Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I showed the spousal unit the Bond Arms derringer I just bought. She asked another of those questions that spousal units have that unique ability to ask. "Is that another one you are going to put in the safe and take it out twice a year to rub on it, or are you actually going to use it?"

Fair question I think. Of course I will use the Bond Arms. It is one of their budget guns. But it immediately made me think of my Armscor/RIA firearms I traded off for a couple of Rutgers. I traded off my M206 and M200 38 Spl revolvers and my 1911 GI model FS and CS 45’s for the Rugers. Had to throw in a couple dollars cash for them as well. I am generally happy with the swap, and am very happy with My SP101 Match Champion and SR1911. They are much better than the RIA handguns that went away. But the wife is right. They are in reality safe queens. Sure, I get them out and shoot them, but I almost never carry them. I carried at least one, sometimes two of the Armscor’s every day. I just was not afraid to carry them. Hope I never have to use them, but if I had to, a $200 or $400 firearm held for evidence would upset me, but a $900 one would make me cry.

Those that I have that are used for hunting are I little different I think. For example, I like my Gunsite Scout 308 a lot. I like my Spanish FR8 a lot too. Thankfully I did not trade off the FR8. It is now a backup to the Scout. My point is that my hunting rifles I am not afraid to use off the range. Unlike the handgun, if I use the rifle to take game, I am not afraid of having it locked away as evidence.

Reloading equipment can also be put in the same category I think. I have used a lot of Lee reloading equipment. Shot shells turned out on the Lee Loadall will take rabbits just as good as shot shells loaded on my MEC 600. The MEC is so much easier to load with though.

So to answer the question in this thread title? Yes, we are better off. In no case, firearm or loading equipment related, can I say that I prefer the cheaper stuff over the more expensive. I can say that the cheaper stuff is good enough, but can I tell a difference between the Armscor 200 and the Ruger SP101? Yes, I can. So here I am, about ready to leave out and buy provisions for the house. I have just leaned the SR1911, my favorite handgun, and it is going with me. Hopefully I will not have to use it, but if I do? Well....my life is worth $900. To me anyway.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,873 Posts
And in the same way I don't miss most of the Hipoints I sold/traded. Except it would have been nice to have kept a 995 for plinking, but just like you I have nicer substitutes.

Furthermore, my HP sales and trades helped others to get into a solid and reliable but affordable weapon!

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, when I told the wife that the derringer was only around $250, but the 1911 was 4 times that much, her remark was "so, your life is only worth $250?".

I’m thinking I like the new wife, she must of had an out of body experience, or something at the hospital.

·
Premium Member
35,751 Posts
Glad she’s doing better.
I have ZERO worries about a gun held after a shooting.

I’m more likely to get hit by a car.
And if they take my gun, it means I’m alive. That’s a win.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts