Ar15 iron sight advice ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by JBall419, May 26, 2014.

1. JBall419

JBall419 Member

Ohio
    The flip up iron sights on my ar15 pictured worked great. Worked being the key word the back sight broke today, not totally surprised as I got the set on amazon for $25 ish. I did really like them though, can anyone recommend a good set of flip up sights ? The front sight had to be made for the lower gas block rail though like this one was. I would get another set of these but since it didn't last through much use I better get something durable.

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1401159198.380779.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. JBall419

JBall419 Member

Ohio
    Not really wanting magpul sights either & they don't have to be flip up sights either. I just need something durable that are accurate.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

how did they break? did you snag them on something? drop the gun? were they really ''not reliable'' or did something happen to them that would have caused them to break?

i snapped a top rail on my HP carbine, but, i wouldnt say ''the gun in unreliable'' as i snagged the then mounted scope on something and pulled, cracking the rail.

if you liked these, why not just get another set, depending on how they broke of course.

4. JBall419

JBall419 Member

Ohio

I'm not sure how it broke last I knew it was fine. I got to range today pulled it out of the hard case and went to flip it up and the weld broke on the sight and it came out of the housing.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

just a guess, but, id have to say you likely banged it, either in the case, or putting away/taking it out at some point in order to have busted a weld. you may want to contact the company, or seller, they may simply replace it for you. worth checking in to at least.

6. JBall419

JBall419 Member

Ohio

I might have , and contacting the seller is worth a shot I guess. I have another set on my other ar and they are fine , but there also not as old.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  8. JBall419

JBall419 Member

Ohio
  9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, I figured that's why you said "weld". Though technically, plastic can be welded too, I guess.

But the cheap $25 sights are probably too cheap. I'm a cheap fella too, but sometimes a few more bucks buys better stuff, and is worth it.;)

10. JBall419

JBall419 Member

Ohio

Yea , I don't much like the magpul sights though my buddy has em. Have you ever used Troy sights?

11. desertrider

desertrider Member

At the risk of sounding like an elitist snob, saving money by buying low grade components can result in costing you more in the long run.

Sources like Amazon and ebay are littered with knock-offs that are attractively priced, but maybe not made with the same materials, craftsmanship, or tolerances. This can result in products that will look like originals, but not be as durable, reliable, or function as well as the real deal.

I've had good luck with A.R.M.S., Troy, and Magpul.

I noticed you mentioned you didn't want Magpul, but the Pros are all steel and much more compact than the Gen II MBUS.

[​IMG]