Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Savage Axis in .308. I'm finding 7.62X51 primed brass in the LGS. Without getting into micro-minutia, am I gonna kill myself using the 7.62 brass? I can't find any dimensional differences, but I've always shot Winchester or Federal commercial brass. greg, Rach, the rest of you more experienced loaders - enlighten me.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
Yes, you can shoot 7.62x51 nato in the 308 Winchester. IIRC the 7.62x51 is 50K cup, the 308 Win is 62K psi. This equates to about 8 or 9K difference between the 2 rounds. The 7.62x51 being the lower pressure cartridge. The recommendation is just the opposite of the 5.56 / 223 debate.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
As long as you aren't chambered for a 7.52 Cetme ;) @greg_r , weren't some Spanish Mausers rechambered for the CETME low pressure rounds?
I would not worry any about the 7.62x51 CETME in the Savage Axis 308. It would not be an issue.

I did a lot of research on the 7.62x51 CETME when I bought my 7.62 Guardian Civil Spanish Mauser and I am confident that my deductions are accurate. Do your own research please and verify my conclusions.

The Model A CETME rifle was indeed chambered for the 7.62x51 CETME cartridge. The idea was to have more controllable full automatic fire. The 7.62x51 CETME round used a 113 grain plastic core bullet with a reduced powder charge. The Model B CETME came out a year later. it was chambered for the 7.62x51 NATO. Seems that the Spaniards had decided to abandon the CETME cartridge.

My next question was the Guardia Civil, FR7, and FR8 rifles. As they are marked only 7.62, what were they chambered for? I am convinced they were chambered for the 7.62x51 NATO. Still, I am not comfortable shooting either the Civil Guardia or the FR7 with 7.62x51 NATO and definitely would never chamber a 308 Winchester in any of those 2 rifles. Due to not having the safety locking lug at the rear of the bolt. I am comfortable shooting 7.62x51 NATO in my FR8, but not 308 Winchester.

My 7.62 loads are loaded to 300 savage pressures. Basically 150 grain bullets at 2600 FPS. These are really what I shoot in all my Spanish 7.62 rifles as well as my H&R Survivor and Ruger Scout.

Of course to @histed this is probably moot, as he has no worries with either the CETME, NATO, or Winchester versions!

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, you can shoot 7.62x51 nato in the 308 Winchester. IIRC the 7.62x51 is 50K cup, the 308 Win is 62K psi. This equates to about 8 or 9K difference between the 2 rounds. The 7.62x51 being the lower pressure cartridge. The recommendation is just the opposite of the 5.56 223 debate.
Much thanks. I thought I was OK, however... In almost 40 years of reloading I've had only 1 bad experience. Not looking for #2. As for the CETME - it may be moot for my concerns, but it is interesting and educational

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
36,163 Posts
You are reloading it. You can make it any pressure you want, so to actually answer the original question...yes. That brass will work in both a .308, or a 7.62x51 weapon, as long as you follow the proper loads and loading practices for any new load with different components.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
You are reloading it. You can make it any pressure you want, so to actually answer the original question...yes. That brass will work in both a .308, or a 7.62x51 weapon, as long as you follow the proper loads and loading practices for any new load with different components.
I did answer it, in post #2.

in post #5 I was responding to @CamoDeafie

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
So basically; if its labeled and chambered .308 winchester, it'll shoot just about all the .308 Winchester loads, 7.62x51 NATO loads and the 7.62x51 CETME loads, correct? The Spanish Mausers may shoot 7.62x51 NATO, and definitely 7.62x51 CETME loads, and not .308 Winchester loads?

.308 brass and 7.62 brass should in theory work just fine for reloading, yes?

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically; if its labeled and chambered .308 winchester, it'll shoot just about all the .308 Winchester loads, 7.62x51 NATO loads and the 7.62x51 CETME loads, correct? The Spanish Mausers may shoot 7.62x51 NATO, and definitely 7.62x51 CETME loads, and not .308 Winchester loads?

The short answer to both questions is yes, as I'm reading this the same as you. I THOUGHT the brass was interchangeable, just like 5.56 and .223. However, I have learned that, unlike the 5.56 AMMO being POSSIBLY unsafe to use in a .223 rifle, here the .308 is the higher pressure in factory loads. @ajole and @greg_r are correct - I am loading the brass, so, as long as I don't go animalistic and load planet-killers, I'll be fine. Which eases my quest for primers, at least a little.
Long live the Republic!

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts

In a nutshell, yes.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
The short answer to both questions is yes, as I'm reading this the same as you. I THOUGHT the brass was interchangeable, just like 5.56 and .223. However, I have learned that, unlike the 5.56 AMMO being POSSIBLY unsafe to use in a .223 rifle, here the .308 is the higher pressure in factory loads. @ajole and @greg_r are correct - I am loading the brass, so, as long as I don't go animalistic and load planet-killers, I'll be fine. Which eases my quest for primers, at least a little.
View attachment 73575 Long live the Republic!
Some say that the Nato brass is thicker. I dont really know as all i have ever bought is the NATO stuff. Most of it the stuff that was fired out of machine guns.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some say that the Nato brass is thicker. I dont really know as all i have ever bought is the NATO stuff. Most of it the stuff that was fired out of machine guns.
Is that marked LC? If it is, I have some I've never reloaded. Taking the crimp out of the primer pockets is just a pain.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
Is that marked LC? If it is, I have some I've never reloaded. Taking the crimp out of the primer pockets is just a pain.
Some is, there are other headstamps as well. I buy it 1000 at a time. Been a while since I bought any. maybe 2 years or so. It can be a job to process.

Reactions: histed

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some is, there are other headstamps as well. I buy it 1000 at a time. Been a while since I bought any. maybe 2 years or so. It can be a job to process.
I got into a batch of 5.56 a while back. Stopped trying to deprime with the sizer and bought a Lee depriming die. Even there I bent one capping pin. I also made the mistake of decrimping with a utility and/or pocketknife. Ended up trading most of it for Federal and Remington brass. If I do end up with this 7.62 AND they are crimped as I suspect, I'll send you the empties

·
Premium Member
36,163 Posts
I did answer it, in post #2.
No, you didn’t. He said “I'm finding 7.62X51 primed brass in the LGS.” Then he asked “...am I gonna kill myself using the 7.62 brass?”

You said “Yes, you can shoot 7.62x51 nato in the 308 Winchester.”

He didn’t ask if he could shoot NATO spec ammo. He asked if he could use the NATO spec brass to make .308 ammo.

Simple answer...yep.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
No, you didn’t. He said “I'm finding 7.62X51 primed brass in the LGS.” Then he asked “...am I gonna kill myself using the 7.62 brass?”

You said “Yes, you can shoot 7.62x51 nato in the 308 Winchester.”

He didn’t ask if he could shoot NATO spec ammo. He asked if he could use the NATO spec brass to make .308 ammo.

Simple answer...yep.
Get real.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I got into a batch of 5.56 a while back. Stopped trying to deprime with the sizer and bought a Lee depriming die. Even there I bent one capping pin. I also made the mistake of decrimping with a utility and/or pocketknife. Ended up trading most of it for Federal and Remington brass. If I do end up with this 7.62 AND they are crimped as I suspect, I'll send you the empties
I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
36,163 Posts
Get real.
That was real. He didn’t need to know what shoots in what gun. He needed to know if he could make .308 cartridges using NATO brass.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts