AR12 upper for a

Discussion in 'Non Hi-Point Classifieds' started by Dane, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    DPMS style AR10 lower $282 plus shipping
    GRABAGUN

[​IMG]

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Wish I had an AR10 just for that! :(

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

"Only uses RAS-12 ammo"

Deal breaker.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    $2 per round :p :p :p :p

5. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

for about $100 more, you can get one of those MKA 1919 complete ar-12

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I am reading it is reloadable , but I haven't found any of the parts yet.

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    No reload parts found yet, but ammo available for around $1 ea.

8. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I'll stick with my MKA. Birdshot, buckshot and slugs are all useable in the MKA with a little work.

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I'd kind of like to see the round really pick up in useage. There have been many new rounds that promised to be the next great thing but sort of fell off into obscurity. The .45 GAP and .357 Sig specifically come to mind. Sure, they exist, but they are far from prolific. If a broad range of LE agencies won't buy into a round, then it doesn't end up being popular for more than just a few people, and the cost stays high and supply stays low.

If some adventurous sheriff, chief or commandant decided to get some of these shotguns, it could potentially lead to an increase in availability and lower prices for the RAS-12 round.

10. for the lazy like me. What is special about there ammunition? and why will it not run others?

11. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Well, true that they could take off if purchased by various LE agencies, but from a financial and function standpoint, why not just stick with a Mossy/Remy with a long feed tube for about a third of the price?

The load is the same as a 12 ga., so no real improvement there. What they have done is gotten around the feed issues of trying to adapt a 12 ga. to an AR lower by creating a 12 ga. round with a "nose cone". The Turks took a different approach by slightly modifying the lower receiver of an AR to work with the old tried and true auto shotgun bolt and action. (They basically added a feed ramp to the lower.)

There are two or three of the AR style shotguns coming out of Turkey now, I could see these catching on quicker than a "new" shotgun round just to fit a standard AR lower.

I for one am impressed with the overall quality of the Turkish firearms, with a few exceptions.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  12. Think1st

Florida
    You're right that current shotgun shells are good enough when a platform is designed to accommodate them, but this new design facilitates more consistent reliability. Then again, you have to look at the more traditional shotgun designs out there, and see If this round would make them any better, too. There are still many people who are perfectly happy with a pump gun (me) or the single and double-barreled designs, none or which seem like they would be improved by this new round. So long as the round can't show an advantage over traditional ones in those other platforms, it faces some serious obstacles to future proliferation.

13. Think1st

Florida
    It has a rimless design and a thin plastic cap on the end to facilitate feeding. Just like traditional shells, they are polymer, also. The attached pictures show a cutaway view, as well as a comparison with a traditional shell.

Attached Files:

14. Thank you, Those look terrible to me.
    an interesting idea, but I bet the shells never get cheap unless someone big enough like the US army starts buying those uppers.

15. Think1st

Florida
    Yeah, I was figuring something similar to that. They are a neat concept, but they have to fill a broader need than traditional shells do in order to gain traction.

16. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    UPDATE: This would be nice to have if ammo was available and reasonably priced.
    Looks like neither will happen. The manufacture is belly up and is being sued by at least one of their distributors. Remington was mentioned as entering into a deal with manufacture. A message to Remington came back as nothing available for the RAS-12. Reloading parts sold out everywhere I checked. Ammo available for a while at least on gunbroker for around $1 ea. That won't last forever either in price or availability. Maybe starline would make brass one day , who knows.