Are some gun shops idiots?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ajole, Dec 8, 2015.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A fellow teacher knows I collect and play with guns, so she tells me her son's .22 needs some work, and asks if I can look at it. The kid is a freshman, plays football for me.

Sure, I'll look at it, what's wrong?

The thing that loads bullets is messed up, she says.

So, I'm thinking its dirty, won't feed right, whatever...I can probably clean it up, and they'll be happy, or it will be really broken, and I'll get some cheap parts gun or something.:rolleyes:

So, I take it home last night, it's a 10/22, the mag release is busted, and the mag won't come out. Just so happens...I have a spare trigger module, so I take off the stock, 3 pins almost fall out to drop the trigger module and swap out the release, re-assemble, and the kid's guns works just fine. 5 minutes, easy peasy. Took it at lunch out to the range, drop mag, load up, insert, popped off 10 rounds, 4 slow, 3 fast doubles, drop mag, load 5 more, mag dump...all good. Shoots high right for me with OEM irons, but that's not what I'm worried about.

Tell her I got it fixed, it'll cost me $20 to replace the part that I used, she says, "Really? You could fix it? REALLY?:eek:"

Her sister had taken it to some gunsmith somewhere, he said he couldn't fix the gun, so she was ready to write it off and spend $250+ for another one.:rolleyes:

Happy mom, happy kid, let me tell you.:p

Oh, at the range, I also sighted in the newly scoped Mossberg 702 Plinskter thumbhole tip down I had bought for $80. $30 Tasco 3-9 Pronghorn. Dead nuts accurate, 5 shots in a 1/2 inch once I got the scope zeroed, and that's shooting over the hood with bulk ammo.

Shot the Rascal as well. I wish the aperture was smaller, and the adjustments are crude, but I got it into the bullseye. I already have the rail mounts for it, they block the irons, so it's either/or with this one. I'm thinking I need to find a small low profile scope for it, the trigger is really, really good, and that's with only 10 shots through it After it and the barrel break in a bit, it might be crazy accurate. Funny thing, with the short barrel, it's really loud compared to most of my .22 rifles, and it's so light, it actually recoils!:rofl:

Not as in "it hits you", but it does have some muzzle flip, I'm used to seeing the hole appear, but with this one, that doesn't happen, the barrel is up in your sight picture.:p

2. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, something along those lines.
    I want something that can adjust for parallax, and focus and aim down to at least 10 yards. Some of the cheaper one's can't.

4. Grant

Grant Member

Yes some gun shops are idiots. This one sounds worse and if they can't fix a problem like that I wouldn't trust them with anything.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Prolly just a little smaller than my Dad's old Savage boltie :D
    That one is a sweet shooter, too! Very similar

6. I dont believe your story, No way the beloved RUGER 10/22 would break. had to be the Plinkster you were talking about.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Maybe wanted to sell her another one, instead...
    So worse than stupid, they might have been Crooked! :mad:

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

yes and we'll dispose of your old gun properly by swapping out the part and then selling that one at a very hefty profit.

fix a lot of computers for people who have been told by one shop or another its junk get a new one.

9. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Quite a few LGS are idiots or have a few idiots working there at times.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's what I was thinking...:p

Me too.:p

The trick is, as a business it is easy to rationalize, you can nickle and dime the old box and STILL have an unhappy customer, as each next part dies, while risking the loss of data and revenue or "priceless" stuff that no one backs up right, or you can save yourself time and money and make them happy with a completely new box...while also making more money, and "sort of" saving them money and time and loss over the long run.:rolleyes:

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Guy is a crook. Lots of asshats like to cheat women. Most of the people I do work for think I under charge and try to give E more money. They can't understand that it's more therapy for me than making a buck.

12. lsi1

lsi1 Member

thats not true those guys give E more money so that she thinks that they have more money than you hoping she'll leave you for them.

13. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

LMAO, how true, how true. LMAO

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

HHAAAhahahahhaaa!:rofl:

Now THAT'S funny!

I do the same as Moonz, I'm not making money...I'm not losing money, either, but I'm not paying overhead, I charge parts cost plus a 6 pack, and that is good enough for me.

Of course, my 6 pack is Mt Dew, or some rootbeer...:p

15. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I do the same but my 6 pack usually isn't mtn dew or root beer.

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Guy went to the big gun shop in the town near me that I never step foot in because they are total idiots. Brought in his 870 express because it was jamming when he pumped it(stovepiping the empty). They told him it was totally worn out and he needs a new shotgun, oh and he has to get this Benelli autoloader for $1200.

Guy asked fo rhis gun back and showed up in the LGS I hang out in once in awhile. I was behind the counter because the owner was sighting in a rifle for another customer so I told him to hang on for 15 minutes and he would be in and look at it.

I took a quick look and the ejector spring was broken. I told him that it looked minor but the owner needs to be the one to decide. Owner came in and I told him what it was doing and that I noticed the ejector spring was broken and the ejector looked worn. He told the guy 20 minutes, and about $35 to fix it. As he signed it in I broke it down and had the bad parts out, dropped it in the ultrasonic cleaner to get 20 years of crud and old grease off.

Owner popped in the new parts, said lets go test it and grabbed a box of the cheap trap loads he keeps for that purpose. Gun ran like new and the owner told him the story of the other store. We just laughed and told him to never go in there they are total idiots who know nothing. None of them are even a gunsmith!

17. moona11

They charge $75 to clean a gun I charge $35 for a pistol and $45 for long gun. $55 for a AR. That includes a total inspection and function check with a certified factory armor. Plus I sell oil, cleaner and grease combo for $45 with free refills. Parts are for cost and labor for blueing is $120. Which is cheap.

18. Fracman

Fracman Member

Hot or cold blueing?

19. moona11

Cold. Hot bluing is to expensive to have all the chemicals and baths set up. Plus you really need a dedicated room just for it.

20. Fracman

Fracman Member

There is nothing like a good hot blueing job