5 because it's also "relatively" a barrel burner. But you (and me) would likely never burn one out. But I would burn one out if I were to gain the proficiency at the ranges I would want to try and use it for. Except there is MAYBE one public range in my AO or 3 at best, if one counts private places. My max shot length is 170yd here.
I think we have a similar rationale for a .308 and it's good to go.

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
@lklawson
DO IT!!

I never did, but I did rule out the 6.5 because it's also "relatively" a barrel burner. But you (and me) would likely never burn one out. But I would burn one out if I were to gain the proficiency at the ranges I would want to try and use it for. Except there is MAYBE one public range in my AO or 3 at best, if one counts private places. My max shot length is 170yd here.
I think we have a similar rationale for a .308 and it's good to go.
Terrible rationale.
The barrel is the LEAST expensive part of shooting the rounds required to burn one up.
You'll probably spend more on gas just setting to the range to shoot that much. 🤣

Reactions: Visper

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts
Definitely interesting. It says it's "lightweight" but they don't actually tell you how much it weighs. :(

Browsing now...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Durkin Tactical is having a big 308 upper sale - They make decent stuff - they are always at my local gunshow lol. They usually have decent prices.

They use mostly "Durkin Tactical" Barrels, yup actually says it on the barrel I have 1 or two... They are by no means Ballistic advantage or Rosco but they seems decent, at least in 223/556.

Anyway, an additional 20% of with code "September".

Reactions: ajole and lklawson

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Terrible rationale.
The barrel is the LEAST expensive part of shooting the rounds required to burn one up.
You'll probably spend more on gas just setting to the range to shoot that much. 🤣
I thought 6.5 x 49 Creedmoor was about five thousand rounds before the rifling gets really burned up if you are not rapid firing. Is this estimation wrong?

But in my own opinion I would go with .308 Winchester over 6.5 x 49 because .308 Winchester is much cheaper. 6.5 x 49 is a good long range round but I also do not see myself shooting beyond 400 to 500 yards.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I see you posted some pictures of your old firearms Tennessee. That must be one of the old guns you gave away to a homeless man on the side of the road in the past.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
I see you posted some pictures of your old firearms Tennessee. That must be one of the old guns you gave away to a homeless man on the side of the road in the past.
Lost it to one of my "Ex-wife Club Members."

·
Premium Member
26,435 Posts
I thought 6.5 x 49 Creedmoor was about five thousand rounds before the rifling gets really burned up if you are not rapid firing. Is this estimation wrong?

But in my own opinion I would go with .308 Winchester over 6.5 x 49 because .308 Winchester is much cheaper. 6.5 x 49 is a good long range round but I also do not see myself shooting beyond 400 to 500 yards.
You do know that .308 will do 1000y all day, right? 6.5 is better suited for it but X51 will still get you there. Think of it like an old pickup truck vs a purpose built track car. Just gotta learn how to stick the landing...

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
You do know that .308 will do 1000 yards all day, right? 6.5 is better suited for it but X51 will still get you there. Think of it like an old pickup truck vs a purpose built track car. Just gotta learn how to stick the landing...
I thought the maximum effective range of 7.62 x 51 was around 700 to 800 yards. So beyond 800 yards with 7.62 x 51 you need the right quality rifle with match grade ammo that uses 168 grain bullets I think.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts