Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking with a long-time good friend and custom ammo builder, gun collector and former dealer the other day and he said he felt the HP's were dangerous to carry with a round in the chamber even with the slide safety on because the firing pin is against the primer. Now I have researched this and one writer explained: "Hi-Point pistols are striker-fired and utilize a single-action trigger mechanism. A thumb safety on the left side of the frame blocks the sear when engaged. To provide additional protection, the design includes a spring-loaded sear block (drop safety) that falls under the sear pin arm and prevents sear movement if the pistol is dropped while a weight counteracts sear movement."

This would lead me to believe that HP's are safe to carry with a round chambered. My normal habit is to not have a round chambered or under the hammer on a revolver. My friend says this makes the gun a paperweight. Does anyone care to comment?

Also, here is a site that graphically explains a striker fired mechanism: http://www.genitron.com/glock23/intglock.html

Thanks - looking forward to those who have owned HP's longer than I have. (40 cal and 380 currently since Dec)
BC

·
Registered
762 Posts
I carried my JHP 45 around with me for a couple years, one in the chamber, never had an issue. They are drop safe and that striker isn't going anywhere until the sear gets out of the way. The only way that's happening is if the safety is off and the boom switch is pressed (on a good condition pistol...start messing with things, and you take on all liability for what happens).

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
NOTE the fireing pin isn't against the primer it's actually a good distance away until the boom switch is pressed.... I carry with mine locked and loaded and have never had an issue. But I will say don't fool around with the sear spring or the sear itself!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts