Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been told that i need to get some night sights. Do i really need them are they that important? sorry if this is in the wrong places.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
My main carry pistol has them, and they are very useful in low light. They are of no help in darkness. I think they are worth what they cost.

They don't help you see your target, but they do make evident where your sights are-so targeting is improved. In darkness you can't (by definition) see your target, so you've just got glowing sights in the darkness.

The tritium sights are best because they don't need to be charged. It's cool to open your safe and have those dots glow in there. The 'glow in the dark' paint and other such (nitesiters.com is probably most common) need to be 'charged' by being in light and only glow for a limited time which varies by product. I've not had much real success with these but others have been satisfied. YMMV-as always.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got tritium on my Kimber, which is very nice. Bright, and never has to be charged. I have nitesiters on my other guns, which work good, as long as you don't mind carrying a UV light with you and charging them for 5 seconds before you need to use your gun......they were ok for 10 bucks, but they aren't really a tactically viable solution. When you need your sights, you need them now.......

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
didn't have them on my main carry gun, a S&W Sigma SW40VE, but after a trip to the factory for repair, my gun came back with them as a "sorry it broke" present. now i see what i was missing, literally, they are great in low light sight acquisition and imho are worth the money.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
you can check out nitesiters.com for a much cheaper option.

I have them on a couple pistols, they work well (I did have to use crazyglue to get them to stick properly)

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I had a chance to shoot at a police range and they simulated a night shoot with just the overheads on a police car going and a static silhouette target. when they turned the lights back on, most people didn't hit their target much. i was able to land most of my rounds on target.

I'm a believer since most self defense shootings occur at night, any advantage you have helps. A flashlight is good as well but I don't always carry mine with me.

It's been said it's only good for the first shot since after that, you might lose your low light vision due to the muzzle flash but at point, you're adrenaline is probably pumping so far you won't see your sights. That's where the drills of shooting instinctively come in.

Remember, the bad guy chooses the victim and time. You can't go around in the ready position, you'll almost always be in a reactive mode. It comes down to training. Muscle memory helps a lot where you can point and shoot.

My 2 cents.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
If you practice enough, you know where your rounds are going just by holding the pistol. unless im shooting for pinpoint accuracy on a target, i focus on the target and let the pistol naturally follow. It works for me but i probalby shoot 10,000 rounds a year from handguns.

SW

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
+1 SW

I have trained after dark and had no problem hitting center mass on a slightly lit silhouette target when I am shooting from a pitch black training room. Couldn't see my sights at all.....

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
IMHO, in the case of a reactive after dark scenario,
you are going to only have time and opportunity to rely on directing the muzzle of the weapon towards center mass of the target.
Target acquisition is point and shoot. Muzzle flash will blind you temporarily.
I have fired at night. It WILL blind you.
We aren't talking about range shooting. You cannot afford to take the time to worry about sighting in your target anyway.
If you practice, you will become conscious of where the muzzle is without using the sights. Two ways to shoot a pistol; With the sights, and with the muzzle direction. both have merit in the right situation.
No it isn't as accurate as shooting at targets. But targets will not be potentially rushing you with the intent on doing harm, in the dark no less.
Remember, you may barely be able to see your target.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I like them. Make shooting in low-light conditions MUCH easier IMO. Some people don't like them, though, so try them before you buy them. I've loved the combination fiber-optic/night sights I've seen, but haven't had extensive enough experience with them to give an opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I carry a Surefire light with me religiously (now, upgraded to a G3 LED), and use it, even to check something innocent out. I have, shot my 1911 and the light, just so I could feel ok with the whole grip/angle of both. I need more practice with that particular grip.
I concur with SW, about being comfortable enough with your handgun, that you instinctivly know where you are hitting. I need more practice

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I've got them on my Glock 22 and 32, but honestly, if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't. You probably won't be looking at them anyway in a life or death situation. The previous statement may be open to debate, but I'll tell you what isn't: if it's too dark to see the sights a few feet in front of you, it's probably too dark to see what you're shooting at clearly. Your sights are closer to your eyes than an opponent that is 7 or so feet away. If you can't see your target, don't shoot!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have heard someone talk about a "GHOST SIGHT".
Is anyone familiar with this? Is this a Peep Sight? Will it fit the C9?

My eyes are getting a little too old to see the sights that came with my C9 very good; and thats in the daylight!

In a semi darkend room; late evening, or very early morning, it is real hard to see those factory sights. Any suggestions?

I testified against some big mean ugly woman (I think it's a woman) that was dealing drugs to kids across the street from my house. She got 17 years in prison. She is out and living across the street from me again; and only 4 years have passed. what the hell happened to the other 13 years??? Our system is in bad shape!
Anyway trouble is coming my way for sure!
So I need to know about a sight for tired old eyes; I am an excellent shot; but my eyes need help.
I need a real experts opinion for sights on my C9. The sights on my S&W 586 in 357 are ok; not great but ok. But the C9 conceals better.

One last thing; I cant run at all, I am handicaped with Rhuematoid Arthritis in the knees pretty bad. My local PD has 6 guys; nice guys but only 6 and a big area to cover. Chances are they will be a long time coming. And I doubt it will happen at home anyway. You know how its gonna happen.
Ken

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good luck with that Woodsman. The ghost ring sight comes with the new C9s as an optional sight. It is, I guess a "peep" sight but I would stick with the 3 dots for quicker target aquisistion IMO. Maybe try some neon green or orange fingernail polish and apply it to you dots on your sights with a toothpick.Or try Nitesighters glow paint, but this you have to "charge" for a few seconds in real light. Hold down your castle!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts