Are all DAO the same?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bluharley, Nov 9, 2014.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

I think I'm going to get rid of my BG for a 9mm. Are all DAO triggers like the BG, as in such a long pull? I see DAO striker fired, does that matter? I like the size and weight of the BG, but 9mm ammo is much cheaper, and I really don't like the trigger. Any suggestions?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    DAO isn't always the same, which is why so many are confused. Many MANY DAO named semis have very nice triggers.

Personally, I want an action that let's me try again if a bullet doesn't go off. CZ makes one that runs double action, then single action, but can also be cocked and locked like traditional single action semi guns.

However...I have no issue with actions that don't. Glock, XD, M&P and many other very reliable guns require a tap/rack/bang response to misfires, as they are basically single action, even though many of them (not the XD) are called double action due to the trigger being required to cock, or at least finish cocking, the striker or hammer.

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

I do like that part.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Some people don't, they say you are wasting time on a dud or a misfeed when you should be tap/rack/banging, and there is a point to that.

On the other hand, I can squeeze again in a few milliseconds, then do the TRB, and be good to go.

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

Last time at the range with those Tula, the first dud I ejected, then figured I'd pull again. Worked every time, which was quite a few. And if I'm in a struggle, I most likely won't have two hands to reload.

6. Kiln

Kiln Member

The first of your post follows my school of thought. Personally, if the round fails to fire during a SD situation, I want it out of my gun. It is unlikely, although possible, that the second trigger pull before performing the tap/rack could be just long enough to get you shot or stabbed.

Truth be told though, ever needing to deploy your gun against a person is unlikely so hopefully it never matters for any of us.

On topic:

Some DAO triggers are terrible while others are pretty good. You should try dry firing a few before making a choice if possible. For instance the DAO trigger on a P11 is gritty and heavy while the DAO pull on a TCP is amazingly smooth and surprisingly light.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. bluharley

bluharley Member

But are they all as long as the BG? I stopped at a Pawn shop and the guy behind the counter said they are all like that. I understand the purpose of the long pull on a carry gun, you don't want it catching on your pocket and shooting yourself, I get that. But is there another carry option? In a struggle, I would much rather be able to just pull the trigger again and hope for the best, rather than get creamed while I'm trying to rack another load it, I expect I would be dead before I got a chance to do that. At first, I wanted a no safety gun, but now that I see what that means, I'm thinking again. I wonder if there is a middle ground?

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There are the DA/SA with a decocker like Sig, H&K, Walther, and CZ make. There are types that have no additional safety beyond the longer DA trigger on the first round, and some that are a safety that decocks, then requires taking the safety off to shoot, and then some that let you choose. Most are hammer guns, not strikers.

Many of them have a "better" DA trigger than some DAO guns.

I REALLY like decockers.

:eek:

That really sounds bad, hangin' out there all by itself like that.:rolleyes:

9. bluharley

bluharley Member

Decocker sounds better than a cocker! So a decocker, you have to pull the hammer back to fire?

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No, the decocker lowers the hammer, putting you in double action mode, meaning you just pull the trigger to cock the hammer and fire.

Some of them also require you to flip off the safety prior to the DA trigger pull.

The Makarov let's you put the gun on safe, automatically decocking it. You can leave it on safe, then flip the safety and pull the trigger to fire, or you can flip the safety off, put it in the holster, and just draw and squeeze to shoot.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  11. bluharley

bluharley Member

I like the idea, I'll have to check one out. Taurus make some affordable gun, but they're heavy.

12. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

My P95 has a decocker. The DA is a hard pull (about 12 lbs).

13. I've had some trigger time on a P95DC, the DA isn't too bad but overall the thing has a funky trigger, it doesn't inspire confidence, especially in a gun that was widely used among LE. Overall a good gun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

14. Kiln

Kiln Member

The DAO trigger on the Taurus TCP is probably the best I've ever felt compared to other similar sized guns but doesn't allow second strike. It also feels shorter than most others like the LCP or P11. It's even better than the KT PF9.

If second strike is a primary concern a SA/DA pistol is probably your best bet. Hammer fired if I was going that route.

15. The first gen Ruger LCP trigger was nothing short of awful, the newer ones have much better sights and triggers, making them an awesome little gun. The only DA trigger I've fired that is worse is the M1895 Nagant revolver, you need a winch on your truck to fire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

16. TopGas

TopGas Member

Both the pistols in the Taurus SLIM series (the pt709 and the PT740) function this way. Quoting directly from the Taurus Slim series manual-
    "The Taurus Slim Pistols have a striker firing mechanism. It normally
    operates as a conventional Single Action system e.g. every time the slide
    cycles it pre-cocks the firing pin.
    If an ammunition failure occurs and a misfire happens, the system
    automatically goes to a double action condition allowing you to fire again
    by pulling the trigger (double action), with no need to cycle the slide
    manually."

Of course if the ammo malfunction doesn't resolve with the 2nd or maybe 3rd strike, it's time to resort to the "tap,rack,,bang" mode.
    TG