Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,360 Posts
I thought the maximum effective range of 7.62 x 51 was around 700 to 800 yards. So beyond 800 yards with 7.62 x 51 you need the right quality rifle with match grade ammo that uses 168 grain bullets I think.
Personal experience dictates otherwise. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
36,948 Posts
I thought the maximum effective range of 7.62 x 51 was around 700 to 800 yards. So beyond 800 yards with 7.62 x 51 you need the right quality rifle with match grade ammo that uses 168 grain bullets I think.
Max effective range as determined by the military (or the interweb) has almost nothing to do with the range at which you can put rounds on target, nor their effectiveness at that range. The military number is based on the 1.5 to 2 MOA military weapon, the basic iron sights, the FMJ ammo, and the typical GI’s ability.

At 1000 yards, a 168 grain .308 still has over 600 ft lbs of punch, that’s about as much energy as a basic 10 mm at the muzzle. If you have a decent rifle and scope, and the skill to use them, you can be effective far past the military’s numbers.

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There are long-range shooters making hits out past 1,000 yards with the old war horse. It's not "the new hotness" for long range, apparently that's the 6.5 C, but it's still popular and (apparently) effective.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
22,271 Posts
Walmart sells cheap bolt guns with scopes sub $500 in this caliber.

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Walmart sells cheap bolt guns with scopes sub $500 in this caliber.
They don't sell ARs, which is what I'm interested in, and since they entered the Culture War on the other side, I avoid buying from them as much as I can anyway.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I built my 6.5 Creedmoor from the ground up. Even with sometimes deeply discounted prices on a few components, it has pushed the cost well over $1200. Looking forward to building another complete upper in 308. I’ll stick with using Aero Precision because I have had zero parts compatibility issues. BA barrel and Toolcraft BCG.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
26,360 Posts
As it sits with the A2 stock, just under $1,300 with 3 pmags, bipod, mount, bottom rail, telescope, throw ring, and cantilever mount. All Aero parts with a Toolcraft BCG, upgraded trigger, and a premium 24" barrel from BA. I also have a LuthAR MBA-1-3AX that isn't installed which cost $160 and still has the build under $1400 and gives me an excuse to build a second one around the A2 stock... 😆
Wood Shotgun Trigger Motor vehicle Sports equipment

(EDIT: And that's without any veteran's discounts. I waited for sales and free shipping promos.)

·
Premium Member
36,948 Posts
My SIL paid $400..? $450.....? for a stainless heavy barrel upper with Nikon scope. Spent another $450 on an Aero lower and parts, Larue trigger and bipod.

It shoots. It's HEAVY, but it shoots.

·
Premium Member
26,360 Posts
My SIL paid $400..? $450.....? for a stainless heavy barrel upper with Nikon scope. Spent another $450 on an Aero lower and parts, Larue trigger and bipod.

It shoots. It's HEAVY, but it shoots.
Yeah, I WAS at $900 until some jerk showed me a fancy lookin scope.

• Haha
Reactions: ajole
21 - 29 of 29 Posts