Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest son is going to be 11 next month and is wanting a bow and arrow set to learn archery with. We know C&R guns but know virtually nothing about bows. I would like some advice on what would be a good starter bow for him, we've been searching but the choices are larger than I thought. He is a strong kid and shoots Mosin carbines with ease so a smnall kids bow probably wouldn't be for him.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Kripp, just north of you in Clt, there is a place on South Blvd called Barefoot Archery, best archery shop in the area (that's not totally oriented toward hunters) they will set you up with something perfect for the little fella. I went there when I was 8 for my first bow, been going back ever since.

http://www.barefootarchery.com/

Apologies if this sounded like an advertisement!

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
there's all kind of options I'd look at the bear line though not that much $ and pretty accurate. I don't know what hi draw weight capabilities are but I'd try to get something he can pull at the low end then you'll have some adjustment in draw weight. I suggest a less costly bear especially to start because at 11 if he turns out liking archery he'll need to move up to a bigger bow. Make sure you get him a decent armguard or the first time he string slaps his arm he may not want to continue :D It hurts...trust me.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Another line of archery equipment to look into is Parker. I bought my Parker about 4 years ago as a get me started bow and it's awesome. They have youth bows as well as bows that you can adjust the draw length and weight of pull. With mine, I am shooting a 400 grain arrow at 300 FPS on a 60 pound draw, so that's pretty impressive. If you're going to go compound, make sure you get good carbon fiber arrows. Wooden or aluminum arrows really aren't strong enough to handle the acceleration of release on most modern compound bows.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hey Krippp, just my 2 cents but... unless you know for sure this is something he will truly follow through with, be careful not to dump a ton of money into a "custom bow" I know this from experience I have a $500.00 PSE bow custom set for my son that collects dust.
They shop I bought from took advantage of my limited knowledge and after talking with friends I could have gotten away a couple of hundred cheaper

Jet

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jet650, that is one reason tha I am asking for advice on this. I have a slew of musical instruments and other gear that my 2 daughters "just had to have" sitting around getting no use. I learned the hard way on my 1st 2 kids. That is just like his first rifle, a Mossberg 702 Plinkster, the deal was if he still liked shooting in a year and took care of the gun then he would upgrade and get different and more powerful firearms. He now has his very own CZ52, Spanish Mauser in 7mm and a Turkish Mauser in 8mm, and the Plinkster is still firing perfectly. I think you can tell from my youtube page, he still enjoys shooting more than ever now. Just hoping that he gets into archery heavily cause that will give me another excuse to add more weapons to my arsenal also.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Another line of archery equipment to look into is Parker. I bought my Parker about 4 years ago as a get me started bow and it's awesome. They have youth bows as well as bows that you can adjust the draw length and weight of pull.
+2

I love my Parker, they are a quality bow that will not break the bank. I grew up shooting Hoyt's but got tired of the killer price when I upgraded, I'll never shoot anything but Parker again.

If you get to Barefoots have him try this one out,
http://www.parkerbows.com/pb/2007/compounds.html?action=detail&detailsku=1019

Just avoid the chain stores, nice for components but that's about it.

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
Hey Kripp, have you looked into some archery clubs in your area? Sometimes you can get in touch with someone there who can show you both the ropes and maybe try out some different equipment.

I have shot archery all my life. I started out with an old basic Bear fiberglass recurve. No sights so I learned to become one with the equipment. I also learned to make my own arrows and strings. I still shoot an old Darton Magnum take down recurve for target and my Darton Maverick Compound for hunting.

I have heard good things about the Bear equipment. They have a couple of youth bows that literally grow with the shooter. They have numerous adjustments so as the shooter grows the equipment grows with them.

If ya'll were closer I know a few people who could set you up. If you don't want to drop a lot of $$ then just get one of the basic youth bows at Walmart. They are just over $100 so your not out much if he doesn't take to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts