Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a value shopper. I prefer to own a lot of economy guns and rifles... rather then a few expensive one. I am very happy with my highpoint 995 and plan to buy every gun Hi-Point makes.

Does anyone know if there are any other brands that are comparable in price. Specifically, I am looking for Rifles and shotguns in the $150 to $300 range, and pistols in the $130 to $200 range.

Does anyone know who makes the cheapest 1911?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A couple lower-priced weapons off the top of my head would be Jimenez and Rossi. Many of these surplus WW2 weapons can be had inexpensively as well, like the Nagant rifles and pistols.

There're cheap 1911's out there, but man, don't do it. When you go for a 1911, don't skimp; save your money and get the model you'll love (Rock River, Auto Ordanance, maybe even a Taurus.)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Rossi makes a Damn fine revolver, with a decent trigger. Bersa makes a nice auto too if you can find ammo. There aren't many deals out there like a Hi-point, a go-boom-evertime gun that's cheap are hard to find.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Single shot rifles and shotguns from Rossi and H&R would be the best value and the reviews on them have been pretty good. For revolvers its Heritage single actions. Rock Island is supposed to be a great low priced 1911 but I've never considered 350 plus a starter platform for anything since I'm a budget minded shooter too. X

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sccy makes a nice 9mm for around $200 .. It weighs just 15oz and comes with 2 10rd magazines and a child lock . Also has lifetime warranty .

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Look for a FEG PA-63 they can be had for well under $200. I paid too much for mine and I still think it was worth it.
I think the PA 63 is a good choice for a carry gun. You may get a kick out of this:
My son, who lives in AZ, had to do some class for his security guard paperwork (I didn't ask for details). As part of the class everyone had to shoot; it didn't sound like their was much in the way of having to qualify for anyting more than being able to shoot and hit a target. My son decided to use his PA63 because he had plenty of ammo for it. Four of the 'mall ninja' types had Glocks and kept bragging about them in class and running down every one else's choice, especially the lowly FEG and the guy who showed up with his Single-Six. On the range, the 9x18 shot fine with no problems. My son laughs that all four Glocks had a problem--2 stove pipes, and 2 ftf. Interestingly they were all .40s; I've never heard of any problem with a Glock that wasn't a .40--I don't know if only the .40s have problems or not because I don't pay much attention to them. I do know Glocks have a reputation for reliability and durability.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
the biggest problem with glock 40s is they packed a 10mm round into a 9mm frame. they had ot cut corners (literally) to make it fit and thusly you have issues.

SW
So, is that why it seems I only hear of problems with Glocks when they're .40s? When I've looked at them, I've only considered buying a 36 or 39 for a carry pistol. I just don't much like the grip on them, and I've only fired one--a full size 9mm -a 17??? If I were to buy one of the little single-stacks, I think I'd stick with .45 acp and avoid .45 gap.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Look for a FEG PA-63 they can be had for well under $200. I paid too much for mine and I still think it was worth it.
I've been thinking about getting one of those....I have a shit-ton of 9x18mm. Like 2000 rounds or something, two large .50BMG ammo cans full.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Kel Tec has a large selection of reasonably priced guns, some of the milsurps (FEG, PA-63, Toks, SKS, MN 91/30 & M44), there are several cheap Chinese shotguns that have recently hit the market as well (no experience with them).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts