Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

How much ammo do you consider hoarding??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many have said the ammunition shortage is caused by hoarding. So what do you think? How much ammo do you consider hoarding.

Is your answer based on total ammo or by caliber?

EDIT: Values reset to higher amounts better?

·
Registered
366 Posts
i dont really hoard i shoot it as fast as i can get my hands on it :devilsidesmile:
need to start though

·
Banned
401 Posts
I don't really believe in "hoarding" persay, I have always kept a couple of thousand rounds at home and that has been for years now, I never know when I want to go out and pop a few hundred off and have some fun with the friends that shoot, I always make sure and have enough to cover my guns as well as my friends guns when needed, of course where I live, it takes a bit to get to town, so I buy what I can when I can get it, then often spend hours in the evening reloading ammo, I am hoping to find some 9mm brass so I can start loading them as well.

Dp

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
5000 rounds of anything really isn't that much, unless you have .50 BMG or something.

I would consider something in the realm of hundreds of thousands to be hoarding....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Just talked with the local WM, Ammo is coming in this weekend....... 10 Whole valupak (100 ct) boxes....... Little sweetie says she will hold 5 for me......... we will see !!!!!!!! Pick up first thing Monday morning she siad or will release to the public !!!!!

So, If I buy everything available when I go, is it ammo hoarding or just greedy......... should I do it and let every man for himself? Or be nice and leave a few boxes on the shelf for others?????????????????

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
My goal is to have in storage 1000 rounds for every weapon i own. 3000 9mm 1000 .45 acp at least a 440 rd tin of 7.62x54r, and i would like to have at least 2000 rounds of 7.62x39. This is in addition to what i use for general shooting.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
My goal is to have in storage 1000 rounds for every weapon i own. 3000 9mm 1000 .45 acp at least a 440 rd tin of 7.62x54r, and i would like to have at least 2000 rounds of 7.62x39. This is in addition to what i use for general shooting.
i think that is reasonable, its my goal too......

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just talked with the local WM, Ammo is coming in this weekend....... 10 Whole valupak (100 ct) boxes....... Little sweetie says she will hold 5 for me......... we will see !!!!!!!! Pick up first thing Monday morning she siad or will release to the public !!!!!

So, If I buy everything available when I go, is it ammo hoarding or just greedy......... should I do it and let every man for himself? Or be nice and leave a few boxes on the shelf for others?????????????????
If you are going to hoard, do it slowly. You don't want to be the jerk who made it impossible for someone to make it to the range this weekend.

You also don't want to be stuck with too many boxes from the same batch, if that batch had QA issues.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think several thousand rounds PER GUN, not just caliber, is reasonable. Heck, if my family goes out shooting and we each shoot a given gun we can go through a LOT of ammo in an afternoon. So per caliber is too restrictive.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily call keep ing more hoarding. I think hoarding is more a mindset than a number. The "I have to grab all I can" thinking rather than..."hey, they have 10 boxes. I'm OK, but for the price I'll pick up a few to add to the collection..."

·
Registered
452 Posts
Im with everyone here. When the stores do get ammo and Im first I never buy all of it, I always leave a box or two for the next guy. However if there is only a box or two well you know what happens there..lol..

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
I've been guilty of being that guy that cleans the shelves...but around here it's so hard to find ammo that if you do, you better grab it or some other shelf cleaner will get it all haha.

.22 and 9mm are the hardest to find around here.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That was my original thought to leave some for the next guy and will do that still...... I do have 300 rds. left yet also. That was a great suggestion about only buying SOME, in case the batch is bad. Thanks....... 8)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I do not think it is hoarding as much as I think it is shop owners/people stockpiling for resale. I have noticed a lot of ad's popping up trying to sell ammo at places like swapgiant for $10-$15 more a box then what it is going for. Even at that shop near me, same loose 100 cnt of WWB I bought at bass pro the day before for 23 was on his shelves for 32.99. Greed>Hording imo

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree bullseye. I live in a small community of only 1800 people.. The local gunshop has all the 9mm I could ever need in about 6 different brands. BUT he also has jacked his prices up $5-6 per box that I can buy it for 30 miles away at Fleet Farm or Wal Mart when/if they have it......

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen $25.00 per box of 50 blazer at Dicks Sporting Goods. I heard someone say Gander Mountain has it at $59.00

Opportunists to say the least.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I keep a few hundred per gun. If I plan on going shooting i replace the ones I shot. Now im down to 100 or so for my .45 and cant find any to buy. Someone somewhere bought a few more than they normally would. Now price has been effected because of it as well. Nice.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have 500 rounds of 9mm.When I find ammo,I only buy a few boxes.Its hard to find and I don't want to be the reason the next person can't go to the range or replenish their supply.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Buy what you can afford when you are ready to buy. If someone in line doesn't like that you bought it all up then politely invite them to be ahead of you in line next time. No such thing as hoarding or hogging. Do we honestly want somebody stepping in telling us we can only by X number of whatever it is we want? I don't. I don't hoard. I buy what and when I can afford it. I have a lot of ammo but no where near enough for all my guns. Some I could shoot several times, others maybe until the barrel melts off. Not enough yet.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I don't hoard ammo, I just keep for a rainy day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts